Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

4 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Is the '66 Buick Skylark the kit that was turned into the Mod Stock Buick?

Even if it wasn't I'll be all over that kit. I like AMT Buicks of that vintage.

Yes.

It was transformed into this incarnation of ugliness. 

AMT%20T189-225%20skylarkslnm.JPG

Depending on the availability of the original kit parts, I would think that this might be a very viable future Round-2 project.

Maybe with the addition of the Lindbeg '66 Chevelle chassis and a Buick engine from the AMT '66 Riv kit?

Are you listening Round-2?  :D

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

Thank you Tim, you are exactly right.  I couldn't have explained it any better.  I can confirm that we would not be getting an all new modern Dodge Charger if it wasn't for the factory CAD data files, It's just that simple.   To bring a all new vintage subject to market without CAD data these days is tremendous undertaking.  Even with the data every singe part has to be converted to a injectable shape that can be assembled without any fasteners.  it's an art in it's self. 

If somehow we had found the old original Coronet RT tooling, restored it and ran it warts and all we'd be heroes.  Yet reverse engineering and the improving the exact same item is inexcusable in some eyes because we didn't go far enough.  I guess time and sales the numbers will tell us if we made the right call and help us decide if we ever do it again.

-Steve     

That's all that had to be said, if the expected return didn't justify the amount to design a modern style tooling that's something I can understand. Saying the choice was made because "old kits have a fun factor" sounds like public relations speak.

And yes, if the old tool could have been found and run again that would have been great and no one would expect anything other than what it originally was. But when something brand new was created and purposefully made in outdated style and the reason given doesn't make any sense it draws some questioning.

So, I withdraw my complaint.

• Like 1

Re: '66 Buick.

The engine in the kit is pretty good, actually. The Manifold, Carbs, and Velocity Stacks for the optional 4 pairs of Webber Carbs are still in the kit. A nice set of Promo Style 5 spoke Buick Mags are on the chrome tree too. The have the huge Promo-Style axle bosses on the back. Really weird that they wound up there. Not much else remains in the box though. All of the parts shown in the instruction sheet (FOR THE ENGINE ONLY) are still on the sprues in the box.

If Round2 were to bring it back, I would encourage them to leave the huge Racing wheels, and Rolls bars, Skid Plates, Ect in the kit, and use the treaded Steamroller Tires from the old Batmobile Kit, to allow the wheel wheels/fenders to be kit back to still build it as a Dirt Track car. Fix the Body, restore the other original parts, and you would have a true 3'n'1 kit.

1966 Skylark Instructions part 1

Edited by stavanzer

In keeping to the topic of the upcoming release of the 68 Coronet R/T convertible kit;  upon reading Tim Boyd's comments on this subject, he mentioned possible future variants on this and the hardtop kits .  I think there is a hint here.  Speculation on my part but could we very well a have drag car version of the 68 Coronet, ie the Fever Bee down the line somewhere?

Dodge Feverbee box.jpg

Edited by GMP440
correction
  • Like 1

There was a Craftsman 66 Skylark too. I’d guess that’s basis. Full detail annual was converted, but the annual was nice kit. Great body, looks the part. 63 Falcon Sprint convert and 63 Corvair might be around too. 
69 Coronet obvs likely, they were scarce to start with, esp convert. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I appreciate that Bob.

I agree 100%.

The real fun in this hobby began for me when I lost the fear of modifying a vintage kit extensively.

The fun for me is not in assembling a kit out of the box with maybe a few wheel and tire, engine intake, or other accessory additions, it's in completely revisiting all aspects of an old kit to bring it up to equal to, or better than, modern kit standards.

The world is my oyster! :D

Steve

Steve  Here's a great example: the 69 Cuda was short on accuracy such as the grille, interior and  chassis, this has been one of my favorite Mopars. So, am I going to wait for a new more detailed version...no. we have been blessed with some great kits over the last 20 years or so. I have working on my Cuda using a 71 Duster donor car to make an accurate 440 Cuda. I had a 3D grille and taillight panel made and made new door panels for a better platform interior. It just happened that Joseph at Fireball made the 440 Cuda hood scoops. Here are some pics of the work in progress. I rest my case.

0930181523b.jpg

0930181524.jpg

0930181523a.jpg

0930181523c.jpg

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Re: '66 Buick.

The engine in the kit is pretty good, actually. The Manifold, Carbs, and Velocity Stacks for the optional 4 pairs of Webber Carbs are still in the kit. A nice set of Promo Style 5 spoke Buick Mags are on the chrome tree too. The have the huge Promo-Style axle bosses on the back. Really weird that they wound up there. Not much else remains in the box though. All of the parts shown in the instruction sheet (FOR THE ENGINE ONLY) are still on the sprues in the box.

If Round2 were to bring it back, I would encourage them to leave the huge Racing wheels, and Rolls bars, Skid Plates, Ect in the kit, and use the treaded Steamroller Tires from the old Batmobile Kit, to allow the wheel wheels/fenders to be kit back to still build it as a Dirt Track car. Fix the Body, restore the other original parts, and you would have a true 3'n'1 kit.

1966 Skylark Instructions part 1

I’m in! 😊

Steve

35 minutes ago, keyser said:

There was a Craftsman 66 Skylark too. I’d guess that’s basis. Full detail annual was converted, but the annual was nice kit. Great body, looks the part. 63 Falcon Sprint convert and 63 Corvair might be around too. 

I could see the ‘69 R/T, but I have the suspicion that the availability of the old Monogram ‘69 Super Bee might have a bit of a cooling affect on that one.

But hey, I’ve been wrong before. 😊

The ‘69 would absolutely need a new grille though.

Steve

@StevenGuthmiller  Perhaps, but the 1/25 v 1/24 diff and convertible may well tip balance. Grille done on 68, no reason to doubt they’d redo the 69 (HL implies grill🤞🏼). Detail pics look great. Super Bee is pretty old tool, held up well, R/T different beast. 
I won’t turn it down even with originals in hand. I rarely buy anything anymore, but this will make the cut. Thanks Star Wars and Star Trek for the R2 cash flow 👍🏼

1 minute ago, keyser said:

@StevenGuthmiller  Perhaps, but the 1/25 v 1/24 diff and convertible may well tip balance. Grille done on 68, no reason to doubt they’d redo the 69 (HL implies grill🤞🏼). Detail pics look great. Super Bee is pretty old tool, held up well, R/T different beast. 
I won’t turn it down even with originals in hand. I rarely buy anything anymore, but this will make the cut. Thanks Star Wars and Star Trek for the R2 cash flow 👍🏼

I have a solution.

How about a 1969 Dodge Coronet 500? 😄

D9D4A8B0-AF61-47C2-9B23-CB7A8A528BBF.jpeg.0f9076727d3be5eac4c90c91a2dffbe0.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keyser said:

There was/is only one Skylark.  The body was converted from closed hood (promo/Craftsman) to 3-in-1 by switching out part of the body tool around the hood area, and unblocking the optional parts.  The Modified Stocker reissues include the stock wheels from the Craftsman version, and some of the custom parts from the 3-in-1 version.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But that's a little like apples to oranges.

Same basic body styles, but different years might be part of the equation.

Plus the fact that the AMT '61-'63 kits were "unibody" trucks could hold part of the appeal.

True. But, at the same time, it proves that builders are still willing to pay a premium for an old kit with a one piece chassis vs a new kit with a very similar body style that's a full detail. Of course, it doesn't help that the new kit has the proportions of a cheap gas station diecast either. Luckily, it doesn't look like the Coronet is going to have that issue. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, keyser said:

Pretty car and color. Funny, I just love these Coke bottle cars. And Imperials. Early Cudas too. Rest meh. I’d buy that 500. 👍🏼

Speaking of early Barracudas, I wonder how difficult it would be to take the Hemi Under Glass cuda back to stock......or even if there would be enough of a market for it.

I expect maybe so?

Seem to get pretty good prices for the original annuals.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for those photos, @Hondamatic. I love the added details in the boiler room -- look at the radiator cap alone! 

The chassis looks great to me (others, I'm sure, as well). Very nice combination of original (headers, etc.) and new/modified (torsion bars, separate exhaust, detailed 8 3/4 assembly, etc.).

A winner and sales success is on the horizon!