Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Olds Cutlass from 3D print from Too Many Projects

carl63_99

I'm Baaack!  Been so busy with business, holidays, severe storms and taxes. But I did get some time to start working on molding windshield and back window. I found some picture frame inserts made of plastic at Hobby Lobby and will be seeing how that heats and molds over the templates included in the 3D kit.

Window_templates.jpg

• Like 1

Using air-dry clay and the tenplates that came with the kit, I've been experimenting with a few different kinds of plastic for the windows. Replacement photo frame glass from Hobby Lobby seems to provide the best clarity when heat molding the windows. I may make several more to get them perfect, but as far as proof of concept, I know I can make them.

first back window.jpg

First Windshield.jpg

• Like 2

I think I see a problem.  As I've done 5 windshields now, each one getting better than the last, I have to draw the line somewhere or I'll never get done. Best windshield so far is glued into the H/O and now it can go on to the next step.

I also though about tail lights. I could mold them or cut down toothbrush handle or something to make nice 3D ones, or BMF the one included and put a couple coats of clear red over that. Second option shown, and they look pretty nice.

tail lights.jpg

H-OWindshield.jpg

2 hours ago, carl63_99 said:

I also though about tail lights. I could mold them or cut down toothbrush handle or something to make nice 3D ones, or BMF the one included and put a couple coats of clear red over that. Second option shown, and they look pretty nice.

I agree with the earlier comment that  windows make or break the model's realism, I have to add that IMO same goes for other clear lenses on the model.  It would be nice to have those molded out of clear/amber/red, but I can also see that one has to draw the line somewhere.  I suppose a simple open mold could be made of those taillights, then cast them using clear red resin (or clear and painted with transparent red), but that would really extend and complicate this build.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:15 PM, carl63_99 said:

Using air-dry clay and the tenplates that came with the kit, I've been experimenting with a few different kinds of plastic for the windows. Replacement photo frame glass from Hobby Lobby seems to provide the best clarity when heat molding the windows. I may make several more to get them perfect, but as far as proof of concept, I know I can make them.

What's the method you use to shape the new windows? Do you used a vacuform machine to pull the glass over the mold, or just heat it with a hot air gun and pull down by hand?

Edited by ubermodel

17 hours ago, ubermodel said:

What's the method you use to shape the new windows? Do you used a vacuform machine to pull the glass over the mold, or just heat it with a hot air gun and pull down by hand?

No vacuform machine, so I did the squish method. I had the molds at the ready, heated the clear plastic over a heat gun and when it was really flimsy, pressed it down over the mold. I made between 3-5 versions of each window until I got one that was good enough to use. One problem is that the plastic got hot enough to melt the 3D printed window mold, so I had to work fast.  If I do this again, I will make a clay mold of the 3D printed one and mold over that. As I am not going for contest winning, just building for my own fun, I am happy enough with the results. Building one of these perfect would cost a lot more time and money.

• Like 1

Doing wheelies! Seriously, filled in the front turn signals with white glue, have them sitting like this overnight so the glue dries level. I like how you can see the difference between the two cars, particularly the engines in this pic.

20230320_173507.jpg

• Like 2

As I finish up the final assembly, problems start showing up. Can't find the other exhaust for the HO, had to make a new driveshaft for the Salon. Couple broken front suspension parts.

I need to practice pin striping, both cars need some of that. Another week and they should be complete.

20230323_143212.jpg

• Like 1