Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

plug wires

Plug wires; don't go out without 'em!  First thing I notice on a build when the hood is open, I suppose.  I built my own distributor/magento and wire set ups for quite some time, and still do the Vertex style mags (below), but I often buy either Parks (best) or Gofer (okay) pre-built, especially when they go on sale.  Parks includes the coil (though it's so tiny I can hardly see it now; wonder how he does, as he's even older than me?!) which is very nice.

I can't find the ideal size plug wire, nor do my 'hang right, but I'm usually using scrounged wire.  I have a spool of black from I forget which source that is too thin; it resembles Gofer from Hobbylinc stock, but I use it.  The cylindrical Vertex-style magnetos I make from old (real old!) auto antenna stock -- chromed brass, as a rule, and FREE -- cutting the top with a roller tubing-cutter, and the bottom with an abrasive blade on my Dreml.  It would be nice to cut both with the rolling blade, as it chamfers the end nicely, but it often becomes to short to fit the cutter jaw. In the top/chamfered end, I glue a piece of thick tube; sprue works, nd drill a tiny hole through it side to side.  Then, I cut the wires to length (four for an eight-cylinder car, etc.) and poke them through the hole in the top, and expedient but it hasn't drawn criticism...  Then I put a 1/16" pop rivet in the bottom with epoxy on it for the shaft, which is trimmed.  Usually, old phone 'spaghetti' wire colored coverings work for this, but I strip the insulation off to make it flexible enough to look somewhat realistic.  Boot material is where you find it.

Boy, do I drone on!  Like I think I'm still getting paid by the word, or something!   Good topic; sorry I don't have photos.  Wick

I have been able to find good wire for plug cables.   You got look at outside diameter, not AWG size.    There is wire available that is .25 mm in diameter.  In 1/24 scale that is a quarter inch.   I use that for standard ignition.  I also found wire that is .4 mm in diameter.   That is 3/8 inch in 1:1 scale.   I use that for HEI systems.  Both of those sizes are available in many colors and cost about $5.00 plus shipping for ten meters (<> 30 feet).  Just stay away from Teflon insulated wire.  Teflon insulation is not opaque nor can you paint it.