Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Outlaws Endgame

What do you think? Here are a few of my observations from the first episode. 

1. Conspicuous by his absence was Big Chief. This kind of thing sounds right up his alley, so I guess his absence means he's permanently gone from SO. 

2. Great fun to see them hashing out the "rules," such as they are. Everyone seemed to have an idea in their head of what the concept should be and there wasn't 100% agreement. Maybe about 80%. 

3. Fun to see Ryan's difficulty in finding an affordable '69 Camaro, and he doesn't seem to want to settle for anything else. 

4. They didn't set a budget or spending limit, but everyone seems to be trying to go as cheap as possible while still being competitive. Couple of them surprised me by leaning toward Fox-body Mustangs. 

5. My favorite rule was their "gotta drive it 50 miles to the race site." That will keep at least SOME "reality" on the things. 

6. I'd give JJ the edge to come out on top of this thing, but you can never count out Kye Kelly or for that matter Ryan. I just don't see Murder Nova coming out on top, and Axeman is a real unknown here. 

i thought i would give this a watch. I only watched 1 episode, lost all respect for Ryan. He doesn't know BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH about cars, he knows electronics. I would hate to even guess how much money is wrapped up in that Chevelle, so much for going as cheap as possible. I do believe it is a street car. 

I couldn't believe Ryan hacked up such a beautiful 70 chevelle 😱 he's most likely gonna be the guy to beat but we'll see. I'm not sure why Shawn chose the car he did and I'm curious to see how that works out for him. I'm curious to see just how much of a "STREET" car they actually are but I do think the show will intrest more people now since the cars are more of a street car. 

Snake I got to meet Jim Howe a few weeks ago, he was testing his new car at my local track. He is a super nice guy and his new car is definitely fast, it's a blown hemi. Here is a video of him at my local track making passes, he hit the wall but no major damage was done.

9 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I would love to see these cars inspected for street use before they race. Make sure all requires lights work. Horn, Wipers  and Mirrors ect.  If you call it a street car, it should be a street car. 

100%.... I'm anxious to see myself 

37 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Looks like Kye's Regal may be a serious contender. 

They'll all be serious contenders. Kye will probably have the least $$$ whipout in his, as he started with a car he already owned and built the engine himself. (That's if you don't count the false start $900 Mustang and $16K Camaro, plus whatever he spent on the new Ford engine.)

Looks like the next episode will cover Axman's build, which might be a late '30s Chevy or something. No Street Outlaws next week, as it's Shark Week on Discovery. If you don't care about sharks, you might as well forget that channel all week. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we are led to believe, that Axman had a 34 ford setting on his property. that had nice tires and wheels, all aired up, no rust and new headlight buckets. I will give him credit for being the only person I've seen cut up a car with a gas powered saw. lol After looking at the other two cars so far, i would say his seems the slowest.  but then again it could be all for TV. and from the previews it looks like JJ is doing another nova. Where does he keep finding them, i would assume by now he has bought every one within a 5 state radius.   

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:48 AM, slicks56 said:

So we are led to believe, that Axman had a 34 ford setting on his property. that had nice tires and wheels, all aired up, no rust and new headlight buckets. I will give him credit for being the only person I've seen cut up a car with a gas powered saw. lol After looking at the other two cars so far, i would say his seems the slowest.  but then again it could be all for TV. and from the previews it looks like JJ is doing another nova. Where does he keep finding them, i would assume by now he has bought every one within a 5 state radius.   

It's a cool little hot rod but it didn't seem to be as fast as the others so far. It did look a little too nice to just be in a field for years.

The JJ episode went about exactly as I thought it would--and it was the best one so far. 

There were several announcement that "cast member" Ryan Fellows had been killed in a crash on Sunday. Didn't recognize the name so I had to google him. Apparently right now they're filming new season of Fastest in America. Fellows was from California and drove a gold Datsun 240Z. I can't remember if we've seen that car on the show before or now. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, Snake45 said:

The JJ episode went about exactly as I thought it would--and it was the best one so far. 

There were several announcement that "cast member" Ryan Fellows had been killed in a crash on Sunday. Didn't recognize the name so I had to google him. Apparently right now they're filming new season of Fastest in America. Fellows was from California and drove a gold Datsun 240Z. I can't remember if we've seen that car on the show before or now. 

He was the guy who drove the bright green Lamborghini that raced Brian Britt on a previous episode. 

I can't place Ryan Fellows. Still very unfortunate, my  deepest sympathy, to his family and friends. I also found it very surprising that they are filming Fastest in America, while they are still right in the middle of N.P.K. The JJ episode has been the best so far but there is something about JJ that is fake as all hell. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching Street outlaws or Sister Wife's Memphis? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slicks56 said:

I can't place Ryan Fellows. Still very unfortunate, my  deepest sympathy, to his family and friends. I also found it very surprising that they are filming Fastest in America, while they are still right in the middle of N.P.K. The JJ episode has been the best so far but there is something about JJ that is fake as all hell. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching Street outlaws or Sister Wife's Memphis? 

It's a stretch to call Ryan Fellows a "star" of the show. He's been more like a "guest extra" in maybe a few episodes. That's why you can't place him. I couldn't either until I googled him. 

I've never considered JJ "fake," but he does have a certain schtick that seems to work for him. I LOLed at your Sister Wives Memphis comment. The Lovely Mrs. Snake once said she didn't understand why I was watching the Street Outlaws shows. I told her to concentrate on the people and the drama, like the shows she enjoys: "Think of it as Real Housewives of Oklahoma with loud, fast, dangerous, cool cars." ;):lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The Lovely Mrs. Snake once said she didn't understand why I was watching the Street Outlaws shows. I told her to concentrate on the people and the drama, like the shows she enjoys: "Think of it as Real Housewives of Oklahoma with loud, fast, dangerous, cool cars." ;):lol:

I've tried getting into this show a few times, and I WANT to like it, but it never quite clicked with me.  I think you probably nailed why I lose interest so quickly...I don't care about the people or their drama 😄

A show that just covers the racing without any of the 'added-for-entertainment' stuff would probably pique my interest more...but that's just NHRA coverage, and it exists already I guess 😁

4 hours ago, slicks56 said:

I also found it very surprising that they are filming Fastest in America, while they are still right in the middle of N.P.K. 

Fastest in America is pretty much a JJ and his gang joint--they're racing against other crews from around the country. Now that you mention it, there are very few of the NPK racers who participate in FIA. This could explain why the 405 has never been on FIA, but NOLA and Texas seem to participate in both. Hmmmmm....:unsure:

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I've tried getting into this show a few times, and I WANT to like it, but it never quite clicked with me.  I think you probably nailed why I lose interest so quickly...I don't care about the people or their drama 😄

A show that just covers the racing without any of the 'added-for-entertainment' stuff would probably pique my interest more...but that's just NHRA coverage, and it exists already I guess 😁

I loved the first few season of the OK guys running in Street Outlaws. The edited drama for the sake of drama with JJ and the ladies turned me off. It got to the point that since I have TiVo I would fast forward until I saw tire smoke, THEN I would watch the actual race lined up. Once I started doing that, I could watch the whole show in 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, Bills72sj said:

I loved the first few season of the OK guys running in Street Outlaws. The edited drama for the sake of drama with JJ and the ladies turned me off. It got to the point that since I have TiVo I would fast forward until I saw tire smoke, THEN I would watch the actual race lined up. Once I started doing that, I could watch the whole show in 5-10 minutes.

That's the way I watched Fastest in America, too.  My wife didn't want to see Street Outlaws two nights in a row, so I DVR'd the Tuesday night shows to watch later.  I fast forwarded through the "getting A to B" stuff and all the JJ talking to the girls about strategy looking for the burn outs, then I would watch the races to see who won.

On the End Game episodes, it is interesting that only JJ focused on getting his Chevy II out to grudge race, where the rest of them were about building the car.  I laughed at JJ building the engine on the garage floor, and replacing the bearings and rings without showing them measuring anything.  Lots of editing?  The Chevy II looked more sleeper white with primer spots and chrome than the final clear coated primer with blacked out trim.

14 minutes ago, mvadrag said:

I laughed at JJ building the engine on the garage floor, and replacing the bearings and rings without showing them measuring anything.  Lots of editing?  

I noticed a complete lack of coverage about installing the new front end, or anything at all about the rear end/suspension. 

Its just like other shows, the parts will be built up to check fit, then refitted for film when they know it works. Look at axmens car he built, its been lying at the end of the drive for years but the wheels are shiny and still roll. same with kye's car being conveniently forgotten til the end of the show. Personally the end game show could be cut down to an hour and be more entertaining. I actually stopped watching ryans build as it was almost as boring as watching paint dry. hopefully murder novas donk will be a fun watch. and why doesn't JJ have a chat or game show yet? he'd be a pretty good host imo

10 hours ago, mvadrag said:

That's the way I watched Fastest in America, too....  I fast forwarded through the "getting A to B" stuff and all the JJ talking to the girls about strategy looking for the burn outs, then I would watch the races to see who won.

I did the same thing at some point a couple seasons ago. It got ridiculous watching JJ "mansplaining" the situation to his harem again and again. It became apparent that the producers were just trying to fill time. 

There was also a certain amount of this in last season's America's List. Every episode could easily have been cut down to two hours, but at least it wasn't the same thing over and over and over. 

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I did the same thing at some point a couple seasons ago. It got ridiculous watching JJ "mansplaining" the situation to his harem again and again. It became apparent that the producers were just trying to fill time.

You just eloquently described what made me lose interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Axman's '34 really surprised me with how well it could scoot. I thought Ryan's '70 would be a lot faster than it is--how rare is it to see him worried about not having enough car? :lol:

Really impressed with how well JJ's '67 Nova is running. He could end up winning the whole thing. :blink: