Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Dec 2022

Mr mopar

8e0040f38607ce2ae8e0c8a72aac5ef6.jpg

Cool looking van, what year grille is shown here?  I would love to backdate the Dodge Van kit to the early body style.  But a new grille would be more doable. As for the cabinets I could look for the inserts.  Does anyone have those actual interior parts ?

-Steve  

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 9:11 AM, Daddyfink said:

I found all of the interior pieces bagged up inside a spare parts goodies box at a kit show. Great for making a work van or even a Garage Diorama. Would be great to see this version of the van back 

Jessie Chavez (aka Daddyfink) says he has the interior cabinets too.

A '79 would be great. Mebbe add one of the U-hal/Haul away trailers for extra oomph.

Anyway, I'm thrilled. ANY Backdated van would be a winner at this point, IMHO.

Plus any other optional parts (Grilles, Spoilers, Wheels) that might still be hanging around the edges of the tool.

Many Thanks, Steve for looking into this.

Would it even be worth it to do the cabinets for the van? They're not going to be very visible unless one opens the roof panel and puts in the clear piece. If I ever do get around to building one of these vans, I'm going to convert it to a short wheelbase. 

25 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Would it even be worth it to do the cabinets for the van? They're not going to be very visible unless one opens the roof panel and puts in the clear piece. If I ever do get around to building one of these vans, I'm going to convert it to a short wheelbase. 

Know what you mean, in that respect the MPC Ford van is the better choice for a mobile workshop, but it never has been offered that way, so while it would be cool, I assume much less likely to happen.

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Here you go.

49711977577_ca8e66b8ac_c-1.jpg.3c8de95d2bc89a4d89a2ee31247d7f33.jpg

I remember everyone slamming this model because of the round headlights in the newer grille. Turns out, the '79 Dodge van had a round headlight grille with the markers and signals on the corner.

8e0040f38607ce2ae8e0c8a72aac5ef6.jpg.e0bb517118a095af997e397343e4a4ac.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg.ef5424d8db4beb3bb13d29c25720b0c5.jpg

junkyard-find-1979-dodge-b200-landmark-van-conversion.jpg.19df808a247998693e3f41e59a9382bb.jpg

It's still not an accurate grille. But, these prove that the newer grille did come with round headlights in '79. The AMT grille looks like they just added the markers/signals to the '78 grille.

They used round headlight on the base model vans until somewhere around '85,  IIRC.

But, no, they never had a year they used a grille with the wide bar through it with lights at either end like in that kit.

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

Cool looking van, what year grille is shown here?  I would love to backdate the Dodge Van kit to the early body style.  But a new grille would be more doable. As for the cabinets I could look for the inserts.  Does anyone have those actual interior parts ?

-Steve  

It wouldn't be a "backdate", more of a "sidedate" as the round headlight grille was used on the lower level vans until the mid '80s.

On 12/13/2022 at 7:32 AM, SteveG said:

-Steve  

I have a couple new vans with the shop interior and various other 70s MPC vans. Lmk here or on Instagram if you need to see something. Anything to get van stuff back on the market 

Edited by Hondamatic