Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1934 duesenberg.

Brudda

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Nice work getting the wheels on the ground Bruce. That can sometimes be quite a challenge on these old Monogram kits.

The interior looks fantastic too! Great color choice for the leather seats.

David G.

Thank you David G. My one thing on model cars that I really need improvement on is the interior. Here is a picture of Chris Smiths model factory hiro seat. He has it dialed

096CD366-6BEA-41F8-BA6D-CA137E2DCCEF.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting grill and other things. Painted all of the interior parts.  Checking fit for the interior. Next is finishing the interior, shift lever , hand brake and dash parts. Was in a hurry and had to fix some things. Need to slow down , getting too excited and making mistakes. 45B5F8DD-B3ED-4062-9AE6-A6DDDBF8C688.thumb.jpeg.2b0c4ec1fc498b818f5b7e24ae70bb8a.jpeg

DFDA8F7D-83EB-46A4-96AD-5B793B52CD25.jpeg

262D6A09-5583-475C-8050-A396036062B5.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad to see others also building these classic '30's cars. I just finished this same kit about a month ago. My brother loved Duesenberg's but wasn't  a very good modeler, when he passed away five years back he gave me his models and I've been trying to build at least one of them each year, this year it was the Duesy. I painted it in Tamiya  TS-15 Blue with a tan interior. The only real problem with it that I had was getting the exhaust pipes coming off the engine to line up with the pipe on the chassis but in the end I got it to work. He also gave me the Duesenberg Town car plus a couple more of those great old Monogram classic kits but he'll have to wait a couple more years for the next one to be done. 

I think yours is going to look very nice in silver and look forward to seeing it done.

7 hours ago, robertw said:

Glad to see others also building these classic '30's cars. I just finished this same kit about a month ago. My brother loved Duesenberg's but wasn't  a very good modeler, when he passed away five years back he gave me his models and I've been trying to build at least one of them each year, this year it was the Duesy. I painted it in Tamiya  TS-15 Blue with a tan interior. The only real problem with it that I had was getting the exhaust pipes coming off the engine to line up with the pipe on the chassis but in the end I got it to work. He also gave me the Duesenberg Town car plus a couple more of those great old Monogram classic kits but he'll have to wait a couple more years for the next one to be done. 

I think yours is going to look very nice in silver and look forward to seeing it done.

Thank you robertw. Please post a picture of you car. My friend Andre , gave me this model. (He is the manager of the Harrahs Automobile museum in Reno Nevada) I needed a change of pace. This one is a out of box build. ( mostly because I do not know a lot about these cars) The next 30’s car I build will have detail. Will try to have more finished this weekend. The copyright on the instructions say 1963-1972. Had to be a great kit for the time. 

On 9/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, thebavarian said:

Wow, what a nice car. Great work.

Thank you sir. A few more steps finished. The exhaust was fun. Fit is definitely not the best. My friend mark says we are spoiled with the new stuff. He is right. 

90E87605-29E8-4C49-AEE8-9DE789F128D3.jpeg

1DFFD2B0-C4E4-4477-A173-5A2E2C0E2CE9.jpeg

933FDCED-F0E0-4EBB-A4E9-C175E1CF9B1F.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Brudda said:

Thank you Carl. 

I gave up on the chrome on the spare tires. Everyone I touched the spares the chrome messed up. So after using ever chrome paint I have , I gave up and sprayed them testors silver. Other than that , the build is going ok. Working on the chrome bits. The front bumper lines up well but the back has fit issues. Will fix them soon. Cannot expect a early 60’s kit to fit all that well. 

Finished! Came out ok. These old monogram kits are pretty challenging. Getting all the lights even was fun. Made the rear lights red. Supposed to be one red and one white. And some were all white, so I put it like I would drive it today. All red.

D3848F44-9C8D-4D4D-880D-FACD6F3DEAB0.jpeg

CB59AA15-6B2A-48D0-B6CD-4474F41E0140.jpeg

6216488D-518F-45F7-A6A5-0DA856610BBB.jpeg

B677A537-3494-41B5-AFE4-7DF5DB8BF398.jpeg

65783A6C-A430-440E-84D4-B7A22D5DEFF3.jpeg

8929FEDC-CF99-44AF-A25D-BB7EF84B3434.jpeg

8CCCD21F-A177-4896-BECE-289CD1C23F7D.jpeg

B167500F-D28D-410D-B92B-44B02A9E796E.jpeg

• Like 2

I've been away for the last five weeks, and just now catching up on some of the interesting builds I've missed. This is one of them. Over the last ten years or so I've developed quite an interest in the big, elegant classics, and have been looking into picking up a couple of these old Monogram kits. When I was a kid, my model building buddy built a few of these, and I was always intrigued, especially as they differed so much from the typical simplified Monogram assemblies of the day. I'm enjoying watching this build. Things are looking great, and you've overcome the kit's fit issues nicely.