Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar E-Type 1962 Le Mans

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update on what little work I have done in the last 2 weeks due to an unscheduled "medical break"

Always early in a build I want to deal with the chassis-body relationship and set wheelbase, track and ride height.

A chassis mock up and measurements, I will want to drop the ride height by about 2-2,5 mm in the rear and maybe 1-1.5 at the front. (pic with kit wheels)

Using 2 mm rods for interaction between chassis axles and the substituted wheels, with slight repositioning to tweak ride height.

A small but effective change in my opinion.

Jag wip8.jpg

Jag wip9.jpg

Jag wip10.jpg

Jag wip11.jpg

Jag wip12.jpg

• Like 3

More about how I want the car to look than firm knowledge but yes I think the ride height on the kit is on the high side and with some lean not present on production cars or on my race car ref pictures. 11 mm rocker to ground in the rear equates to 10.5 inches. I aimed to bring the top of the rear wheel level to the fender opening and worked out the front to achieve a flat stance. Looking for the model to look a bit like this:

Jaguar 1962 LeMans ref5.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, absmiami said:

Ground clearance for production E couldn’thave been more than 8 inches - probably  less - interesting - not surprised - bet you that the Heller kit builds with a more accurate stance …

Just curious Andy, I've never seen the Heller kit, is it better than the Revell? I went with Revell thinking that new tooling would be better than old...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235084453-revell-and-heller-e-types-comparison/

the English gent posting his build of the 1968 Sebring MGC has an older posting in britmodeller that answers  these questions rather well ...

I  built the  Heller E drop top in modified form years ago [in the previous century] to make the Sayer designed lightweight coupe - CUT 7 - 

the Heller kit really does hold up well - but the Revell kit - I've got the roadster in the box - looks good - go for it 

by the way - both kit engines are OK - but not as good as the XK engine in the Tamiya Mark II kit  -  so there's that ...

• Thanks 2

Pierre, I'm glad I'm getting in fairly early on this wip. This is really going to be great. That blue is very deep and stunning.  Curious it's not Green? I wonder what the story is behind that. Looking forward to more progress on this one.

I will definitely be following this build.  The depth  of knowledge and attention to detail displayed by the various participants in the discussion of the build just blows me away.  What a treat for a novice such as myself to watch and listen to such master craftsmen at work!  I have this kit in my stash and expect my generally out of the box build may well be improved by what I learn here.

1 hour ago, Andrew McD said:

I will definitely be following this build.  The depth  of knowledge and attention to detail displayed by the various participants in the discussion of the build just blows me away.  What a treat for a novice such as myself to watch and listen to such master craftsmen at work!  I have this kit in my stash and expect my generally out of the box build may well be improved by what I learn here.

Thank you Andrew. I do w.i.p. for some of my builds because it offers me the possibility to throw questions to other participants to help me with information or build tips. A lot of helpful craftsmen on the forum help me improve my builds.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:20 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you Andrew. I do w.i.p. for some of my builds because it offers me the possibility to throw questions to other participants to help me with information or build tips. A lot of helpful craftsmen on the forum help me improve my builds.

Love this build! Learning also

Starting work on the body. the race ace car body is not much different than stock but first I want to make changes enable bonding the front and rear lower clips before body prep and paint so that seam (picture 1) can be dealt with. These seams would be very visible on a bumper less car.

On the rear side it basically involves separating the lower body element from the chassis pan. After some experimenting on how the chassis and interior could slide into the rear body portion I just chose my path. Done.

Jag wip13.jpg

Jag wip14.jpg

Jag wip15.jpg

Jag wip16.jpg

The front side assembly sequence requires to assemble the bonnet structure & headlamp assembly to the bonnet and then glue in the lower front body piece. I pre-assembled the structure but gave it some relief to allow sliding it into a glued together upper & lower bonnet assembly.

Taking the opportunity to use that structure to attach a fabricated inlet grille. I hate that grille but it was on the race car. I used the same method and materials used for the Corvette grille (picture 1). I'll try to make it look a bit thinner with paint effects.

Jag wip17.jpg

Jag wip18.jpg

Jag wip19.jpg

Jag wip20.jpg

Jag wip21.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent job making a precise pattern to get a precise looking grille. No one will think that grille is not oob. What color were you thinking to make it?

Not sure yet. Maybe a mix of silver & black or silver with a dark wash. The grill has to be there to reflect the car I am modeling but I want to make it low key.