Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who made a Studebaker Lark

JoHan did do some Larks, the convert pictured above is not real hard to locate.  The Premier ones shown are very rare, I purchased a convert & sedan many years ago at a toy show in Columbus & have never seen ether anywhere since.  MCW does produce resin 59-60 Lark’s a HT & Sedan.  There have been some other resin Studebakers over the years.

Jo-Han '62 Larks are closer to 1/23 scale than 1/25.  They're big, the built ones are large on the shelf compared to other compact cars of the day, or even the '53 Studebaker.  Remember the Lark is basically a reskinned '53 sedan (shorter wheelbase than the coupe).  Studebaker reworked the sedan into a compact because it was "too small" to be a full-size car by that point, and tacking extra length onto the front and rear sections wasn't getting them anywhere by then.

I'm not sure about the size of the Jo-Han '59/'60 Lark promos (not sure if there was a '61).  There was no Jo-Han Lark kit prior to the '62, and those promos were all molded in that warping/shrinking acetate plastic.  

The Premier Lark (the early one, anyway) is somewhere between 1/25 and 1/32 scale, closer to 1/25 but still small.  I'm not sure about their '62 as I haven't got one of those.

The Hawk '62s are 1/32 scale, and pretty decent as I recall.

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Amt '53 Stude or Avanti would be suitable chassis donors...

The Avanti was actually built on the Lark convertible chassis because it was stiffened by an additional x-brace. That should be your best choice for a Lark project.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thatz4u said:

My 63 Johan Lark...wheels & tires from 1/25th kit, the AMT53 Stude chassis was a bit short , didn't have an AMT Avanti to check...

63lark1.jpg

63lark2.jpg

The 53 Stude chassis being short shows just how out of scale the Johan Lark is. In the real world the 53 has 120.5 inch wheelbase while the Lark/Avanti wheelbase was 108". That chassis SHOULD have been way long!