Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reccomended clear over enamel

I am in the middle of a commission build for a buddy and he wanted a specific paint. Color he choose is Model Master enamel Kiln Red. I thinned it and shot it with the airbrush. Paint is fine but I want to use a clear on it that won't yellow after time and that also won't have any negative impact on the enamel paint. Any thoughts on what I may do?

• 2 weeks later...

Lacquers by their nature are thinned with the hottest of solvents, and so tend (often, not always) to cause lifting, bubbling, and wrinkling of 'cooler' solvent-based paints, such as enamels.  Trad Testors, Pactra, etc are like Rustoleum in that they are 'cool' slow solvent-based.  I respectfully submit that anyone who avoids these defects putting lacquer as a top-coat is either spraying it on in a very thin coat (mil-depth) or just lucky.  I've never had any problems with 1/1 professional clears over most paints, but not if they are applied thickly.  Everyone has their own system.  Like with like is the safest!  

Regardless of what you intend on using, be absolutely certain that the color coats are completely cured before spraying anything over it.

With Testors enamel, that could take weeks!

That said, I agree with Carl.

Testors clear lacquer is completely benign and won't harm the enamel.

Just use light coats.

A little polishing in the end might be required as well, or at least beneficial.

Steve