Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Again After A Long Break -International Transtar

20220619_151558.thumb.jpg.689dbac8ada5184c87c9d8b1d031198b.jpg20220619_151608.thumb.jpg.901f7a437fa5f0bc36996a523dc9ef0e.jpg20220619_151830.thumb.jpg.1fc5031caf795df4cdf13dec12a89db3.jpgI want to apologize first for not being around for a few years. A knew position at work and and being voted in as President of our Fire Dept has had me running like crazy. I Decided to get back into the swing of it with a box stock build of the re-release of the International Cabover. 

Edited by towman1271
Add pics

Dave, 

That is a great looking build!  The paint job is outstanding. 

I am building one of these as well and am almost finished but I am having a problem with doing the black background on the "International" trim pieces.  I tried using Detailer black wash but after several attempts I am just not happy with the results.

I am thinking of maybe painting the black with acrylic or lacquer and then painstakingly removing the paint from the lettering with solvent.  Yours is very sharp so I know it can be done somehow.  Care to share what method you used?  Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, modelercarl said:

Dave, 

I am building one of these as well and am almost finished but I am having a problem with doing the black background on the "International" trim pieces.  I tried using Detailer black wash but after several attempts I am just not happy with the results.

I am thinking of maybe painting the black with acrylic or lacquer and then painstakingly removing the paint from the lettering with solvent.  Yours is very sharp so I know it can be done somehow.  Care to share what method you used?  Thanks in advance.

I paint the whole thing with flat black primer. After it is dry, I slowly rub off the lettering and trim with my fingers. No solvent necessary. Solvent will probably remove the chrome as well as the paint. Primer being much softer than paint rubs off pretty easily.

1 hour ago, modelercarl said:

Dave, 

I used acrylic paint from a craft store. The stuff used to do art paintings. It will rub off the raised areas real easy. Another option is Ctm has a photoetch set for that truck and it's done for you 

ctm047a_1200x1200.jpg

Brian and Dave.  Thanks for your quick responses!  These are 2 methods that I can try without too much challenge and will not permanently damage the parts.  I knew a reasonable method was available but my 81 year old mind sometimes makes me hesitant to try solving a problem I have not experienced in previous builds.  Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...