Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari Mythos - After nearly 20 years, I guess I should finish it?

Jonathan

I picked this up when they first came out around 1990 or so.  I actually started the kit in late 2002 or early 2003; but then life happened and the partly assembled kit was put back in the box.  I recently dug it out and decided to finish it.   Here's what I've done so far:

2022-12-28-22-59-53-903_orig.jpeg

This is the kit as I dug it out of the stash.  Originally, I'd planned to paint it silver (who wants a red one-off Ferrari, anyway?!?).   Prior to putting the kit away, I had finished the engine, and I'd primed, painted, striped, primed, painted ... (as per my usual method of painting, it seems) the body.

2022-12-28-23-12-43-407_orig.jpeg

For the late 2022, early 2023 restart of the kit, I decided to go with Tamiya Light Gun Metal for the body color.

2022-12-29-12-24-50-128_orig.jpeg

2022-12-30-22-08-11-155_orig.jpeg

2022-12-28-22-59-41-172_orig.jpeg

And various Tamiya black paints for the underbody

2022-12-30-21-42-18-271_orig.jpeg

More to come (I hope!) ....

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 4

Being a big Testarossa fan as a kid in the 80's with a poster on my wall I was intrigued by this car and I built the Monogram version when it was new. Not my best build, as there were some fit issues, but I also painted it silver like you planned to. Then I was introduced to Tamiya kits and found one of these on clearance. Still have it in my stash as one of those "someday" builds. 

Yours is looking very good. Great color choice. Plans for the interior color? Tan?

On 1/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good color for it, really brings out the curves and lines. :D

Thank you - I agree, I like the color.  I mean, I get why Ferrari would paint the original one red and all.

12 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Nice! have seen these in the hobby shop a couple of times and like the idea of building one, and they are usaly dirt cheep in comparisson to a F40,F50 or Enzo. I have also been looking at them to just steal the tires since i am a sucker for wide tires:D

You definitely need to pick one up and give it a try.

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Being a big Testarossa fan as a kid in the 80's with a poster on my wall I was intrigued by this car and I built the Monogram version when it was new. Not my best build, as there were some fit issues, but I also painted it silver like you planned to. Then I was introduced to Tamiya kits and found one of these on clearance. Still have it in my stash as one of those "someday" builds. 

Yours is looking very good. Great color choice. Plans for the interior color? Tan?

Thank you.  I'm thinking shades of gray and black for the interior, at least right now.  I do like the idea of a contrasting interior, though.

3 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Good start on this one. I built this kit back when it came out and have been thinking about revisiting it for a while. I'll probably go with red, but I'm leaning toward Mica Red. I think the shape needs a metallic or pearl to accentuate those lines.

Tamiya's Mica Red is a great color. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little bit of work done on the Mythos.

Seatbelts added.   

2023-01-24-19-16-07-805_orig.jpeg

And a test fit of the engine.  I haven't touched the engine since I started the initial build of the kit back in '02 or '03.  I thought about doing some touchups, but decided to leave everything that I'd started back then "as is" and just concentrate on finishing the build.

2023-01-24-19-16-11-947_orig.jpeg

• Like 3

Oops.

So .... I thought I'd touch up the dash and use more of a flat black than the dark gray.  Mind you, I've completed everything else and all that remained was final assembly.

Removed the masking tape - and removed the paint.  Oopsy.   I think this is related to whatever primer I used initially (I don't recall).   So, looks like a strip and repaint is in order for the body.    Oh, so close .... :)

imnzXZXQTx258wrKrc-Lmw.jpg.c6f1da651d93abedb29ea18978ba9d40.jpg

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, back on track.

After a couple of days in the "Purple Pond", I was left with this.  We had a few cool days here, and I think being cool outside (and in the garage) kept the cleaner from doing its stuff.  But not to fear ...

2023-02-03-13-11-47-298_orig.jpeg

91% isopropyl alcohol, and elbow grease, I had better results (And yes, practice safety - wear gloves, don't breath the isopropyl alcohol vapors, etc., etc.!)

I still had to do some light sanding and scrape out the panel lines again.

2023-02-09-11-59-45-434_orig.jpeg

First coat of primer, flowed by a light sand.  I need to do one final coat of primer and then I think I can paint again.  But it's raining like crazy today.

2023-02-11-22-19-44-501_orig.jpeg

So I had this self-imposed deadline of January 1st.  hahahaha

I got some paint on the car again, and a first coat of clear.   Progress!

2023-02-14-09-43-15-857_orig.jpeg

Quick mock up ...

2023-02-14-21-44-32-755_orig.jpeg

2023-02-14-21-45-13-115_orig.jpeg

I got a second coat of clear on it late yesterday.  Now to polish - hopefully without any new disaster. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...