Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many pics?

Andy Oldenburg

It's okay to post higher resolution pictures. We have disk space for this purpose. Similarly, we don't have a limit on the number of pictures. So far, this hasn't been a problem, but if it does, we'll address it then. 

The board will only load them as you scroll them into view. (aka lazy loading) this enables us to use high res images with much less impact that they used to have. 

Yes, I forgot how the new software handles the posts that have tons of photos in them. It does minimize how they are shown, but it is still a bit more difficult to pick one photo out of 30 to reply to. I would still limit the number of photos in a post to 5, with no limit to the number of posts you can have in a thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

Yes, I forgot how the new software handles the posts that have tons of photos in them. It does minimize how they are shown, but it is still a bit more difficult to pick one photo out of 30 to reply to. I would still limit the number of photos in a post to 5, with no limit to the number of posts you can have in a thread.

Erm...I'll try to remember that! I might tend to get carried away, at times, with numbers, although I generally try to keep most of my photos under 100KB, so they don't take forever to load.

In a recent editorial, Gregg mentioned that a lot of great stuff was being seen on the forums, that would be good for "Forum Finds", but that photos were too small to be effectively used for publication. There is so much fantastic work on display, and being performed here, that there's no way it could ever all be featured in the magazine, but, if a modeler's photos are too small, there is no chance, at all. What's a good "physical size" for a photo to be used for publication? 2048 pixels wide? 1700? 

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Erm...I'll try to remember that! I might tend to get carried away, at times, with numbers, although I generally try to keep most of my photos under 100KB, so they don't take forever to load.

In a recent editorial, Gregg mentioned that a lot of great stuff was being seen on the forums, that would be good for "Forum Finds", but that photos were too small to be effectively used for publication. There is so much fantastic work on display, and being performed here, that there's no way it could ever all be featured in the magazine, but, if a modeler's photos are too small, there is no chance, at all. What's a good "physical size" for a photo to be used for publication? 2048 pixels wide? 1700? 

Yes, Dave corrected me. They would like to see the higher resolution photos so that they could possibly be used for the Forum Finds section of the magazine.

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

It's okay to post higher resolution pictures. We have disk space for this purpose. Similarly, we don't have a limit on the number of pictures. So far, this hasn't been a problem, but if it does, we'll address it then. 

The board will only load them as you scroll them into view. (aka lazy loading) this enables us to use high res images with much less impact that they used to have. 

Hi,

my problem is that I can't seem to reduce pics to the size of 240kb in order to upload a profile pic.

I'm probably too stupid so If anyone can give me a hint how to do that I'd be happy!

I already tried by reducing the resolution of my mobile cam but that wasn't enough!

9 hours ago, Jürgen M. said:

Hi,

my problem is that I can't seem to reduce pics to the size of 240kb in order to upload a profile pic.

I'm probably too stupid so If anyone can give me a hint how to do that I'd be happy!

I already tried by reducing the resolution of my mobile cam but that wasn't enough!

If you're here, I seriously doubt you're stupid. You need to resize or crop the picture. If you have a PC available, I use a program called IrfanView for to resize images. It's a free to download and use. It also does a lot of other useful things.

Jürgen, most mobile devices will likely not let you resize a picture to something small enough for an avatar photo.  Like Dave mentioned, you will likely have to send the picture to a PC, then use one of the graphic editor apps to resize it.

Or maybe you mobile device can resize to a custom size?  If yes, try using a value of something like 300 pixels wide.  Or maybe you can download some graphic app to your device which will allow you to resize the photo?

Another option is to do a Internet search for "photo resizer",and use one of the online ones.