Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back into the hobby - from Maryland

Just popping in to introduce myself.

Friends call me Slip and I'm a long time Sim Racing painter/ designer and have been building scale NASCAR models since I was like.... 8. My uncle was big into the model and RC car hobby when I was young and to this kid in the early 90s, tiny cars I could build was coolest thing ever. I have no idea how many NASCAR models I built (or attempted) before heading off to college in the mid2000s, but it feels like I had to buy every new Revell / Monogram box I ever saw in the local hobby shop - and I made weekly trips there on my bike! Only a handful of my original cars from then survive today because I really didn't have a sentimental attachment then - but man, looking back on some of the paint schemes I had on my shelf I wish I had saved more of them!

After college life got in the way of most of my hobbies. Jobs, several big moves, marriage, kids - all the good stuff! I seriously only built one kit between 2004 and 2019..... But, we are pretty firmly planted now in the mountains of Central/ Western MD. Kids are both in school now, we finally own our own home, life is allowing the wife and I to get back into some of our respective passion projects - and for me, that means scouring shops/ online for decades old kits and decals to start building again!

My sweet spot is like 1997 - 2002 NASCAR. That was the peak of my (original) building talent and interest in NASCAR as a whole. But I know that I can bring some of my professional skills learned in the last 15 years as a graphic artist to the bench and probably tackle some builds I was always too anxious to try back in the day. From this point forward, I don't see myself building many 'box stock' kits - but using the old kits as donors for custom paint schemes that Revell never produced. I have a 2022 plan firmly in place and it is, so far, right on track. I'll post more about those in the build threads.

Anyway, enough rambling. I look forward to seeing everyone's work and learning new tips and tricks I can apply to my own work!

Edited by Slipster17

1 hour ago, Slipster17 said:

...I know that I can bring some of my professional skills learned in the last 15 years as a graphic artist to the bench and probably tackle some builds I was always too anxious to try back in the day.

Welcome. I look forward to seeing your work.    :D

My own real-world skills have made me a much better modeler than I ever imagined I would be over 50 years ago when I quit.

Lots of talented, skilled, and knowledgeable people here, a great place to learn new things and get new ideas.

• Like 1