Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar E-Type 1962 Le Mans

14 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

It took time and experimenting to develop a system that works, starting with surface prep all the way to clear coat, but to answer your specific question I would say yes, the retarder is the secret sauce to achieve a smooth brushed on clear coat.

I will second that assessment. the retarder allows the clear to lose the ridges caused by the brush. Makes it act more like future does. But the percentage is very important, and Pierre has certainly figured that out.

16 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre, when do you plan on painting the headlight bezels? Should you do that before any polishing that you might do?

Actually the race car did not have the chrome bezels, just the lexan covers fixed with screws. The way the kit is designed is cover into bezel into body. Without the bezels the covers are too small to fit into the headlamp openings. What I should have done is making a lip into the opening but I felt it would be beyond my ability with these compound curves. So I chose to de-chrome the bezels and integrate them to the body. I should have sanded them down more to blend them into the body more. My bad...

13 hours ago, Randy D said:

Pierre,   Very impressive paint work my friend!!!

Those Webbers are looking mighty fine:)

Randy   

Thanks Randy. Happy with the paint but not with the carbs. The material Shapeways uses for printing these is unworkable...grainy and brittle.

Anyhow, I decided to make the best of them as I declared this build a "sweat and spares" project. No fancy stuff here.

I just finished the engine

Jag wip73.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Okay , I'm missing my fix of great building to watch. I hope you haven't finished it already and put it in the finished forum.

Still a long way to go sir. I still need to do all the exterior glass with that delicate edge painting, plus all the exterior trim bits and all of the interior with race hardware mods. For now I have completed decals and Future seal coat. I made a mess of the nose number. The white round decal would not conform to the hood bump so I removed it but a part got stuck and was impossible to remove. So I decided to cover it with one from a Gofer sheet and disaster struck again, same problem... so anyway I fixed it as best as I could. Looks ok in pictures but it's bumpy. Bummer...

Jag wip78.jpg

Jag wip79.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 1