Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan Sox n Martin Superbird

Hmann68

11 hours ago, Bainford said:

Nice build. As mentioned above, I too think Superbirds and Daytonas make odd looking drag cars. Still very cool, though. You did a nice job on this classic kit. Good job on saving the decals, some of those JoHan decals don't age well. Your masked paint lines are nice and crisp. Well done.

6 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Looks great. Can't go wrong with Sox and Martin. I have a couple of these kits in my stash, just need time to get around to them.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! Fun car overall. Paint base with flat white, use Tamiya tape, then clear after it all, tried and true process. Yes, sox n Martin never gets old! 👍

Nice.
Sox & Martin had at least two Superbirds, one is the one you have relicated wich ran in Super Stock E and the other one ran in C Modified Production, I believe they were two different cars as one didn't have a vinyl top and the other had it.
One thing is a bit confusing, Ronnies name was on the car allthough he didn't drive it in competition, it was driven by another S & M employee named Joe Fisher.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:36 AM, Force said:

Nice.
Sox & Martin had at least two Superbirds, one is the one you have relicated wich ran in Super Stock E and the other one ran in C Modified Production, I believe they were two different cars as one didn't have a vinyl top and the other had it.
One thing is a bit confusing, Ronnies name was on the car allthough he didn't drive it in competition, it was driven by another S & M employee named Joe Fisher.

Thanks, yes to be honest I’m not that knowledgeable about these super birds of theirs, seems to be a lot more info available on their more famous cars👍

12 hours ago, Mopar2 said:

Sweet clean build..I use to watch Sox and Martin drag race when I was a kid.

10 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

That turned out very nice. Great job on the paint. It might be too late now but the Keystone Klassics have black coloring around all the holes.

Keystone Klassic.jpg

Thanks guys..you’re lucky that you got to see them! The wheels looked more like Cragars to me instead of the proper Keystones that it should have, so I left them alone. Who knows lol 😊

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2024 at 9:19 PM, Bill Kloss said:

Nice build! What red and blue paints did you use?

On 3/13/2024 at 6:45 PM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very nice job on a unique hot rod. Never got to see that one run. Nice job.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:04 AM, Tony Coomer said:

Such a clean and nicely done build. Love those birds…

Thanks so much guys! Paints used are Tamiya ts-26 pure white, ts-8 Italian red, and ts-15 blue. The blue is a bit too dark, and looks even darker in these pics, but looks ok in person. 👍👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 1:41 PM, slusher said:

Absolutely stunning!

12 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

I thought that I had previously commented on this build. I didn't, but I HAVE to! Super nice build. Extremely clean and well executed! Hope to see more.

WF

Thanks guys! It was fun to do, I’ve always liked the JoHan kits even as simplistic as they are. I need to build the other one that he gave me for building this one for him. It really does look cool and different in person👍👍

• 2 weeks later...