Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pickup truck bed topper?

One came in the rare AMT '77 F-350 and one came in the AMT Chevy 3500 street machine version. There must have been more than one street machine version as the one I have just has a bed cover. I would do a search on ebay. Surely someone casts one.

There were many 1/24 & 1/25 kits that included camper shells. A few come to mind like:

MPC 77 Dodge pickup. 

Monogram Chevy Luv. 

MPC 76 Datsun pickup. 

AMT 78 Courier pickup (currently available)

Revell 80 Datsun 4x4 pickup.

Revell Jeep Honcho pickup. 

AMT 70 Chevy pickup annual. 

AMT 63 Ford pickup annual. 

MPC 81 El Camino. 

Monogram 78 El Camino (currently available).

Probably others that I've forgotten. 

I'm sure there are/were aftermarket sources that provided them too. Would be a hoot if any of them were actually made of fiberglass!

I've thought it would be fun to make a 60s type, box camper to put on an older truck. Shouldn't be too hard - it's just a box!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

12 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Thank you. This is the one I was thinking of. My thought was after the way you described how you built yours it would be a great blueprint for anyone wanting to build one of their own. 

15 hours ago, Plowboy said:

One came in the rare AMT '77 F-350 and one came in the AMT Chevy 3500 street machine version. There must have been more than one street machine version as the one I have just has a bed cover. I would do a search on ebay. Surely someone casts one.

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Personally, I'd love to find the canopy that came with the AMT C3500 kit. Haven't been able to find the full kit on eBay either. Admitted, I haven't spent a ton of time looking.

I don't believe it was in the 3500 street machine. I think it was in the stock extended cab c1500 snap kit.

The GMC street machine kit, the one with a picture of a white truck on the box, has a dually rear wheel setup and the wide fender extensions. That would be a 3500 series body. In 1/25th scale it can be whatever you want it to be. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I don't believe it was in the 3500 street machine. I think it was in the stock extended cab c1500 snap kit.

I've honestly never seen the kit with the topper. But, I've seen a few built that had them. They were always the 3500. 

IMG_1282E.jpg.8b2ae7db83a1a1af4aa2d629233d4923.jpg.f551984fa1ca6b6dd7546d430eec1035.jpg

• Like 1