Model Cars Magazine Forum

Otaki 1/12 scale 1971 (?) Mustang Mach 1

cobraman

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cobraman said:

The engine ( such as it is ) in installed .

0294D3FD-B283-433F-AB50-E6DB253B9F4A.jpeg

Seeing that carb that’s included with the kit I’m thinking I will have to order one online even though the air cleaner hides it so I have one when ever I get around to building my kit.  That looks like a one barrrel carb on a 7 liter motor. 😉

2B4CFD19-290C-4E81-A55E-BB619E0B5280.jpeg

• Like 1

Agreed !  Tiny as are the stock kit mufflers. Carb will be hidden but the mufflers will not so I am trying to make or find something I can replace them with. Failing that I will install the kit ones and just not look at the bottom. 😀

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Agreed !  Tiny as are the stock kit mufflers. Carb will be hidden but the mufflers will not so I am trying to make or find something I can replace them with. Failing that I will install the kit ones and just not look at the bottom. 😀

I can look at my kit but what do you think of the dash gauges?  I managed to get 1/12 gauges made for the GT350 Revell kit thanks to Michael at Best Model Car Parts and perhaps he could do a set for this Mach1 kit.  I’m sure someone else out there would be interested in a set.  He can probably just resize the set he sells now up to 1/12.

6A164B22-D09B-4EA2-8798-566B3019EFE3.jpeg

On 4/29/2022 at 3:28 PM, cobraman said:

The engine ( such as it is ) in installed .

0294D3FD-B283-433F-AB50-E6DB253B9F4A.jpeg

Otaki sure made good representations of Buick nailhead V8s with a one barrel carburetor!

BTW, I don't think the PCV valve (yellow wire to the valve cover) should connect to the carb. It usually connects to the air cleaner or intake manifold. 

It's meant to relieve combustion pressure from the engine block and I don't think you want to have gas fumes mixed with engine oil.

17 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Otaki sure made good representations of Buick nailhead V8s with a one barrel carburetor!

BTW, I don't think the PCV valve (yellow wire to the valve cover) should connect to the carb. It usually connects to the air cleaner or intake manifold. 

It's meant to relieve combustion pressure from the engine block and I don't think you want to have gas fumes mixed with engine oil.

The pcv hose does connect to the base of the carb on this year Mustang.  On my 351C on the other valve cover the breather connect via a hose to the air cleaner which has a small filter to keep out the oil blow by.

2BFB4082-9B7B-4AB2-9174-2AAD385999E4.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

True but I'm just following directions. You wont be able to tell when the the air cleaner is on.

• Like 1

Looking good.  I think I I know the answer but did you put the batteries in the gas tank?  That explains the “switch” on the bottom.  When I built one of these about 40 years ago I did all the lighting.  I did such a bad paint job and the windshield and cowl area cracked after several moves so I ended up selling some of the parts and kept some.  I have a “brand new” one which I hope to get to someday.