Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Atlantis (ex-Monogram) Funny Car Kits

Casey

Atlantis just shared an image of some painted test shot bodies and parts for their forthcoming 1/32 (ex-Monogram) Chevy Camaro Funny Car, as well as the Charger, Mustang, and Duster bodies, kits of which will hopefully follow at some point-- the latter three are not on the release schedule as of now, just the '70-ish Camaro and the '74+ Vega for now.

"Just received test shots of 4 1/32 Tom Daniel Funny Car stretched bodies....Each kit will have properly done new artwork and decals with original decals as well. Artwork and graphics by Kelly Daniel. Molded in clear, black, silver and 2 body colors TBD."

132MonoFCtestshotbodies.jpg.0ef3915e2be2afa2be279a18416533fa.jpg

These are the originals(Charger and Gremlin not pictured) from the 1980 Monogram catalog:

Mono132FCs1980.jpg.c3f60e13d38d48f7b3d173779b55cae3.jpg.0b28bf269a49621b52c11ffe18022b68.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I was glad to see the Charger body, which wasn't part of the most recently re-issued group of three under the Luminators series:

132LuminatorsCamaroFC.jpg.49b90e611745f3bb400bd6dd5e586fd0.jpg

132LuminatorsDusterFC.jpg.9e19c140650606964005b400f468f286.jpg

132LuminatorsMustangFC.jpg.76753a0c03aa1d1cda6cba5cc5ed7b87.jpg

Casey Did you notice that the original 6 car had tin work and no side wings ,when they were reissued they got side wings and no tin work .  

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

Casey Did you notice that the original 6 car had tin work and no side wings ,when they were reissued they got side wings and no tin work .  

I read you mentioned that on their facebook post. Guess we'll see soon enough if those parts are included.

Meanwhile, on Instagram (you really should follow Atlantis there...) comes this test build of the Charger:

Screenshot_20220212-125554.png.7313a4c38c2ca77d84173502902be4ee.png

Edited by Casey

51 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I want the GREMLIN!

Same here. Hopefully the appearance of the Charger is a sign Atlantis will or has acquired licensing from...Stellantis? I would like to build the Mustang II, too. 😁

These are great subjects for a slump buster or 24-hour build, too. Not too complex, generic enough to appeal to a wide range of folks, and a great canvas for custom paint and/or decals.

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I thought Atlantis was only doing the Earthquake Vega & Whiplash Camaro , good to see the others coming . 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, Casey said:

*snip* the latter three are not on the release schedule as of now, just the '70-ish Camaro and the '74+ Vega for now.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Casey said:

Atlantis just shared an image of some painted test shot bodies and parts for their forthcoming 1/32 (ex-Monogram) Chevy Camaro Funny Car, as well as the Charger, Mustang, and Duster bodies, kits of which will hopefully follow at some point-- the latter three are not on the release schedule as of now, just the '70-ish Camaro and the '74+ Vega for now.

"Just received test shots of 4 1/32 Tom Daniel Funny Car stretched bodies....Each kit will have properly done new artwork and decals with original decals as well. Artwork and graphics by Kelly Daniel. Molded in clear, black, silver and 2 body colors TBD."

132MonoFCtestshotbodies.jpg.0ef3915e2be2afa2be279a18416533fa.jpg

These are the originals(Charger and Gremlin not pictured) from the 1980 Monogram catalog:

Mono132FCs1980.jpg.c3f60e13d38d48f7b3d173779b55cae3.jpg.0b28bf269a49621b52c11ffe18022b68.jpg

Someone forgot the side wings on the Mustang II.....

Seriously, I'd prolly buy all of these just for the fun of building them

14 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Someone forgot the side wings on the Mustang II.....

Kind of funny that the canard wings are present at all, as they didn't last long on the real cars.

Another image straight from Atlantis:

Screenshot_20220215-010012.png.febcec8f7a656ba92e28c83a7407f6a9.png

Edited by Casey

On 2/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, Casey said:

Same here. Hopefully the appearance of the Charger is a sign Atlantis will or has acquired licensing from...Stellantis? I would like to build the Mustang II, too. 😁

These are great subjects for a slump buster or 24-hour build, too. Not too complex, generic enough to appeal to a wide range of folks, and a great canvas for custom paint and/or decals.

Well if they're going to offer the Fiat Gassar as a FIAT Gasser they would have to been in the process of securing licensing from the Mothership as it were, Stellantis is subsidiary and it's not like Mopar has been particularly hard to deal with in the past in terms of kit licensing.  The best part of the news from a big picture perspective is that it unlocks the ability with further licensing tweaks to produce anything in their inventory that's "Stellantis" and Ford related - something that didn't exist while they were GM only.

So glad these are back, I have a soft spot for them because I remember them from when I was a kid. I actively bought them all about 10 years ago on Ebay, before the prices went nuts, but I will get these too.  I hope they make the Gremlin also, that is the hardest one to get. It would be nice if they had the early issue body tins in them, but it looks like they are the later issues.  I would like to see the Vanana Split and Streeto Vandito again too, along with the ambulance and police versions too. Very possible it would seem if the funny cars sell well.

1 hour ago, PintoKING said:

I wonder what happened to the molds of the 1/32 scale car kits by Lindberg

Please, let's not derail this topic any further.

Here's an existing topic discussing those kits:

Edited by Casey