Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

17 hours ago, absmiami said:

Think UMM sells some scrapers like these - gotta ch out their site this weekend - maybe they sell ice scrapers too ??

You can also find many at Micro-Mark, but like anything else, there is different quality in this type of tool and I don't hesitate to buy good quality because a good tool lasts a long time.

For ice I use de-icing salt and it works wonderfully. 😁

18 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Will, your comments are fuel to my engine!   I love all Detroit muscle cars from the late 60's to early 70's, regardless of manufacturer, I am just more in my comfort zone with Mopar cars.  I also love Mustangs, the '70 BOSS is my favorite but the '69 isn't far behind.

As for the color for the Demon, it's a bit like the rest of the build, nothing definitive but probably a light color as black or dark colors tend to make details less visible.  I had even thought about pearl white and satin black hood but I will be open to suggestions. 😊

Francis

I feel ya, I love any muscle car from the 60s and 70s but Mopars are my favorite. If you want a bright color, I think this will look pretty cool. That or hemi orange with white.28A3006.webp.64a26e11876f7cf53d868adb08fdf8b5.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

I feel ya, I love any muscle car from the 60s and 70s but Mopars are my favorite. If you want a bright color, I think this will look pretty cool. That or hemi orange with white.

Thanks for the suggestions Will, orange is my favorite color but the GTX is already painted that color and I also built a 69 Coronet several years ago and painted it orange as well.  People would think I'm colorblind if I painted another one that color... 🙄

Time will do its work and the inspiration of other models on the forum could influence me in the right way!

Francis

22 hours ago, Rigor said:

Mind-blowing work as always how about just keeping it all raw no paint what so ever 

Thanks Dwayne!  It's not a bad idea but it would look a bit... unfinished if I can put it that way! 😁

19 hours ago, Keef said:

Panther Pink gets my vote! 😍😍

Thanks Keith!  I really like this color but I wonder if it could take away the virility or the aggressive look that I want to give it?🤔

18 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

My brother has a Citron Yella with factory V2 black painted top 71 Demon. That’s a cool color that is light also for your consideration.

Thanks for the suggestion Rich!  This is another color with good potential, I found this photo on the web and I think it might work. I still have a lot of time ahead of me to make a final decision. 😊72-Demon_Wheelie.JPG.8eb19ff970e472badc19c391311cf1c7.JPG

Thanks again to all of you for your great suggestions, my work continues on the project and I will get back to you very soon with an update.

Francis

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Keith!  I really like this color but I wonder if it could take away the virility or the aggressive look that I want to give it?🤔

Francis my friend, as awe inspiring and amazing as your builds are, I honestly don’t think any color could take away the virility of it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Keef said:

Francis my friend, as awe inspiring and amazing as your builds are, I honestly don’t think any color could take away the virility of it. 

You are so nice Keith!

Just to add a bit to my thoughts on the color is the fact that I spent a lot of time improving (I think that's the case...?) the rear panel and taillights, I want to use a color that will allow them to be seen clearly.  I really like the rear end of the Demon, it's very distinctive and very "Mopar", I'm willing to compromise on the color but I won't paint it beige you can be sure of that! 🙄   By the way, to be honest, Pink Panther was one of the first colors I thought of, you don't see them often! 😎

Francis

• Like 1

I am kinda partial to Sublime Green too. With black stripes it would show the awesome detail of your taillight assembly.

Heres the link to this one if you need more pics.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1532128/1971-dodge-demon-for-sale-in-o-fallon-illinois-62269

Just realized you’re building a 72 so here’s another link 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1170004/1972-dodge-demon-for-sale-in-sherman-texas-75092

IMG_0053.jpeg

Edited by Keef
I can’t read LOL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Keef said:

I am kinda partial to Sublime Green too. With black stripes it would show the awesome detail of your taillight assembly.

Heres the link to this one if you need more pics.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1532128/1971-dodge-demon-for-sale-in-o-fallon-illinois-62269

Just realized you’re building a 72 so here’s another link 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1170004/1972-dodge-demon-for-sale-in-sherman-texas-75092

Thanks for the links Keith!  Another of my favorite High Impact colors... too bad I painted my last build (D100) that color.   On the other hand, the scoop on the hood of 71 looks like something I had imagined for my project, It remains to be seen how much the carburetors will stick their noses out of the engine compartment. 😉

Francis

Hello everyone,

OK, the time has come to change the type of material to make shinny parts!

I spent the last few days working with my favorite tools, the lathe and the milling machine to start the more technical part of the project if I may say so.  I really enjoy working on body modifications (or improvements), but I also enjoy scratching my head and coming up with new techniques for machining parts.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I need to put this thing on its wheels so I started with the rear mag wheels.  No real new technique here but just a new kind of wheels of the same type as I made for my '70 GTX but a little more elaborate.  I found a photo and the make (or model) on a drag racing discussion forum and they are called Appliance according to the experts.  It's a style of wheels that fits the Demon perfectly and brings a touch of nostalgia that goes well with my project I think.  And you what do you think?

I'm leaving for work for a few days and I'll come back to you next weekend.

Francis

I started with a 0.625" T6 aluminum rod.233_Rear_Mag_Prog_1JPG.jpg.cc21d0b130b9dce898f822fbbaaf596e.jpg

After the diameter was reduced to fit the inner size of my Pro Stock tires, I began machining the outer side.234_Rear_Mag_Prog_2JPG.jpg.df6b3a7ca8b4f97f3209075c7e29d1d6.jpg

Right now they look like Center Line or Cragar Super Trick but I'm going to change that! 🙄235_Rear_Mag_Prog_3JPG.jpg.e50abbed2cd4c8a79311caf9968ece46.jpg

Looking at the target photo, I saw that there is a rounded shape at the bottom of the rear wheels so I used a ball nose end mill to create that shape.236_Rear_Mag_Prog_4JPG.jpg.6c662f504606f90366e5e637c963aa75.jpg

Next I made the slots using an oval drill bit... 😂  No, No, I used a carbide drill bit and using the rotary table I rotate 20 degrees to create the slot shape.  I repeated this same operation 4 more times to complete the design.237_Rear_Mag_Prog_5JPG.jpg.f15806d99992778c0f9338d6ed340ca6.jpg

Both twins at a more advanced stage.238_Rear_Mag_Prog_6JPG.jpg.4c521d4f435af89d599101cb3d3e8627.jpg

I also drilled the holes for the wheel nuts and made a small seat for each one.239_Rear_Mag_Prog_7JPG.jpg.01a2ab76d5dc37423d4838e075091bb6.jpg

Back on the lathe to machine the back of the wheel.  Take note, it is very important to record the depth measurements of the front side so as not to go straight (or have a wall that is too thick) when working on the back side.240_Rear_Mag_Prog_8JPG.jpg.4a8d432eafb0d01ac4b2f999df0db818.jpg

I remove material from the center and keep a raised portion at each end that produces the edges of the wheel.241_Rear_Mag_Prog_9JPG.jpg.031b401c6353c01a88723333a70c9363.jpg

Later I will drill small holes for the air valves they are located in the center of one slot.242_Rear_Mag_Final_1JPG.jpg.701c432a25bc85d48810078f4800252f.jpg

I'm pretty happy with them, I'll keep them unpolished as it gives them a vintage magnesium look.  Rear slicks are rubber compound American Satco Pro Stock.243_Rear_Mag_Final_2JPG.jpg.537e29a99414fc478effd8aa509014ad.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing your wheel-turning techniques. I intend to do a set, one day. The thing that's held me back, so far, is all the numbers! I want to get a zero-able set of handwheels for my lathe, but haven't got to that, yet! The wheels look beauty, eh!

• Like 1

Back in the day when Appliance was a force in the custom wheel industry I sold a bunch of  "Appliance Slots"  when I worked at JB's Automotive.  In fact they were the first set of wheels on my 76 Mustang II until Centerline released their first wheels.  You have the look of the wheels dead on and they fit the era of your car perfectly.  While Cragar SS's were still very popular the serious racers were running the Appliance wheels as they were slightly lighter than the Cragars and the Chrome didn't fall off the all aluminum Appliances.

• Like 1

Francis, those are the wheels I pictured when I thought about this car. I* think they're perfect. If you are still considering color, my vote would be for Panther pink or citron yella. Of course you could always go for candy apple red!

Jerry 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 9:26 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice. When you said you had an oval drill bit I wouldn't have doubted you.

This is a great how to turn a wheel tutorial.

Do you use one 3 jaw chuck or do you have one for each wheel to do the operations on each at the same time.

Thanks Bob!

I have more than one 3 jaw chuck but I only use one and keep the part in that one until each operation requiring precise measurements and/or cuts with specific angulations is performed.  At the end I go back to the lathe for the final cuts and just have to consider the depth so I don't go straight through and risk destroying the wheel.

I hope this helps.

Francis

On 1/16/2024 at 10:39 PM, Sledsel said:

WOW!  that's all I have

Thanks Andy!  It's just a word but it tells me a lot! 😊

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 1:17 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you for sharing your wheel-turning techniques. I intend to do a set, one day. The thing that's held me back, so far, is all the numbers! I want to get a zero-able set of handwheels for my lathe, but haven't got to that, yet! The wheels look beauty, eh!

Thanks Daniel, I have no doubt that you can do it, it's not that difficult, you just need to take your time and be well organized and keep notes of the measurements for successive operations.

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 6:36 AM, Moparman18064 said:

What psi are you to run in them?😁 I was going to say your work is over the top, but you keep raising the top. I can’t wait for the next update.

Thanks Rich!  I haven't added the air valves yet so I can't answer your question. 😂

For the next update it's a bit predictable because I also have to machine the front wheels and then I can focus on something else and there are a lot of them!

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 9:31 AM, John B. said:

Those wheels are things of beauty, as is the rest of your project!

Thanks John, I really appreciate your kind comments!

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 10:41 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Back in the day when Appliance was a force in the custom wheel industry I sold a bunch of  "Appliance Slots"  when I worked at JB's Automotive.  In fact they were the first set of wheels on my 76 Mustang II until Centerline released their first wheels.  You have the look of the wheels dead on and they fit the era of your car perfectly.  While Cragar SS's were still very popular the serious racers were running the Appliance wheels as they were slightly lighter than the Cragars and the Chrome didn't fall off the all aluminum Appliances.

Thanks Ian, I'm not an expert on the subject but I have the impression that several companies made these kinds of wheels at the time but some had a cheap look.  I thought this one had a more rugged look and would generate a drag racing look that goes well with the subject.  Your knowledge on the subject comforts me with my choice and I take your comments as a mark of success.  Thanks my friend!

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 7:34 PM, Nazz said:

Francis, those are the wheels I pictured when I thought about this car. I* think they're perfect. If you are still considering color, my vote would be for Panther pink or citron yella. Of course you could always go for candy apple red!

Jerry 

Thanks Jerry!  I'm very happy with the rear wheels and will work on the front ones next. 

As for the color I have to say I'm still a long way from painting and will consider any good suggestions that come my way, the fact that it's an imaginary car gives me a lot of freedom of choice.

Francis

On 1/17/2024 at 7:54 PM, charlie libby said:

hi Francis , your wheels look great. your whole project is as always an inspiration to try harder for me. i hope someday to see one in person.

Thanks Charles!  When it comes to inspiring others, you're hard to beat, I follow your projects with great interest.  Thank you for sharing, I find lots of ways of doing things that help me in my machining techniques.

Francis

• Like 1