Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Guilty Pleasure" Music?

On 5/1/2022 at 5:52 AM, TonyK said:

I don't consider the early Bee Gees or the Beach Boys "guilty pleasure" because I grew up with them and liked the music then and still do today. Same with the Four Seasons or anything similar from back then.

Yes, I like the hard rock and similar rock music but what comes to mind is hearing the Go-Go's or Abba. Something about Belinda Carlisle's voice does it for me and I just enjoy hearing the voices of the 2 women blending together with Abba. Don't really like the songs but the voices I can appreciate. 

I was just going to say I’m a closet ABBA lover my self!😂 don’t ask….

11 minutes ago, jaftygas said:

I was just going to say I’m a closet ABBA lover my self!😂 don’t ask….

I'm a HUGE fan of the Cardigans! I just can't get enough of Nina Persson's voice........ I call them an 'ironic ABBA' as they're also from Sweden........

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 4:47 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sometimes this old generic mall music takes me back to a better time...back when I believed people were mostly decent and reasonably intelligent.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:47 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sometimes this old generic mall music takes me back to a better time...back when I believed people were mostly decent and reasonably intelligent.

You’re serious aren’t you? 👍

On 5/2/2022 at 7:16 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I don't really have guilty pleasure music. I like all types of music, and I'm not embarrassed to discuss any of them.

Back in high school though, different story! I hid every musical pleasure that wasn't metal. It just wasn't cool to admit you liked pop or dance music. Admit that I loved Depeche Mode or The Police or New Order or Duran Duran? While wearing ripped jeans, high tops, and an Exodus t-shirt? No way!

Me too! I was a closet Journey lover. 

I don't have any "guilty pleasures" really... I like what I like.

But as a metalhead (mostly), people are shocked when they find out I listen to Depeche Mode, The Sisters of Mercy, and Enya. Earlier this week at work I was cranking Bjork more or less all day and today there were a few tracks by Michael McDonald mixed in with the more typical Death and Morbid Angel.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve become a huge fan of Gary Numan’s early stuff.  I’d known about the song “cars”, but never heard anything else from him.

I found that album a couple of years ago and now I can’t get enough.  Kinda weird for me since I’m predominantly into 80’s metal and hard rock.  I play guitar and am drawn to guitar driven music, but there isn’t any on Pleasure Principle.

• 2 weeks later...

Way back in the mid 90s, My good friends were getting ready to record their 2nd full album at Studio 4 (after the moved it to Conshohocken PA). At the time, their manager was shopping around for somebody with some production creed, and he brought this guy down from New York named Godfred Dimond to help. When we heard he and his brother were behind this song, we thought this would be good for a laugh. As we got to know him it was obvious that they were only in this disco hit for the easy money. He began telling us how he was good friends with all of the Ramones, Lou Reed, David Johansen, Johnny Thunders and Ritchard Hell. Then we really clicked with him. A quick google search let me know that he is still around. Latly, I have been hearing this song on Chevy commercials. A real ear worm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can say all the derogatory things you want about the Bee Gees and the horrible disco era stuff they did (I can almost excuse them because it made them all rich). the truth is, in the early days they were 3 great and gifted songwriters. I remember hearing songs like this on AM radio as a kid, years before I ever had any failed loves under my belt. I'm glad we had a chance to enjoy them while they were still with us. R.I.P. Robin and Maruice.

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...