Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan '59 Sport Fury Mild Custom it's DONE!

John Goschke

Mocked up with replated bumpers and taillights by Dale Horner

Also added positive mounting points for the lake pipes, weatherstripping to the side window openings, and refinements to interior fit. Also front wheel wells to the chassis so you won't be able to look in one side and out the other!

Looks like I might need to adjust the steering wheel angle... Then PAINT!...

Fury1153.jpg

Here's a link to Rik Hoving's album showing the inspiration...

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_pho...1738undfto.html

Edited by John Goschke

Wow John,That came out great! Does your freind do it as a buisness? He's good. I just put a small sheet of plastic where the engine would be, to block the view between the wheels. That's a mighty RARE lil car your bringin back there, she even looks good now! She'll be killer when your done. :rolleyes:

Edited by george 53

Hey John, a very good friend of mines Dad actually took those photos originally. Rikstr has permission from Mike to use them of course but I wasn't sure if he included them all in his collection, so here is a link to all of them.

http://roten.smugmug.com/gallery/4458710_G55Vi#P-2-20

Good luck on the build, this is one of my favorite convertible customs. :rolleyes:

Edited by kk916

Hey John, a very good friend of mines Dad actually took those photos originally. Rikstr has permission from Mike to use them of course but I wasn't sure if he included them all in his collection, so here is a link to all of them.

Thanks, K.K. I hope your Dad's buddy won't mind my using them. When Rik posted them on the H.A.M.B. those pics of the Fury moved this kit to the top of my build list! I'll be keeping mine a hardtop 'cause there ain't much of an interior in the model and I just don't want to get bogged down in a conversion. If your Dad's friend could supply any more info about the car in the pics, I and many others would sure appreciate it!

WOW!! What a neat project! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna be watchin' this one John as I've got two of those X-EL promos and never did anything with 'em.

Where did you get the interior, or is this an original kit?

I'm tempted to kitbash one of them with the '58 Plymouth kit...........:rolleyes:

Thanks, Bill!

It was a mint-in-box kit when I built it the first time in 1976, in copper with a white top just like the car in the '59 Plymouth full-line catalog. I think a kitbash with AMT's '58 Plymouth is possible and probably a good use for that disappointing kit; just beyond where I wanna go with this one.

I think Modelhaus probably offers the interior, though the best thing to do might be to use just the dash and steering wheel with a modified AMT '58 interior, since the Johan piece MIGHT be 2/3 the proper depth.

Edited by John Goschke

http://roten.smugmug.com/gallery/4458710_G55Vi#P-2-20

Good luck on the build, this is one of my favorite convertible customs. :rolleyes:

hey chris thanks for the link. my father actually painted that car.

there may actually be a colour photo of it floating around.

it was, to the best of my knowledge, white and a pearl purple/blue.

I seem to recall the photo is from the early 60s, taken in the Northern California area, either Sacramento, Chico or Salinas.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. They'll tickle dad's funnybone.

hey chris thanks for the link. my father actually painted that car.

there may actually be a colour photo of it floating around.

it was, to the best of my knowledge, white and a pearl purple/blue.

I seem to recall the photo is from the early 60s, taken in the Northern California area, either Sacramento, Chico or Salinas.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. They'll tickle dad's funnybone.

Dad says:

Owner was from Woodland. Car was almost new. Painted it pearl white and candy fuscia during a weekend leave from the Navy.

He also confirmed the pic was taken around 1960.

Dad says:

Owner was from Woodland. Car was almost new. Painted it pearl white and candy fuscia during a weekend leave from the Navy.

He also confirmed the pic was taken around 1960.

WOW! Thanks! This info may change my plans...

Originally I was gonna panel paint it like the pics in two original '59 Plymouth colors, pale "Mint Green" and "Emerald Green Poly" (a metallic) assuming one of the the colors on the car would've been the factory paint...

Now painting it in Pearl White and Candy Fuscia like the original ragtop sounds real interesting! Would the Candy have been applied over the P. White? Or over another base, like Silver? Any idea what color the interior on the convertible might've been? Any additional info would sure be appreciated. Color photos would rock our world!

Haha, wow John bet you weren't expecting this when you started this project eh?! B) I'm sure Mike will track down some more pics if he can find them. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished, I'm sure Mike and his dad are too. (No pressure) :D

Haha, wow John bet you weren't expecting this when you started this project eh?! :) I'm sure Mike will track down some more pics if he can find them. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished, I'm sure Mike and his dad are too. (No pressure) :D

the pix you see are all I have at the moment

ill ask about the interior

I assume you saw this shot which leads me to believe the interior was somewhat stock at the time

269471744_UeQ5Q-O.jpg

the pix you see are all I have at the moment

ill ask about the interior

I assume you saw this shot which leads me to believe the interior was somewhat stock at the time

269471744_UeQ5Q-O.jpg

Yep, that's a great shot! I agree, looks like a stock interior. If the car was fuchsia and white outside maybe it had a red interior? There's a great '59 Plymouth ad that shows a 3/4 rear shot focusing on the fins and fake spare tire on the decklid of a white Sport Fury convertible with a red interior and the somewhat ironic headline "Good Taste is Never Extreme" Could be just the printing but the red looks like a shade that'd work with candy fuchsia

I'll do a Google search to see what other combos are out there but I think the interior choices were basically red, blue, green, and copper.

Found on the '59 Sport Fury website some great reference on the car, including photos of a beautiful, all original Emerald Green hardtop so I'm gonna go with the original plan and do mine in Emerald and Mint greens. The stock red interior just doesn't seem like it'll look right with "pearl white and candy fuchsia," and I'm not sure I need another red car on my shelf!

Here's the link to Gallery shots of the green Fury with Golden Commando 361...

http://59sportfury.net/showcase/koch/page2.html

Lot's of good reference on that site!

• 8 months later...

that's gorgeous John ! looks even better than your inspiration ! panels are looking great on late 50's cars ! on that land yacht they look even greater !lol! can't wait to see the finished product ! B)

That's fabulous!! I'd love to see a tutorial on your masking techniques. Everybody always acts like it's nothing, "Ya jus put some tape on it and paint", but I find GOOD masking to be one of the toughest things to do. Again, that looks totally KOOOL! :lol:

What kind of tape did you use?