Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...

If you have ever tried assembling a mfh kit, you’ll know that you need to go 3-4 steps ahead, to make sure the actual step your working on won’t throw everything out of wack. Like decals. I was all set and happy and then I took a step back and looked at the overall kit and realized I need to paint and put one decal on the engine cover, so it will line up with the cockpit. So after a few weeks of fighting seam lines.. (bodywork is not my strong suit) we are now back on track. 
thanks for looking 

Chris

6E485408-9BB2-4FC8-B9A4-C0B812DD2D6E.jpeg

A8A46F24-CB2F-4D01-8279-709E9272D70F.jpeg

BA6B9E88-4139-4FEB-80B7-4F6D675FD44F.jpeg

189293FC-58FA-43D6-8D50-46BAFF3B2CDA.jpeg

Edited by Chris Smith
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pg265 said:

Hi Chris,

Another big piece!

Once again you’ve done a great job with the beautiful and complex engine/gearbox sub assy!

The cockpit is really nice too with a great seat.

Can’t wait to see more! ;) 

Pascal

Pascal.. thank you very much for your kind words, I just hope with some more practice I can achieve your skill level 😊

22 minutes ago, Timonator said:

Looking Awesome ! How did you paint the chrome/polished aluminum parts ? They look really good.

Tim. Most of the engine and other detail parts are made of white metal. I have a three step method of prepping and painting them

1. removing seams, drilling appropriate holes and sanding any unwanted cast marks.

2. I put the parts in small batches into a magnetic tumbler with a burnishing fluid for about 15- 20 minutes for cleaning and polishing.

3. Prime , base coat, color. I use mostly Alclad for my metal colors. But I do leave the parts polished if it calls for it. Like the air boxes. I used 1500 grit sand paper then 3000 grit, then I polished it with rubbing compound . Then shot some 2k clear to seal the decals.

1 minute ago, Chris Smith said:

Tim. Most of the engine and other detail parts are made of white metal. I have a three step method of prepping and painting them

1. removing seams, drilling appropriate holes and sanding any unwanted cast marks.

2. I put the parts in small batches into a magnetic tumbler with a burnishing fluid for about 15- 20 minutes for cleaning and polishing.

3. Prime , base coat, color. I use mostly Alclad for my metal colors. But I do leave the parts polished if it calls for it. Like the air boxes. I used 1500 grit sand paper then 3000 grit, then I polished it with rubbing compound . Then shot some 2k clear to seal the decals.

Thanks for sharing your method. What do you use for burnishing fluid ?

Completed the rest of the parts I prepped last week 😁

Inter coolers and radiators are painted in Alclad polished aluminum, pipes are painted in Aluminum and the hose clamps are painted in a metallic purple (nail polish) I have to thank my wife for having this color in her stash😜

431CB6B6-BBFE-43DC-8B94-47FA9E6F697F.jpeg

6F0D6252-5566-4568-B748-5A587319D52C.jpeg

09ECC7CD-D918-4A90-BD11-B33BBE3F15F8.jpeg

FC6FD843-D7C0-4BE4-B9C9-5A24EEF1254E.jpeg

60157D80-0643-4137-8338-6BEF7C276556.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...