Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help finding a vintage car model kit

Probably a long shot but here goes:

Looking for a car model I had as a kid.  Time frame would be late 60s to early/mid 70s.  Model kit was of what I believe was a 60s era indy car.  Something like a 65 lotus.  Plastic model.  Picture on the box was of a red car and I believe the body inside was red as well.  Pretty good sized model, so I am guessing 1:18 scale or larger.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

your best bet is a search on scalemates for the box you remember. Also I know i've found toys i had as a kid that were much smaller than i remebred them being so search other scales too. it might take a bit of time searching but start with indy car or race car and it should narrow it down a bit and save you some time. the dates on scalemates can be innacurate too so be general with those. It not that scalemates is bad, its a great reference for boxes and brands, but being user generated a lot of the facts can be wrong. good luck finding the kit

23 hours ago, stitchdup said:

your best bet is a search on scalemates for the box you remember. Also I know i've found toys i had as a kid that were much smaller than i remebred them being so search other scales too. it might take a bit of time searching but start with indy car or race car and it should narrow it down a bit and save you some time. the dates on scalemates can be innacurate too so be general with those. It not that scalemates is bad, its a great reference for boxes and brands, but being user generated a lot of the facts can be wrong. good luck finding the kit

Stitchdup - Thanks for the feedback.  Never heard of scalemates before, but now that I know of them I will give them a look.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, Kickstand said:

Probably a long shot but here goes:

Looking for a car model I had as a kid.  Time frame would be late 60s to early/mid 70s.  Model kit was of what I believe was a 60s era indy car.  Something like a 65 lotus.  Plastic model.  Picture on the box was of a red car and I believe the body inside was red as well.  Pretty good sized model, so I am guessing 1:18 scale or larger.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

How about this '66 Indy Lotus by Bandai in 1/16 scale?

bandai Lotus.jpg

Edited by jokar124

Is anyone producing a repop of that Monogram roadster?  I have a freebie that sat too long in the direct sun, and looks like a Sal Dali watch!  I was a kid then, and came to love the look of those old Kurtis, Watson, and other roadsters; had a few die-cast toy ones.  I'd love to build a NOVI version; got the book.  I'm not an avid race-car builder at all.  Wick

5 hours ago, W Humble said:

Is anyone producing a repop of that Monogram roadster?  I have a freebie that sat too long in the direct sun, and looks like a Sal Dali watch!  I was a kid then, and came to love the look of those old Kurtis, Watson, and other roadsters; had a few die-cast toy ones.  I'd love to build a NOVI version; got the book.  I'm not an avid race-car builder at all.  Wick

Monogram Indianapolis Racer 1/24 Model Kit #22443Are you asking about this kit? 

Should have made that more clear: yep!  But I don't want to despoil a  vintage boxed one, come to that.  Hoping some modern version were available; sure is cool!  I made a few resin-casts of the Offy, and one siamesed into a straight-8 to simulate a vintage Miller.  So far my replicas to create a NOVI v-8 haven't looked accurate enogh.  Also did some protos of the Hawk M-B GP V-12 of the late '30s (the 1:1, not the kit!) with mixed results.  That model was for display only, not adapted to fit their 1:24 car, but was sadly lacking in detail; not even exhaust manifolds or carb!  Well enough of that!  Thx, Wick