Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2022. GMC Astro 95, Export Version!

This is my export version of the GMC Astro 95. I didn't plan on doing an export specific build but during WIP I found a pic of one with an awesome paint scheme so decided to go with it. Cab was lowered which involved quite a bit of work. Wiper arms are scratch built and the rear wheels were modified to close up the gap between the tyres. I also levelled the engine a bit so it didn't look like the gearbox mount had just let go! A couple of the unique features are the rectangular headlights and driving lights in the bumper. I couldn't make an exact copy as the kit doesn't have the parts. Thanks for following in WIP, I always enjoy these big rig builds, it's finding a space to put them is the problem! lol.

DSC02606.JPG

DSC02607.JPG

DSC02609.JPG

DSC02611.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great! I like the open vent! I have been wanting to try that but haven’t been brave enough to attempt it yet. Excellent work!

Thanks Brian. Just scribe around the panel line and clean up the edges with some fine sand paper. I did end up scratch building the vent door as my blade was too wide when I cut it out, but it's just a bit of flat styrene.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:00 AM, happy grumpy said:

Great build of the Astro. Beautiful paint job too. like you I am running out of space especially for big rigs. 

Thanks, Mario. Yeah, they take up a lot of space, but man, I just love semi cab builds.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, PappyD340 said:

Great looking GMC!

Thanks man. 

On 3/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, Gary Chastain said:

Very nice

Cheers mate.

On 3/27/2022 at 11:34 PM, Toys4Don2 said:

Beautiful looking truck. Had no idea there were export versions.  

Seems quite a few were. I don't know whether they were exported privately or if GMC had some sort of overseas deal.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:15 AM, slusher said:

Beautiful and clean built semi! Excellent work Gareth

Thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great lorry!  I'm kind of surprised that there were export-market versions of the Jimmy -- esp. a left-hand-drive model (are lorries exempt from the RHD conversion?).

I can imagine how that Rocky Mountain Hummingbird must've sounded overseas.

Edited by 1972coronet

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Great lorry!  I'm kind of surprised that there were export-market versions of the Jimmy -- esp. a left-hand-drive model (are lorries exempt from the RHD conversion?).

I can imagine how that Rocky Mountain Hummingbird must've sounded overseas.

Thanks John. I don't know if GMC had an export contract or what but there were plenty of them sent over seas. Judging by the picture I based this off of and seeing how many were in service over here I'd say GMC had some sort of export deal going on. There's no law in the UK that bans LHD vehicles, though I think New Zealand does but I could be wrong on that one but I know UK doesn't have an issue with it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks John. I don't know if GMC had an export contract or what but there were plenty of them sent over seas. Judging by the picture I based this off of and seeing how many were in service over here I'd say GMC had some sort of export deal going on. There's no law in the UK that bans LHD vehicles, though I think New Zealand does but I could be wrong on that one but I know UK doesn't have an issue with it.

Thanks much for the info! I'd neglected to enquire: how about amber turn signals on the rear? Perhaps I'm answering my own query here, but I've seen photos and videos of the 1967 GMC Suburban which The Pink Floyd Sound used to transport their instruments, but I didn't notice amber turn signals... unless they were added to the bumper or rear-sides of the truck?

22 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for the info! I'd neglected to enquire: how about amber turn signals on the rear? Perhaps I'm answering my own query here, but I've seen photos and videos of the 1967 GMC Suburban which The Pink Floyd Sound used to transport their instruments, but I didn't notice amber turn signals... unless they were added to the bumper or rear-sides of the truck?

I can't find any pics of this truck from the rear, only the front, but I'd assume it would have amber indicators for European law. I forgot to add some on my build, though the front has them. From the very little info I could find, this particular truck was either a prototype or exported to Europe. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, gotnitro? said:

very nice Mack ! I heard these kits were very challenging to build, looks like you nailed  it

The paint scheme and small pinstripes really shows well on the cab

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, the pinstripes were a pain to do freehand. The kit wasn't too bad actually. Lowering the cab was a bit of a challange though, but worked out nicely.