Model Cars Magazine Forum

GT 40 seat painting ideas ???

These are the seats for the Magnifier 1:12 scale GT 40 kit . I am sure you all know these seats have a chrome grommet around the holes . Not sure how to create that in these seats . I thought about drilling them out but as there are 300 I tossed that idea . Any suggestions are welcome . I know there are/were aftermarket seats but after a month of searching I found zilch and they seem to be discontinued as is the resin spare tire that was available not long ago .  Thanks guys !  

A5EA9BBE-502F-4A65-A76D-E03ECA0CD75D.jpeg

A drill bit the size of the i.d. with a slow variable speed power drill would stay on center and zip them out in no time. Run strips of masking tape between the grommets and sand the high spots down without going through the tape. That would leave you with about a .007 rise in the grommet. Paint the seats and dab the grommets with a Molotow pen.

15 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Seats ordered. 52.00 shipped. Now for the tire !

I checked my two kits (Magnifer and Trumpeter) and I have one set of the aftermarket tires and the resin spare but no aftermarket seats.  I just ordered the seats from mediamixhobby and with the currency exchange rate it should only be about $40 shipped.  The race is on to see who gets them first.

Edited by vamach1

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I would never in this life get them lined up straight.

A slow turning drill should find the center. Just my opinion but I thought it would be worth a try before you spent $52.00 (Yikes) on custom seats. 

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

I checked my two kits (Magnifer and Trumpeter) and I have one set of the aftermarket tires and the resin spare but no aftermarket seats.  I just ordered the seats from mediamixhobby and with the currency exchange rate it should only be about $40 shipped.  The race is on to see who gets them first.

I paid 40 plus 12 in shipping costs