Model Cars Magazine Forum

Antique transistor radio

oldscool

This radio once belonged to my grandfather. He bought it back in the sixties just to listen Cincinnati Reds ball games because he couldn't get them on TV where he lived (only got one channel back then).

When I acquired it I cleaned 55-60 yrs of nicotine buildup off of it and put batteries in it and it works just fine. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it as there posts about old stereo equipment etc.

As you can see the back cover is in poor shape and I wish I could make the tuning knob clear again. Also the little button operated light for the tuner dial doesn't work anymore. When I first turned it on I was reminded of what 60 cycle hum does to AM signal.

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

• Like 2

I love old radios and such. I used to have an old Philips "Bullet" table top radio from the early 30s similar to the pic below. Still worked fine but not much to listen too around here on AM radio. One of my friends fell in love with it so I gave it to him. He displays it proudly in his kitchen now.

Philco Model 38-10 "Bullet" Table Radio

Check out this video Gerald. It might work for you to get that dial back to the right color..

Cool. I really like seeing old dinosaurs like that restored and used.

I have something kinda similar that my father had over 60 years ago...AM, FM, shortwave, fire and police and "weather" bands.

The batteries had leaked internally, and I didn't expect it to function, but after a careful cleanup it works great.

I have a '40s-vintage Philco wooden-case 78RPM record player/radio combo I'm trying to find tubes for too.

Vintage PHILCO Tube Record Player And Radio Needs Servicing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I love old radios and such. I used to have an old Philips "Bullet" table top radio from the early 30s similar to the pic below. Still worked fine but not much to listen too around here on AM radio. One of my friends fell in love with it so I gave it to him. He displays it proudly in his kitchen now.

Philco Model 38-10 "Bullet" Table Radio

Check out this video Gerald. It might work for you to get that dial back to the right color..

Thanks very much Steve. I'm going to give that a try.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have something kinda similar that my father had over 60 years ago...AM, FM, shortwave, fire and police and "weather" bands.

The batteries had leaked internally, and I didn't expect it to function, but after a careful cleanup it works great.

I have a '40s-vintage Philco wooden-case 78RPM record player/radio combo I'm trying to find tubes for too.

Vintage PHILCO Tube Record Player And Radio Needs Servicing Of

Man, I love that thing.

3 minutes ago, DPNM said:

I helped a friend clean out his sisters house after she passed away. I got a couple old sewing machines and this. I looked it up when I got it home and IIRC it is from 1933.
philco01.thumb.jpg.71740ed9fae32e456cb5276fa3e532f2.jpg

Good looking old Philco Cathedral. I bet that would clean up very nicely. 

26 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Good looking old Philco Cathedral. I bet that would clean up very nicely. 

I may do that at some point. Right now I am more interested in the sewing machines so this is a back burner.

Edited by DPNM

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Vintage PHILCO Tube Record Player And Radio Needs Servicing

When my wife and I go out antiquing I always spot old radio tubes. We live in the Chicago area and there are a lot of stores. Grage and estate sales are probably the best. The older the house the better finds are lurking there. 

Good luck in your hunt

Mike

51 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

When my wife and I go out antiquing I always spot old radio tubes...

Thanks Mike.

I'm not very knowledgeable about tube equipment, but I've been buying old cross-reference books and specification manuals to get a handle on what will work.

When I first clicked on this subject I expected to see the little transistor radios you held in your hand but these are really cool. The mention of old shortwave radios reminded me of one I had from my Dad that was huge and made of metal. Can't find anything like it on the Internet.

52 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

This was my wife's great grandmas radio bought around 1939.

These things were not cheap!

Still works!

Pretty cool.

Considering the first audio radio transmission (voice) was made in 1900 (and the first radio news program aired in about 1920), it was still relatively new technology, though well developed, in 1939. 

People often seem to forget how recently humans, as a species, began using mathematics and science to better their existence here.

It's also wise to remember that things like radio and airplane wings and engines and computer chips don't function because of "opinions" and "alternative interpretations" of reality.

Physics doesn't care about feelings.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webestang said:

Love old radios........the wooden one on top of the console tv in the middle was my great grand pappy's (AM and shortwave). 

mjCfnU1.jpg

My Great Aunt had that exact TV! Still had it when she passed away in 1990 and it looked brand new!

Almost was, only got used about two hours 6 days a week give or take an hour if we were visiting but we kids could only watch for half an hour sitting on her plastic covered furniture.

Her husband was a farmer and only watched the morning news and farm report and the evening news. But no TV on Sundays.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

My Great Aunt had that exact TV! Still had it when she passed away in 1990 and it looked brand new!

Almost was, only got used about two hours 6 days a week give or take an hour if we were visiting but we kids could only watch for half an hour sitting on her plastic covered furniture.

Her husband was a farmer and only watched the morning news and farm report and the evening news. But no TV on Sundays.

Where as in my family the TV was the main source of entertainment and was on a lot.

I paid $50 bucks for mine at an estate sale 6 years ago. Perfect condition, everything works, radio, turntable and TV. Thinking of using one of my VHS players to watch some old BW movies. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:38 AM, stavanzer said:

Izzat a Bell & Howell 8mm Movie Projector, in front of the TV Screen?

It looks a lot like the one my Dad still has.

Customers at the camera store I work at drop off so many 8mm (16mm also) movie projectors I have amassed quite the collection. I think I have somewhere around 40 8mm projectors ranging from the 1930's to the 80's. Including 5 or 6 16mm projectors.  

8LbDcv6.jpg

IxtTtpP.jpg

All of them work. I also have a dozen or so slide projectors. And I also collect cameras and typewriters.