Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford Flatbed Monument Truck

This is a freelance project of my own design from an idea I've had in my head for several years. This will become a short-wheelbase flatbed truck used for moving graveyard plot markers for the more affluent incoming residents of the cemetery, (think tall concrete or stone markers with a family name or crest prominent on them).

It is being built from a 1/25 Revell 1950 Ford Pickup kit that was incomplete, so I've had to gather parts from a variety of other kits. This shows in the chassis pic where you can see the dark-colored sections grafted-in from a 1955 Chevy Cameo pickup kit, (surprisingly the same dimensions as the '50 Ford frame/chassis).

The wheels and tires will be a set of resin, medium-duty duallies from Scenes Unlimited, (incredibly good quality). I will post some more mockup pics in the near-future with more build details and a continuation of the storyline. 

A bit of my freelance back-story. Upon graduating from college in 1938, Clement Fairchild married his college sweetheart Cynthia on the stipulation from her parents that they live in her upstate New York hometown where Clement's new father-in-law could help him get his career off to a good start. Cynthia's father (and grandfather before that), were very successful and well-known morticians in this affluent community, and Cynthia and her father had a plan for capitalizing on the family's past success. 

More back-story to come... here's some project pics; comments and suggestions welcome. 

PXL_20221224_155452542.jpg

PXL_20221224_155654796.jpg

PXL_20221223_174055188.jpg

First mockup off-the-ground on the Scenes Unlimited wheels and tires... I think I might switch these wheels and tires out for something else as these are a bit too big for the flatbed I intend on creating for this build. 

Part 2 of the back-story:

As Clement and Cynthia Fairchild lived in a very affluent upstate New York community, and Cynthia's father was the community mortician, he financed their purchase of a small, local company that produced simple grave markers for the cemetery. Wealth-seeking Cynthia immediately stepped into the new position of Sales Manager and promoted a new line of elaborate gravesite monuments that hadn't really been produced or sold previously.  It was Clement's job to get those new monuments into production.

PXL_20221229_035645021.jpg

PXL_20221229_035659174.jpg

PXL_20221229_035723233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wanting to build a Stubby Bob. I even created a Casale V Drive for it. Its free on Cults3D. Its the same drive they used on RoadKill.

Texas 3D Customs has the Blown Hemi, Scenes Unlimited has the wheels and tires. Its all out there to build Stubby Bob.

image.png.73ff00aaa01ef40beda5307d58635187.png

image.png.c422bab9dce487a86e68ff7691bdae69.png

On 12/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, '70 Grande said:

The wheels and tires will be a set of resin, medium-duty duallies from Scenes Unlimited, (incredibly good quality). 

Neat project. Nice to see a 1/2 ton kit grow to be a 1 1/2 ton.  Excellent choice for wheels and tires! IMO, Danny @ S.U. knocked it out of the park with his 17.5" and 20" medium duty tire and wheel sets.

Well, this project has stalled thanks purely to Keef's post above! I had never met Stubby Bob before... didn't know he existed! After doing some research, I'm thinking this project might detour into a Stubby Bob build... appreciate the info provided by Oldmopars, too!

Gotta do some rethinking now.