Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

On 11/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

And that's as many parts as were found in most kits not so long ago. πŸ˜πŸ‘

I have built a lot of kits, some within the last few years that didn't have 60 parts, in them, when I started them!Β πŸ˜„

I got the tie rod tab replaced, and the chassis repainted. The old center section of the tie rod was too long. I used a length of aluminum rod to help align the new tab. When I looked at the old tie rod center section, I didn't like the way the brass was showing, where the paint had chipped. I decided to bore the aforementioned rod, and use it, in place of the brass tube. I also made a new steering arm. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Daniel,Β  this is often unavoidable but certain repairs/modifications occur during a long build like yours, itΒ prolongs the project but you need what it takes to be satisfied and I know you are demanding. πŸ‘

Often, it happens that it's not about being a great modeler, but about having a willingness to do it over. As always, I appreciate your thoughts! I think it looks better, now, too! Thanks, my friend!

Β 

The dragster is totally off the hook! Glad I got to see it in person. I can remember being at the Mile High Nats when CJ and Garlits saw the bug. You've been a great friend for oh so many years.Β 

• Like 1

Thanks, bud. I am glad you got to, as well. It has been a long time. That was the 1990 Mile Highs. It was wet and freaking cold, that weekend! Eliminations? MONDAY! MONDAY! MONDAY!

I am starting to get nervous. I think I only have one or two tiny things to do, before I mount the headers. Once those are on, I can mount the body and the wheels and tires. All that will be left, then, is the upper fuel system. It's really getting there!

I made some decals for the front airfoils, and one for the nose, because I wanted to fill the space in front of the Mac Tools decal. That's from Rush's Snakes and Arrows album art. I used it because, well, Rush! I think it works with the overall theme. Questions and comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

I got the headers mounted! I also made the decals for the injector hat. Next up, I'll get the data wires hooked up for the exhaust temp sensors. Then, I should be able to do any minor fixesΒ  and touchups, and begin getting the panels hung. This project is really getting close to the top end! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

• Like 2

Really outdone yourself with this build Daniel! On top of it it's really nice to see this ancient build moving along at a steady pace with updates. I remember when this project start oh so long ago. Like many of my builds that have been moth balled lol.

Paul

8 hours ago, mr68gts said:

Really outdone yourself with this build Daniel! On top of it it's really nice to see this ancient build moving along at a steady pace with updates. I remember when this project start oh so long ago. Like many of my builds that have been moth balled lol.

Paul

Thanks, Paul! Yes, it's been around a long, old time! I am hoping to finish it by the end of the year, but it might sneak into early next year. If things go well, I might be able to get a couple of body panels on, today. It feels like I've spent most of the last seven years just finishing up old projects that have been sitting here, forever. This one has always been kind of special to me, and it will be extra cool, to see it complete. Thanks again, bud!

On 12/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks, Paul! Yes, it's been around a long, old time! I am hoping to finish it by the end of the year, but it might sneak into early next year. If things go well, I might be able to get a couple of body panels on, today. It feels like I've spent most of the last seven years just finishing up old projects that have been sitting here, forever. This one has always been kind of special to me, and it will be extra cool, to see it complete. Thanks again, bud!

Yeah, I started going though projects started myself and taking stock of what's what. A few have been moved so many times that all the pieces aren't even together with the model anymore lol. It's definitely time I take care of old projects or get rid of them. Not getting any younger here haha.

Anyway, can't wait to see this thing finished!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr68gts said:

Yeah, I started going though projects started myself and taking stock of what's what. A few have been moved so many times that all the pieces aren't even together with the model anymore lol. It's definitely time I take care of old projects or get rid of them. Not getting any younger here haha.

Anyway, can't wait to see this thing finished!

Strangely enough, mine managed to stay together through several moves. Whew! Start going through boxes, and find stuff that I didn't even remember I'd started on!Β πŸ˜‚Β I hear you, about not getting any younger! I've had some fun, finishing up some of this old stuff! I am really looking forward to having this one completed!Β 

17 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Daniel, I am blown away by the job you did on the headers, I'm hoping to at least come close to what you have accomplished here but I think the bar is now just out of reach.Β  Fantastic work my friend!!!

I appreciate that, Ian. You have it in you! I have confidence in your abilities, my friend!

I hooked up the EGT modules, and made the clamp for the engine RPM readout. Thankfully, I'm running out of wires, etc., to hook up! Also, I have been making zip-ties for the cage padding. I've added a step to the process of making them, that makes them look much better. Before I "ball" the end with a lighter, I place the monofilament in the vise, and flatten a length of it. This simple step creates a much more believable tie.Β 

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

• Like 1

Okay! First off; Francis, I am always glad when something from my workbench finds its way to another's.πŸ™‚Β I made 20-some-odd zip ties for the roll cage padding. I need to trim most of them. Then, I began hanging the body panels, and installing the tail section and 'chutes. I may redo the bracket that mounts the 'chute cords, as it looks bulky, to me. Even though they're very close to being permanently mounted, I couldn't resist putting the wheel/tire assemblies on, just to look! Next, I'll finish the steering and get the magnesium and rubber on it! Comments, critiques and questions are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0029cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 2