Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fugimi Lamborghini Countache 5000 qv: WIP

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I put off building and installing the doors as long as I could, but I finally scraped up my courage and dove in. 

87_Lambo_43.jpg.ee38f95d743e1e61b3893cdc4585689d.jpg

And just a couple of build sessions later, we have doors!

87_Lambo_44.jpg.48e0fe6e9fae9612e0c10822f8f9d8ba.jpg

Operational doors!

87_Lambo_45.jpg.7dd8bcb1177518872a9bc62af207925b.jpg

Obviously they need a little tweaking. But they fit and they work!

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

You're doing great with this one David. If it was me I would chickened out and glued them shut.

Thank you Pierre!

I had considered gluing the doors shut but I thought I should at least give it a try and see if I could make them operable. 

They're not quite done yet. There's still a bit more tweaking that I need to do... and gluing is always an option.  ;) 

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

Spoiler Alert!

It's time to prepare the rear spoiler. Given the thinness of the pillars and the locations to which they mount, I decided to drill and pin them to ensure a more precise placement.

87_Lambo_46.jpg.892f2a5e9de4b07f37b7ef07b22dad29.jpg

It looks like the right pillar is a little skewed and will need some adjustment. I could probably get away with letting this go but... Nah, I won't do that.

87_Lambo_47.jpg.94c08ffd4d9ef3f8074b6bfd7867aa76.jpg

I adjusted the right pillar by filing its locator slot on the spoiler until there was enough wiggle room to align it properly. I then secured it and its mate to the spoiler with Tamiya Extra Thin Liquid Cement and let them cure long enough to be fixed yet workable. Next I temporarily mounted the spoiler to the body with everything aligned the way I wanted it, crossed my fingers and left it all to finish curing.

87_Lambo_48.jpg.f471dacbfb7e4973c57a6c865b564751.jpg

I also installed the boot lid, engine cover and most of the other ducts and vents. Having all that in place really adds to the visual sense of completion. The next challenging step is mounting the windshield and other cockpit glass.

87_Lambo_49.jpg.8a0edc6bbdc8761e1ce60cfdd26ed1f2.jpg

That's all for this round. As always, thanks for sharing some of time by stopping to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

23 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Looking really good David 😉👍

Thanks Mathias, I appreciate your comment.

23 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful work David. Definitely inspiring me to do one someday, but perhaps the original LP400 if such a kit exists.

Looks like you are close to finishing this beauty.

Thank you Pierre, it's nice to know that I can inspire once in a while people to do good things too. :) 

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to convert one of these kits into an LP400.

I do feel like I'm getting close to completing this one. I can tell because I'm already planning my next build. :D 

22 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

beautiful work so far, she definatly looks like the iconic 80's car we had posters of  plastered all over

Thank you Jeff. That is of course exactly what I'm trying for and it's nice to know that I'm on the right track.

Thanks again,

David G.

• Like 1

Looking good, David. Nice work on the spoiler mount.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful work David. Definitely inspiring me to do one someday, but perhaps the original LP400 if such a kit exists.

Pierre, there are several LP400 kits to chose from, including from Aoshima and the Fujimi Enthusiast Series. I have the Aoshima kit in the stash, and look forward to tackling it someday. I would really like to get the Enthusiast Series kit someday, though I've heard it is quite a challenge.

Picture 1 of 1

71pAv012vvL._AC_SL1415_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bainford said:

Looking good, David. Nice work on the spoiler mount.

Thank you Trevor. I believe that in large part it's quality of the small details that determine the final appearance of the model as a whole.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Life without setbacks would be boring and less challenging, so the model gods decided to liven thing up a little for me.

I used a Sharpie to color the rubber molding around the windshield opening and some ink bled under the masking tape along the front edge. I tried to remove the mess using alcohol and some of the finer grit 3M polishing cloths but with little success. Since it looks like I'm going to repaint, I decided that I should reapply some Tamiya Panel line darkener, hence the dark blobs.87_Lambo_50.jpg.80563e92da01d3deda8a35144faeef8b.jpg

So now, back to the paint shop!

87_Lambo_51.jpg.d0d8e521eab1b37da2b5ef54d2f70e68.jpg

As always, thanks for taking time from your day to have a look and if you happen to take even a little more time to post a comment, thank you so that much more.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I've started planning my next project in earnest, which means that I'm officially well past the point where I want to have been finished with this build.

So... Onward!

The repaint was mostly a success. I just need to do a bit of cleanup work then I'll be back on track.

87_Lambo_52.jpg.d42d16eae61c44c39c3061e0b85fa007.jpg

After a bit of cleanup the paint looked pretty good. I may still darken up the panel lines a bit more but for now I'm done with that. So I decided to begin adding some of the finishing bits and pieces, like the parking light/directionals.

87_Lambo_53.jpg.c1d317d133be7a2d1fe6dc9701a09d09.jpg

The tail lights are also now permanently mounted. You can also see how straight and aligned the pillars on the spoiler are too! 

87_Lambo_54.jpg.3f4e812dbc1b54b0c19d2352fc1772e6.jpg

That's it for this turn. As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.