Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need to get another display cabinet

I've been redoing my office for what seems like forever, and I got tired of everything being in boxes so last night I decided to pull out some of my stuff and fill up the antique display cabinet I bought last year. I guess I'm gonna need to buy another one haha  I reorganized a few shelves in my living room too

top shelf: my mock ups/current builds

top interior shelf: mostly GMP disecasts

shelf 2: survivor model shelf other than the falcon funny car

shelf 3: mostly 1:64 with some other stuff mixed in

shelf 4: 1:24 dubs type, mostly trucks

living room shelf: mixture of stuff

Now I need to finish the base for my bookshelf and get that in the office. I unfortunately don't see myself refinishing my wood floors anytime soon so  I may as well display my the hot rod based art, the books and other stuff I've collected over the last 25 years 

20220401_212130.jpg

20220401_212139.jpg

20220401_212144.jpg

20220401_212149.jpg

20220401_212155.jpg

20220401_212200.jpg

20220401_212316.jpg

Keep checking Craigslist. I got 2 on there over the years. Sometimes the people just wand to get rid of them so if your lucky, you can get one for cheap. Downside is you gotta go pick it up. I think those days are over for me. Starting to get up there.

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

Keep checking Craigslist. I got 2 on there over the years. Sometimes the people just wand to get rid of them so if your lucky, you can get one for cheap. Downside is you gotta go pick it up. I think those days are over for me. Starting to get up there.

Im always searching. I enjoy the hunt for stuff. The desk/bookcase in/for my office (for example) came out of an abandoned warehouse and are over 100 years old. I have to build the base for the bookcase still. I HATE new furniture. its all built so cheap

20 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

Im always searching. I enjoy the hunt for stuff. The desk/bookcase in/for my office (for example) came out of an abandoned warehouse and are over 100 years old. I have to build the base for the bookcase still. I HATE new furniture. its all built so cheap

Nice score!

• Like 1

Never enough space.  I have 6 display cases in the house for some of my Cobra collection plus a couple of cabinets in my garage.  No more for me as I have decided and have been unloading some stuff. Don't want the wife stuck with my collection. Can't take it with you !

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Never enough space.  I have 6 display cases in the house for some of my Cobra collection plus a couple of cabinets in my garage.  No more for me as I have decided and have been unloading some stuff. Don't want the wife stuck with my collection. Can't take it with you !

My goal is to get all of my hobbies organized to the point where the family doesnt need to worry about where stuff is. Im also thinning out my collection of 1:1 parts to stuff I know Ill use and then it gets organized by what its bought for. Im 42, so I hopefully have some years ahead of me.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mike C. said:

Nice score!

Thanks! it was shear luck. the whole thing when assembled at a unit is about 8 feet tall and 8 ft long. Thats when I decided to build a stainless base for the shelving where I can display my vintage wheels. the bottom units are becoming an L shaped desk. Once my last 2 customer projects are done, its next on my list. Ive procrastinated long enough

You might want to keep an eye open for any moving or large garage sales. Sometimes people are moving and don't have room or want to have an older cabinet in their new residents. These can often be bought for pennies on the dollar.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

You might want to keep an eye open for any moving or large garage sales. Sometimes people are moving and don't have room or want to have an older cabinet in their new residents. These can often be bought for pennies on the dollar.  

Im always searching

Check for closing or closed businesses that are clearing out displays. Lots of display store stuff out there can be picked up for cheap a the moment. I know it is a sad situation for them, but why let that stuff end up in a landfill. 

Also, check local auction houses that do business or school equipment auctions. A few years back we cleared out some museum quality display cases from a science class, those where some really nice tall glass and wood display cases. 

Reach out to management office at a nearby mall.  Tenant's leave stuff behind that needs a home.  I used to work for the company that bought a mall in Ashland KY.  They recently sold it to a developer and donated all the fixtures to a charitable company that will sell it.  (Search Kyova Mall)

Check smaller thrift stores.  One near me gets cabinets all the time and they put them on the sidewalk in front of the store for a few bucks as they don't have the floor space to keep them inside.