Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage ‘69 Acadian SS model kit

Blacksheep214, I 'LL TAKE A CASE OF THEM! (lol) Seriously, this is someone's fantasy box art by the use of the old Johan emblem/trademark changed into Canadian poncho.com. If it was a real model kit from 1969, there would be no dot-com stuff on the box, and no barcode. Thanks for showing it to us though. Now I'll print this picture & resize the sides to fit an old model kit box. Then I'll glue them to it and take it to our club meeting and put it under other boxes so they can't open it! A good Halloween joke, I guess! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Google it. They’re not known as Chevy Novas in Canada but rebadged as a Pontiac!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_(automobile)

Chevy Novas always were known as Chevy Novas in Canada. The Acadian was something extra we had to sell at the Pontiac dealers.

"In addition to", NOT "instead of".

Edited by Can-Con

If anyone really wants one all you need to do is get a Nova kit and the Model Car Garage set for the '68/'69 or '70/'71 Nova. Both have the appropriate scripts for an Acadian.  It's all you need as Acadians were only rebadged Novas in those years. 

BTW, that's an "air box" not real.

mcg2218_detail.jpg

mcg2219_detail.jpg

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

I never knew such a kit existed. 

Acadians were to Novas what Beaumonts were to Chevelles.

Acadians and Beaumonts were sold by Pontiac-Buick dealerships.

Ford also had a Canadian only Meteor, sold at Mercury dealerships.

Is that kit for real? 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:35 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Absolutely true.

I suppose that should be the first indication that this is fake.

Steve

however the website on the box art appears to be a real website. 

https://canadianponcho.company.site/

I also found this at the above website's forum in this thread.

https://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t50277689/64-gto-model-kit/

Not sure what to think.

1963 Acadian.jpg

Edited by Kenmojr

12 minutes ago, Kenmojr said:

Is that kit for real? 

Not by a country mile. It's a 'photoshopped' "box" based upon the old Johan artwork of the era. The "Quality Since 2008" and the ".com" are dead giveaways. 

Certainly, one could whittle together an Acadian (or the Chevelle-based Beaumont) from existing kits: add Pontiac interior, the photoetch emblems, and maybe some scratch built components, and there you go.

Here's a 1967 Cheetah SD 427 :

1967 Pontiac Beaumont - Canadian Supercars Got 427 Conversions Too (motortrend.com)

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Not by a country mile. It's a 'photoshopped' "box" based upon the old Johan artwork of the era. The "Quality Since 2008" and the ".com" are dead giveaways. 

Certainly, one could whittle together an Acadian (or the Chevelle-based Beaumont) from existing kits: add Pontiac interior, the photoetch emblems, and maybe some scratch built components, and there you go.

Here's a 1967 Cheetah SD 427 :

1967 Pontiac Beaumont - Canadian Supercars Got 427 Conversions Too (motortrend.com)

All you need for the '68 to '72 Acadians is the photoetch sheet for the scripts. 

,,as for a Beaumont ,, been there, done that.

133 3367

133 3376

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

All you need for the '68 to '72 Acadians is the photoetch sheet for the scripts. 

,,as for a Beaumont ,, been there, done that.

133 3367

133 3376

At next year's Atlantic Nationals in Moncton, NB, you should enter this Beaumont model into the model car show they have in Centennial Park.

3 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

At next year's Atlantic Nationals in Moncton, NB, you should enter this Beaumont model into the model car show they have in Centennial Park.

I go every year, only missed the first one.

Some of my pics on Fotki went missing years ago but here's a shot of the Beaumont at the show in 2006 behind my '58 Pontiac wagon.

137 3774

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

image.jpeg.11fa00c54b8465a218cd79c51d7b87d4.jpeg

image.jpeg.8483e74a5bef80fd2ef0523348a4533f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.619f0e821927f6ae650968ef490fdd21.jpeg

Problem is, if they want to make them look legitimate, they should do a little research on the history and products of the companies they put on the boxes. 

Johan never produced Chevrolets.

While MPC did make GTOs in 1967, they didn't use photographs, they used illustrations and had the car angled perpendicular to the diagonal on the box. 

20221015_191552.png.d8be9373a4edb43c02a1e526a17a8a53.png

20221015_191813.png.f613c46cefe30e7ff8950068ca460b65.png

20221015_191622.png.07cd3a0090fa45412c4badd3fbbd9db8.png

And Eldon would never have gotten away with using AMTs packaging and slogans.

7 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

1963 Acadian.jpg

And Revell also used illustrations in 1963, After 1962, they stopped doing annuals too.

Sorry to drop precipitation on everyone's cavalcade. 

39 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Problem is, if they want to make them look legitimate, they should do a little research on the history and products of the companies they put on the boxes. 

Johan never produced Chevrolets.

While MPC did make GTOs in 1967, they didn't use photographs, they used illustrations and had the car angled perpendicular to the diagonal on the box. 

20221015_191552.png.d8be9373a4edb43c02a1e526a17a8a53.png

20221015_191813.png.f613c46cefe30e7ff8950068ca460b65.png

20221015_191622.png.07cd3a0090fa45412c4badd3fbbd9db8.png

And Eldon would never have gotten away with using AMTs packaging and slogans.

And Revell also used illustrations in 1963, After 1962, they stopped doing annuals too.

Sorry to drop precipitation on everyone's cavalcade. 

I don’t know if the point is ever to make them look “legitimate”, or to fool anyone anyway.

Anybody that knows anything about the history of model car kits pretty much knows what was produced as a real kit and what wasn’t.

I think that most of the guys that are producing these phantom kit boxes are just doing it for the fun of it.

By the way, the fact that Johan never did any Chevies was just one of the most glaring reasons why it was obvious that the kit was fake.

Steve

26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

By the way, the fact that Johan never did any Chevies was just one of the most glaring reasons why it was obvious that the kit was fake.

Steve

That and the fact that Jairus Watson never did their box illustrations. 😉

• Haha 1