Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Green Hornet

Joe Nunes

Today I put some paint on a few parts so that is a start in the right direction. Decided not to glue the inside rear window surround to the top as it looked too clunky when I looked at it.  Sanded the outside window surround flatter and now it looks better. Am gluing the knobs to the dashboard and getting it ready for primer.  Will be spraying white primer on the top piece, the dashboard, and the inside of the body. After the top dries it will get a spray of Testors Dull Cote; nothing fancy while staying with the original model idea somewhat though it should end up simulating an off-white convertible top. And onwards we go...😉

Joe

8 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looking good.

Thanks!  I really enjoy working with this little guy but also need to get it finished.  I embarrass myself at times when realizing how long it is taking me to wrap up the build.  Oh well... I'll just keep on keeping on, sorta like a turtle going to the races!  🤣😁

Joe

I am too old to actually fret about it taking a long time to accomplish anything anymore, but dang it all, it sure does take my hands a long time to keep up with my thoughts when working with these small model items.    Takes about five minutes to build the entire model when I’m daydreaming about it…about five hours to accomplish some little task when actually doing the work!  😳😄😉  Putting the little finicky knobs and screws onto the dashboard now (that is a real hoot using reading glasses, magnifying visor and pointed tweezers!).  Also added a light black wash to the expanded metal radiator insert to tone the shine down a bit.  Getting ready to put the small “metal” plates onto the three painted pedals; will attach them with a dab of Tamiya Clear Acrylic paint.  It’s all fun!

Joe 

It's all about the journey, my friend! I mean, sometimes it would be nice if the road didn't get bumpy, but, I can't imagine how much less fun this would be, for me, if I felt like every project was a race. Usually, once a year (this weekend, in fact), I participate in a 24 Hour build, on Facebook. That allows me all the "hurry" in modeling, that I need! 😀I begged off, this year, because I am really into my dragster, right now, and didn't feel as if I would enjoy that, as much as working on the dragster. I like your approach, Joe!

• Like 2

Added the two outside welt pieces to the side body at the cowl/body junction.  The dashboard is now about as ready for paint as it is going to be, and I added location pins to the inside of the cowl for the dashboard.  The front window glass was in a badly scratched condition out of the kit box so I am getting the “glass” scratch marks cleaned up with fine grit sanding pads.  Also, I decided to model the front window glass in an open position just for the fun of it. 😁

Joe 

D0C4A183-3D89-4D11-864D-8B0B84732205.jpeg

E9F7FB31-D7F8-40DB-BC07-F291A95827F3.jpeg

3702A3AB-92CB-493C-8AF8-59343DBA6609.jpeg

6FB2BC5C-3721-4F39-9DD6-A4DB24EA4A5A.jpeg

A13FC565-F9CE-465E-8316-2F144856F463.jpeg

• Like 3

Haven't forgotten about this build. Been working on a couple of fiddly things on this model that require some additional attention such as the tail lights are being redone, a bit of putty work here and there where needed and whatever else I see that comes up before paint work. 😉🙂

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes
Clarity
  • Like 1

The tail light area on my kit part had a slightly rounded surface running vertical. This keeps the tail lights from sitting flush on the body surface, which I thought left an unsightly gap around each tail light.  I could foresee the glue wanting to ooze out when the lights were put in place.  Also, I wasn’t pleased with my previous work on the tail lights so I made the decision to redo the lights. 

First, I carefully removed the clear red paint and the blue sequin dot from the light using dental tools and the like. This allowed me to open up the area in which the clear red paint will again be applied. The light was sanded smooth and I took the opportunity to drop the height of the tail light so it would not stand so proud off the body; I think this looks better to my eyes.  Second, I made up a couple of wire pins for the lights to help keep the lights on the body during the work. Then the mounting holes were drilled through the body to match the wire pins.  Thirdly, various metal hobby files, a #11 blade, and various sandpaper grits were used to flatten the surface where each light will be mounted. Each light location was outlined with a graphite pencil lead so I could keep the work localized to each tail light.  Finally, some careful sanding should remove the work scratches and get the body cleaned up again. 

I am pleased with the results. A fiddly little thing perhaps, however, now I feel better having made the change. 

Joe

C3E6D1BD-5C60-4312-AE57-6AF7B2EC1F50.jpeg

E96DA235-908A-48F9-8EA4-7212BCC9E2E3.jpeg

6FA7E961-05B3-40E6-A64A-EF6C1F7EF89B.jpeg

35CD9E16-2771-4ED6-8698-3DC26EC58558.jpeg

• Like 2

This afternoon I worked on the front window a bit.  Decided to pin the “glass” before finishing the glass cleanup, glass surround and windshield frame.  Now I have an opening front window that I can pose open or closed as desired. So, onward we go as I continue avoiding paint time!  😂😁😉

Joe

893F6344-7475-443D-BDEC-708D7C83F844.jpeg

5DACA3BF-08C8-4A60-9040-B6E20325C360.jpeg

F82E7372-F406-442E-9CDA-864656A731DD.jpeg

39A9C12B-4D51-4112-8867-BA3819D8C121.jpeg

A949C048-F677-43DD-8684-8CF0CF44E491.jpeg

5D648642-F8A8-4FF6-B542-DAC3E4D89050.jpeg

C1227DFA-C47B-4DA3-B105-AEBD05DE3E8B.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this build until today so went straight to page 4, made a comment and decided to read from page 1. And I saw this:

On 11/10/2022 at 11:43 PM, Joe Nunes said:

After looking at more of the absolutely fantastic builds displayed by model makers who know what they are doing, and then coming back here and looking at what I put on the forum as a WIP, I can only say I am embarrassed that the build thread was started. 

Joe

Joe, you've seen my stuff and I have enjoyed your input on my threads. You should not feel embarrassed, especially after looking at my stuff. You are meticulous, methodical, and inventive and this is quite obvious. You are an example for all of us. Keep doing what you are doing because you are definitely doing it right. 👌 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim, thank you for the vote of confidence; you are much too kind!  As for the tweezers, I bought those quite some time ago when I was building RC model aircraft and do not recall where I got them. They are perfect for holding/changing small strips of sandpaper while working on a model project. 

Joe

Edit:  The tweezers are a ZONA  7. 

Edited by Joe Nunes
Adding information

33 minutes ago, customline said:

Found 'em !  Excell makes them. It looks like a very handy tool, Joe. I live and die by my tweezers. And, of course, my Excell Magni-visor. Without these things, nothing would be possible 😶.

🙂1569057712_s-l1600(1).jpg.24cdd3579a37b30d306488e05fbfce15.jpg

Added information to my above post:  found the tweezers to be ZONA  7.  Glad to see you found some of similar style as they are definitely useful.  👌

Joe