Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Studebaker, Peking to Paris Rally (community build project)

Ace-Garageguy

33 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

I’m liking the meatiness of those tires, it will definitely be a stout vehicle, based on the ride height you’ve set it looks like it could tackle any terrain. 

She's going to be a little lower than what I'm showing in that last shot, just enough height to allow the fronts to steer...which is still a good bit taller than stock.  :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Engine's moving along. Molded plugs were removed from the heads and the holes sunk to appear more like the real thing. Longblock color is close to some 1:1s, intake manifold is Testors buffing metalizer, looks better in person, nice shiny new-cast aluminum. We're pretending it's an aftermarket alloy unit, and there's a nice valley cover coming to finish the top of the block.

DSCN7872.JPG.15ec9f762f2c758447c4e9a694a8d0ef.JPG

"Welded up and redrilled" stub axle hole location is evident below, necessary to dial in the ride height with the taller offroad tires.

DSCN7874.JPG.572a76ee7f3764a777e1a92480a7cc6f.JPG

Sitting on her wheels with the stance I was going for, not 4X4, just as high as she needs to be to clear the tires and steer, without major suspension mods.

DSCN7879.JPG.489f2780a96d2a38feef8775586a45d1.JPG

DSCN7884.JPG.76103bdec2d9ff43de80aa708a5ee98d.JPG

DSCN7881.JPG.45247787beec39af03c9e02eb176d88d.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 5

On 12/18/2022 at 9:33 PM, NOBLNG said:

Lotsa nice modifications going on here too!👍🙂

On 12/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, espo said:

The wrap around rear window was always fascinating to me. Like the realistic ride height and tires. This would be driven over some rough terrain and pavement would be optional. 

Thanks for the interest and comments. 

I'm learning new techniques and tools appropriate to the diecast material, so she's going slow. Stay tuned...  :D

16 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks for the interest and comments. 

I'm learning new techniques and tools appropriate to the diecast material, so she's going slow. Stay tuned...  :D

I've been learning that too this past summer while playing around with Hot Wheels, made good use out of the K&S Needle File set I bought back in the mid-late 00's as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, Joe Handley said:

I've been learning that too this past summer while playing around with Hot Wheels, made good use out of the K&S Needle File set I bought back in the mid-late 00's as well.

Yes, one of the things I enjoy most about this hobby is experimenting with and learning new tools and techniques.

I scored some tiny carbide bits for carving detail into the diecast metal, but had to find some adapters to chuck them up in the Dremel, as my miniature air grinders are at the real-car shops.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get the carving done on the windshield surround and the fuel door, then get the body in self-etching primer shortly.