Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage sewing machines

DPNM

5 hours ago, DPNM said:

And I take it you've been there Scott1?! Seems like it would be a cool place to look around. Sort of a museum with items for sale. It's great there is a place that still does that. 

The younger generation starting at 40 year old's is a wide margin. But if kids are buying them it may explain why they aren't into modeling LOL. They would have something to do with their hands though.

Oh yeah, LOVE that place. I've had a few of my typewriters fixed there. There is a documentary called "California Typewriter" that talks about a repair shop in CA and the "resurgence" of the typewriter. The doc was done by the same peeps would did "Rewind This" about VHS collecting (which I do as well).

Oh and check this out......    https://typewriterrevolution.com/manifesto

I double checked the serial number on the Singer this morning. It was made in the Elizabethport NJ factory in 1923. It turns 99 years old this year. Next year it is a true antique in a partial meaning of the word.

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:19 PM, DPNM said:

Too bad you let it go Bill. To my knowledge the Singer was not designed to sew heavy fabrics. 

The Pfaff is. It will sew regular material, heavier material like leather and denim and you can embroider with it. Those are the reasons I want to get it working. And it is a table model. Knee off/on.

Before I started truck driving I worked for Wyenberg Shoes in Portage Wi. All their machines were Singer. I did maintenance and mechanic work on them.

Everything there was still 40's and 50's era.

About 10 years ago I donated all my repair manuals to the local library.

20 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Before I started truck driving I worked for Wyenberg Shoes in Portage Wi. All their machines were Singer. I did maintenance and mechanic work on them.

Everything there was still 40's and 50's era.

About 10 years ago I donated all my repair manuals to the local library.

Did you work on any older ones Johnny? I need help sorting out what foot pedal I need to buy. All I see on eBay are 3 prong plugs like to one on my Pfaff. This is what I have and it's confusing the...heck...out of me.
965854256_singerplug.thumb.jpg.9a10302677a3a3bf8dffdeeaa9a09f47.jpg

The thick cord coming out of the bottom of the female plug is the power cord. The male plug is for the light. I have no idea what the foot pedal would plug into.

And no, as you can see I have not started to clean it up yet. I want to get what it needs to work then I will start to clean and lube it. And yes, I am going to replace the wiring first. It looks cool all vintage but that is spelled   f i r e  h a z a r d.

Edited by DPNM

My mum has around 20 of the singer sewing machines, some still on the foot power and some converted to electric. Growing up it seemed that every house i  visited had one, and now most of them are at mums house in the windows. As well as the complete sewing machines she has numerous of the cast iron legs in the greenhouse for growing tomatoes. I dont know the ages of any of them but all of them are black with the gold scrollwork and one has the scrollwork engraved on but i believe it was done later as I've never seen another engraved one. incidentaly there was a ship wreck on a reef on the small island I'm from that the whole cargo was singer machines which may be where a lot of them came from originally but thats conjecture on my part (but knowing how small islands work it very likelly as I've seen a boat go aground and the crew get rescued and by the next morning anything of any use or value was stripped and hidden but its probably the only time a henhouse has been fitted with radar, lol)

• Like 1

Wanted to get my mom's metallic blue '50s Kenmore but she gave it to my brother's kids, and they donated it somewhere later. I've had a fair amount of experience sewing Aztec costumes along with the other members of my dance group; the fun part for me was being able to create something without having to wait for paint to dry :lol:. I'm looking to get another machine soon (probably a heavy duty non-computerized Singer) so I can at least keep my clothes mended and maybe make a few things.

19 hours ago, stitchdup said:

My mum has around 20 of the singer sewing machines, some still on the foot power and some converted to electric. Growing up it seemed that every house i  visited had one, and now most of them are at mums house in the windows. As well as the complete sewing machines she has numerous of the cast iron legs in the greenhouse for growing tomatoes. I dont know the ages of any of them but all of them are black with the gold scrollwork and one has the scrollwork engraved on but i believe it was done later as I've never seen another engraved one. incidentaly there was a ship wreck on a reef on the small island I'm from that the whole cargo was singer machines which may be where a lot of them came from originally but thats conjecture on my part (but knowing how small islands work it very likelly as I've seen a boat go aground and the crew get rescued and by the next morning anything of any use or value was stripped and hidden but its probably the only time a henhouse has been fitted with radar, lol)

Your Mum has a nice collection Les. I'll be satisfied with two that work. 

If you'd like any of them dated send me a PM with the serial numbers.

I'd love to see a pic, or two, of the engraved one. Sounds cool.

1 minute ago, DPNM said:

Your Mum has a nice collection Les. I'll be satisfied with two that work. 

If you'd like any of them dated send me a PM with the serial numbers.

I'd love to see a pic, or two, of the engraved one. Sounds cool.

where would i find the serial numbers?

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Wanted to get my mom's metallic blue '50s Kenmore but she gave it to my brother's kids, and they donated it somewhere later. I've had a fair amount of experience sewing Aztec costumes along with the other members of my dance group; the fun part for me was being able to create something without having to wait for paint to dry :lol:. I'm looking to get another machine soon (probably a heavy duty non-computerized Singer) so I can at least keep my clothes mended and maybe make a few things.

Sorry you didn't get the Kenmore Chris. I'm a newbie at these things so I can't even recommend a Singer that does heavy material. The Pfaff I have does. 

Try thrift stores, garage/estate sales or church fund raisers. You may be able to get a good deal on one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

where would i find the serial numbers?

It should be on the front panel or on a small plate on older machines. If you look at the pic of mine in the first post my plate is on the right flat part below where the Singer badge is on the machine. It is Y1605574. If you click my post pic it should get pretty big. May take a couple clicks. The number is easy to see then.

Machines from the 1800s to 1900 do not have a letter prefix.

Edited by DPNM
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I asked a female friend this past weekend if she knew how to sew as I'm trying to find someone to teach me. She said she did not know how but a friend of hers gave her a sewing machine and she had no room for it. She said I could have it if I wanted it. I looked at it and instantly said I'd take it. It is a cabinet model. It is a Model 99K, the same model as the one I have in the mailbox style case in my first post. This one is from 1955, the same year as I am, again from Elizabethtown NJ.

I originally hoped it may be a different model but upon further reflection this may work out better. I can learn on the table model and if I want to go somewhere to sew I can take the portable model.

I tried it and it sews fine. I have to tweak the tension adjuster a little but my first attempt looks pretty good. I did break the needle when I tried it in reverse but the needle it came with may have been bent. I have to buy some needles for it so it will be about a week yet. There are a few other things I need for it that I will be getting at the same time.

This is it after a bit of cleaning. This is a video so if you click on it it should start.

Edited by DPNM

On 1/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, DPNM said:

I've come across a couple and I'd like to know if anyone on the forum is somewhat familiar with them. I have no experience with them at all. It is something I want to learn how to do though. 

I have a Singer that, IIRC, is from 1925. I'll have to look at the serial number again to verify. I just got a Pfaff model 130 made in 1954. This is the one I plan to use although I will try to get them both to function as they should. I need to clean them up and oil them. I need a belt and a foot pedal for the Singer and so far as I know now, a cord for the Pfaff.  I have not done anything to them yet.

Singer:
694090895_singer01001.thumb.jpg.0a3efb7b6bdc52677aff97e5d43c11fa.jpg

This is it's case:
singer02.thumb.jpg.c74fc78dc0de1d67bc33067fbce9b95b.jpg

Pfaff 130:
pfaff01.thumb.jpg.6d805e3a0c891fc183eff6ecc03b4b9e.jpg

I have the same one. Thanks Grandma

14 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Do you know what this unrestored machine would sell for? I am just gonna clean it up. Just curious I would never sell it. That maybe antique dust on it !!

Mike

I'm at work. I'll give a better response when I get home. 

Do NOT use water or alcohol on it. I'll send a link later to a video on how to clean it. 

If you give me the serial number I can find when and where it was made. Then I'll post a link to give you an idea of value. 

This is how I am going about cleaning mine. Important, the GoJo does not have pumice. I found the original at a local NAPA auto parts store. I also got a can of 3 in 1 oil there. There is a part 2.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

You are not using the proper brand lubrication?!! It's going to "gum up"! 😱😂

1288927752_PXL_20220304_0131272312.thumb.jpg.b4d58a2524df4a2decd04c2366b0a02a.jpg

Looks like a can of good stuff Casey. I am not using the 3 in 1 in the machine. If you watch the video he uses it after he applies the  UK version of Gojo to wipe down the outside.

I do have an unopened can of Pfaff sewing machine oil. I won't be opening it. I believe machine oil tech has gone past that point. I have some stuff that should work a whole lot better.

• DPNM changed the title to Vintage sewing machines