Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

will water slide decals stick to masking tape?

Hi all

I am wanting to do a vinyl top with a pattern. I have the pattern as a water slide decal. I have used making tape in the past to get the texture so am wondering if the decal will hold on the masking tape. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Theo

I would try painting the area you want to fit the decal with multiple mist coats from further away leaving it longer than normal in between coats so you get it to build up with orange peel. If it feels too rough you can then knock it down a bit with very light 2500 wet n dry to get the vinyl effect for under the decal. I should point out i have not done this but it is what i would try

• Like 2

I used to use testors fabric spray for my vinyl tops and conv boots.  It left a rough texture.  As stated above could try to intentionally orangepeel the paint.  If you try to put a decal over the rough texture I am not sure how well it will work.

Might want to experiment before doing the actual car.

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Maybe you can apply a clear texture over top of the decal?

Those would be my thoughts- apply the decal, and then mist coats of clear satin paint of your choice over it from a distance to build up texture, and provide a realistic vinyl top semi-gloss textured sheen

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.  As it didn't appear that anyone had tried decals over tape I gave it a test run with parts box stuff.

Decals laid down just fine and held without any problem.  I did us MicroSet to get them to settle.  When dry, the decals were firmly in place and showed the underlying tape texture perfectly.  Was able to trim without tearing. Light coat of acrylic clear flat and the final appearance is just what I was hoping for.

Theo

I avoid using masking tape for any permanent projects because it (and its adhesive) is designed for temporary use.  After few years the adhesive either dries up and turns into dust, or gets really gummy, and turns into sticky mess).  The way it ages is probably dependent on the brand of the tape.  Even the "good" 3M Scotch brand is like that.  The cheap off-brands age quicker.