Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage sewing machines

DPNM

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I didn't see much online about these. Was that a blatant trademark ripoff by the Japanese company that made them, or were they somehow tied in with a GM promotion or something?

You got me Steve. I've tried multiple searches and have pretty much found no info at all on the Cadillac Sewing Machine Co. Near as I can tell these were made in Japan. It looks to be a clone of the Singer 15, which is/was the machine most copied. 

I've read that after WWII, while the US occupied Japan, the products they produced (in this case sewing machines) would have to say Occupied Japan or use the initials OJ somewhere on the product. This does not have that. The badge only says "The Cadillac Sewing Machine Co."

This one looks to me to be from around the mid to late '50s? Granted, this is conjecture on my part. I'm going by the decals. They aren't the elaborate scroll type as earlier models would (should) have. After the mid 50's the OJ requirement would have been over. 

This Cadillac machine has a serial number that starts with JC. I thought perhaps it was made for JC Penny. My search there only shows newer style machines, not the old cast type as this one.

I'm still searching. 

23 minutes ago, DPNM said:

You got me Steve. I've tried multiple searches and have pretty much found no info at all on the Cadillac Sewing Machine Co. Near as I can tell these were made in Japan. It looks to be a clone of the Singer 15, which is/was the machine most copied. 

I've read that after WWII, while the US occupied Japan, the products they produced (in this case sewing machines) would have to say Occupied Japan or use the initials OJ somewhere on the product. This does not have that. The badge only says "The Cadillac Sewing Machine Co."

This one looks to me to be from around the mid to late '50s? Granted, this is conjecture on my part. I'm going by the decals. They aren't the elaborate scroll type as earlier models would (should) have. After the mid 50's the OJ requirement would have been over. 

This Cadillac machine has a serial number that starts with JC. I thought perhaps it was made for JC Penny. My search there only shows newer style machines, not the old cast type as this one.

I'm still searching. 

I don't know either. One of the links I found gave a year of 1952 for the machine in question in the post. I think that would have been too late for Occupied Japan. It's a good riddle!

An ex of mine had an old Singer that her dad adapted a larger commercial motor to. With the right needle, it had the power to hem Levis. She made many wonderful things on that machine, including wedding dresses for some of my friends. She and I also reupholstered her couch using it. 

Maybe the Cadillac moniker can be protected as a car name, but I don't think the word can be trademarked.  There are geographical locations with that name (like the city of Cadillac, Michigan, Cadillac Mountain in Maine, and likely others).  It is likely perfectly ok to use it for a sewing machine company name.

I found another unrelated Cadillac company: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=5281

Edited by peteski

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-cadillac-1952-sewing-machine-1883837593

This was one of the few things I found about Cadillac sewing machines when I searched. They say that it says 1952 on their machine.

Sorry, misunderstood what you said. The decals on the Worthpoint  one are more in line with an older machine. As I do not know how long the cast versions were produced my machine may be from the 60s. I would think that the Japanese companies may have gone to the more current design by then.but...?

Here is a pic of my badge. 
120989182_caddybadge.thumb.JPG.e2fcefbb489904837d9e76f0700ea8f7.JPG

This is the instruction manual. Notice it does not have Cadillac in the banner scroll. It is left blank. This was probably produced for a number of MFGs or MFGs that sold the same machine under various names. There  is no name or decals on the instruction sheet cover's machine.

It is written in English. With a couple slight typos it is a good, well written manual. I remember reading translated Japanese dirt bike manuals from back in the 60s. The translations left a lot to be desired.
841806265_caddyinstr.thumb.JPG.f38602176d0794fafb6f1f94b40bb92b.JPG

I've spent some time today cleaning the Cadillac. It cleaned up pretty well except for the fact that the chrome plating wasn't triple chrome plated. There wasn't much chrome to begin with and many of the chrome parts have since rusted. I cleaned them the best I could but the plating is off on quite a few pieces. I've read that some of these machines can use Singer parts as direct replacement. I may look at doing that in the future.

Once I removed the motor I found this little tag:
642819779_caddybadge.thumb.JPG.fcc250dbaddcbd7c7b9e89bc1de08e2f.JPG

Well hidden. The penny is for comparative size purposes.

I also came across this article. With 5000+ "brands" I doubt I will ever be able to identify the year this was made.

https://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/2006/05/japanese-clones-of-40s-50s-and-60s.html

• 2 weeks later...

I've been practicing with both the cabinet Singer 99 and the Cadillac. I did this on the Singer last night:

flame1.thumb.JPG.6e2a68c9ec4f660b8c33c60c0b1b14a0.JPG
flame2.thumb.JPG.38d1c9e6ad87516cb986e58463034a7b.JPG

Just so you know, I use two different color threads. The top on the 99 is the white and the bobbin thread is red. I do this so I know the tension is set correctly. You should not see any white in the underneath stitching and no red on the top. As far as the flame attempt, I went with what I know. I don't think it was a bad first effort.

And if you don't mind my comparison of the two machines. I prefer the Cadillac. The dial for the stitch length on the Cadillac makes it so when you set the stitch length on the bottom of the dial it stops the lever at the same stitch length when you put the lever up in reverse. On the 99 in reverse you have to guess about where you need to be for stitch length. I can also lower the feed-dogs on the Cadillac. This will be easier to learn how to free hand sew. (The feed-dogs help push the material through the machine BTW). For the 99 I would need to buy a block off plate.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I'm still at this. Got this one a week ago. It's a Singer model 27. It was made at the Elizabethport NJ plant in 1910. This one is called a Sphinx model as it has two Sphinx decals. One on the bed center and one on the front upper right.

I wanted it as it is different than the other ones I have. This one has what they call a vibrating shuttle which, I believe, has to do with the way the bobbin operates. It looks like a side motion hammer stroke. 

The cabinet needs a lot of work also. The back has deteriorated badly,the bottom is no longer attached and a piece of the top where the machine lowers has a huge crack. I'm cleaning the machine up now as it was extremely dirty. I want to be able to handle it without harming more of the finish on it. It does have a motor which needs rewired.
singercraigs01.jpg.92e99b139515d44e6aa9aaae0fd21477.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is one member here who might not think these sewing machines should be on this auto based forum. Perhaps more members would agree.

Well...I picked this up over the past weekend. The seat base looks mighty bad and there is no pad for the back rest. I'm pretty sure all the sewing machines I have could sew up leather covers for it. It's a B-207 BTW. This is as found condition. Still needs some work before I try to start it.
allis207a.jpg.a2bd8aad1c800c90c8f950695b0fca5c.jpg
allis207b.jpg.78d4339fe2eb92dc7de6d9b51a1c196d.jpg

And old Allis Chalmers tractors are another thing I like. I've now got two. The B-207 and a B-110. Both should be from the late 1960s.
allis207b110.jpg.b2d3c13665bb9eefe71a063750182f16.jpg

Maybe I should start a thread asking if anyone is into old riding tractors.

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DPNM said:

I'm pretty sure there is one member here who might not think these sewing machines should be on this auto based forum. Perhaps more members would agree.

Really?  Even in the Off-Topic lounge section? What's the problem?

The description of this section of the forum states "General discussions on anything EXCEPT politics or religion! Keep it clean... all forum rules apply!".

Edited by peteski

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Really?  Even in the Off-Topic lounge section? What's the problem?

The description of this section of the forum states "General discussions on anything EXCEPT politics or religion! Keep it clean... all forum rules apply!".

Doesn't matter to a comprehension-challenged few.

There have been occasional posters apparently incapable of grasping the concept of "off topic".

Stupid doesn't care about word meanings.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, peteski said:

Maybe the Cadillac moniker can be protected as a car name, but I don't think the word can be trademarked.

Exactly. But Cadillac Bread (or sewing machines, or buckets, or hammers, or pet food, etc.) wouldn't be an infringement under the usual, reasonably rational interpretation of the law.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 5/17/2022 at 5:45 PM, DPNM said:

Yep, I'm still at this. Got this one a week ago. It's a Singer model 27. It was made at the Elizabethport NJ plant in 1910. This one is called a Sphinx model as it has two Sphinx decals.

So this is #5? 😄

Laughing with you, not at you. Old machinery is neat, and often fairly inexpensive making it easy to unintentionally start collecting. $50, sure I can use another table saw... The little tractor is nice too.

7 hours ago, Aaronw said:

So this is #5? 😄

And counting LoL!

I paid $20 for the Singer 27. Pretty much the cost of a fast food meal. I have no doubt it will work as it was designed 122 years ago. I hate to see these go to landfills. 

I'll take all the free ones I can find and if I find one I'd really like I'll buy it, if it's cheap of course. I do have a friend who may need one. I haven't spoken to her recently but I plan to see if she could use one. I'll give her the Singer 99 in the cabinet.

Well, found another. This one is a Franklin. They were made by the Domestic Sewing Machine Co and sold through Sears & Roebuck. The serial number records are pretty much non existent so I do not know when this one was made. It is a copy of the Singer 27 (the machine I got previous to this one). I think from the decals this might be an Egyptian model as there are scarab beetles on it. I'm not sure. The Egyptian model was to compete with the Singer 27 Sphinx.

I wanted it as it is a treadle model in a small cabinet. The machine and treadle move freely. It needs a new belt and the front slide plate is missing. I tried the slide plate from the Singer 27 and it fits fine. I will switch between the two as needed, for now. It even has the key for the door.

I didn't really want another machine as I have more than enough projects I'm working on. I saw it so I tried to get it before it was gone. I did and it was fairly cheap and real close to my house (gas prices ya know).

Pics are in "as found" condition.

franklin01.thumb.JPG.c52389abc7082b9bd862b08a1c01c9a7.JPG

franklin02.JPG

• DPNM changed the title to Vintage sewing machines