Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 Mooneyes dragsters-55 years apart

sflam123

In 1967, at 12 years of age, I split a Revell  "Sanitary T bucket/Mooneyes Dragster" double kit with a friend because we neither had enough money to buy the kit on our own.  After losing the coin flip (I REALLY wanted to build the Sanitary T bucket!) I built the Mooneyes dragster.  However, when I had completed the dragster, I was really proud of it, because it was one of the first and certainly the most difficult kit I had ever completed without my Dad helping me.  Fast forward 55 years and like many you, I purchased the Atlantis re-release of the Mooneyes.  Many of you have done an absolutely amazing job of building and detailing this kit, and it builds up in to a classic rendition of an iconic 60's dragster.  THAT was not my approach.  I looked at my 55 yr. old survivor Mooneyes, which has managed to live through 6 moves and countless cleanings, and decided to limit the detailing to paint and assemble the kit much as I would have 55 years ago.  The results are oil the pictures.

I hope you enjoy the pictures of my survivor Mooneyes and the new one.  Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome!  

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9623.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

IMG_9621.jpeg

IMG_9625.jpeg

IMG_9624.jpeg

IMG_9626.jpeg

IMG_9627.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great looking build!

15 hours ago, bisc63 said:

What I wouldn't give to have saved some of my models from back then.

I have to second that, all my cars, trucks, tanks and WWII planes that I guess just unknowingly threw away. ☹️

On 7/8/2022 at 12:15 AM, bisc63 said:

SO cool! Great job for a 12-year-old on that surviving kit, and the new one looks very nice as well. What I wouldn't give to have saved some of my models from back then.

ThanK you for the kind comment

On 7/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bainford said:

Very nice build, and I'm really digging the survivor. They look great displayed together.  Thanks for posting, this is really cool.

Thank you for the kind comment!  That poor original has been through a lot, but it keeps hanging in there!