Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember Hot Rod the movie? (1979)

Mike C.

Any relation to the Henry Felson book, Hot Rod?

s-l500.png

From Goodreads...

"Speed! Danger! Death! These words were splashed across the cover of Hot Rod, warning readers. Written in 1950, this book gives an historical look at the dangers of teens and reckless driving. After WWII, cars became more accessible, and teens were now hitting the roads for excitement. Many horrific accidents occurred all over the country. Felsen was specifically approached to write a book about the dangers of teen drivers. Bud Crayne was the typical tough guy with a chip on his shoulder. Dressed in a black leather jacket, black boots, and blue jeans, he was not the clean cut kid. Adults cursed him, while teens admired him. He drove fast and wild. His idea was to "drive your way out" of any trouble. While it worked for Bud, others weren't as fortunate. A couple of horrific wrecks make him question his need for speed."

It's pretty good.  :)

I still remember the line with the 671 GM blower. Back when my dad was in business, I would always go rummaging around in the shop attic as a kid and one day I found that same blower up there. My dad told me he had it for a diesel truck engine, but I would still show it off to all of my friends. 

s-l640 (4).jpg

I’m watching it now since I never saw it. So his Mopar Hemi blows up and he needs a short block . They steel a engine out of police car . The police car is an AMC .  Mopar Hemi in a AMC ?  There are some cool cars and drag racing scenes in the movie IMO . 

• Haha 1

I first watched this when I was around 9 years old, when it was new on tv, I thought it was really cool. I was just rewatching it now, yikes! It is quite a steamer.....about 20 minutes in, I turned the volume off and just watched the car and racing footage. There are some neat old hot rods and drag cars in it....... 

The Willys does still exist, as a tube frame Pro Mod type car.  I saw it once, it was lettered "Hot Rod Willys".  I believe it was wrecked and rebuilt some time ago.

The 4-4-2 supposedly still exists, as a rough hulk minus any important parts.

iv seen it.  it caused me to on a car movie downloading spree several years ago.  got Hot Rod, Hot Rod Rumble, King of the Mountain, a movie id never heard of called "Red Line" staring Chad McQueen, the original Gone in 60 Seconds, The California Kid, a cheesy late 90's made for TV semi "remake" (i use that term loosely) of The Love Bug.  Funny Car Summer, Fabulous Floppers, and some late 50's drag racing film called Ingenuity in Action.

anyway there's also this movie called Hot Rod

On 10/14/2022 at 5:35 PM, cobraman said:

I’m watching it now since I never saw it. So his Mopar Hemi blows up and he needs a short block . They steel a engine out of police car . The police car is an AMC .  Mopar Hemi in a AMC ?  There are some cool cars and drag racing scenes in the movie IMO . 

Hollywood. 🙄

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Or, how about The Blob...

Steve McQueen, and, as one of the guys in the hot rod club, Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins (film was made in his then home town)...

Both towns are near me. Phoenixville (movie theater scene) and Downingtown (diner scene).

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Or, how about The Blob...

I figure that it was probably making its way to TV around the time Mom was pregnant with me. I often wonder if I was named after McQueen's character. I can picture Mom and Dad in the living room and my mom saying, " Steve Andrews, I like that." 

I haven't seen that one in a while, I believe he was billed as Steven McQueen.  More recently I saw an episode of Tales of Wells Fargo, where the billing was "Introducing Steve McQueen", which probably came a bit after The Blob.