Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Forty Coupe in need of my love

customline

1 hour ago, Slotto said:

Cool shocks

A little paint will go a long way, Steve. I have kit shocks in the junk box that don't look this good. 

The tank on the left is the AMT and it is actually more accurate than the Revell on the right. I drilled a hole in the approximate location to add a plug. I engineered a plug 🥴 from styrene and inserted. I feel much better now. Ive gotta wonder how you miss a drain plug on an otherwise totally featureless gas tank when trying to create a mold for one.

The old woman left and I detail painted the Keystones. I still need to do the cleanup on them. That's when the profanity happens .  More on that later.

IMG_3800.jpg.93cf98e052bb288069e52770f5773320.jpgIMG_3801.jpg.eae84d36169ad4659580eda687d4ba2f.jpgIMG_3802.jpg.ed09c61a90cdcc519c0cc8bfc610fdcf.jpg

2 hours ago, David G. said:

The shocks look great but the wheels came out even better.

David G.

Thanks, David, I'm old school about mags. I don't like a lot of the current crop of custom wheels out there today. I like the '60s/'70s look; Americans, especially. Then Cragar SS and Keystones. These Keystones pictured are not the best I've seen but still recognizable as such. They're not as crisp as some Revell examples.  Notice the block style K in the center cap. 🥴 ...they tried. I can live with it. 

15 hours ago, David G. said:

Great stance!

David G.

Thanks, David,  I got it as low as I possibly could in front. Gotta have that bad-boy attitude. I'm running into steering box trouble now. AMT figured I wouldn't need one and there's no room with the headers I'm using. Big re-do coming. 

14 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Everything is looking good, Jim! Those keystones look better than most. Good luck with the re-paint! 😎👍

Gotta prime it all soon. Just got 2 fresh bottles of Testor's semi-gloss black for the color(stop snickering - it's what I'm comfortable with 🤓).  Not sure about firewall color but it will be gold, like the inspiration car, 1108sr-01-1940-ford-deluxe-coupe-three-quarters-view.jpg.031c0855431ae949f34f144858fbfd40.jpgor white.....but no front bumper 🤨. Thanks for checking in, JR & Dave.

BTW, this car pictured is a very sweet ride. I am not building a model of it. I don't think I could with this mess of a kit. It's just the "the look" I'm after.

Edited by customline
  • Like 1

Like the flat black body color. Can't tell you how many cars I had as a young man and could only afford a few cans of Krylon Flat Black spray cans. Use whatever trim color you like for the firewall and the carb throats along with anything else that looks good too you. 

Here's the latest debacle,  Dave.  I just had to put in a steering box and connected to the rest of it. Still needs tweaking and frame repairs 😕. Paint hides a lot...... If this was a 1:1, the steering box would probably seize from the heat conducted from the header against it half way down the quarter mile. Glad I'm not driving this death-trap 🙄.

Don't have those lovely snorkels, unfortunately.  Trips with helmets is what I got.

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

Edited by customline
Added text

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice work on the steering linkages.

David G.

Thanks,Dave, I got the frame patched up last night and hope to get it and some other stuff painted. The green pollen is flying here in southeastern VA and it has been very windy, making painting impossible.  But today seems quiet enough to do some rattle can priming. This project has been a challenge due to the shortcomings of the kit and the condition of it. I tend to gravitate to the pre-war cars and cars I am familiar with from my 1:1 life.  In my youth I  built a 1:1 '39 Plymouth P7 coupe. Body off frame, '57 Chevy rear end, 330 Olds power. This model project feels so much like that it's spooky. It's almost like re-living it. The same problems with steering and headers. Long story. Anyway, thanks for hanging, David. Hoping for an "in primer" mock-up late today.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

It looks good in primer.

David G.

Everything looks good in primer, David 😉. Especially fresh, glowing, red oxide primer 🤩. The trick, now, is to get a good finish with satin black. My luck with rattle cans is mixed. My plan was to shoot Testor's with my Wren. I'm reconsidering. I am going to try Tamiya rattle can. I want an even finish with no post-paint work. I'm also thinking spraying flat black and following with satin or semi-gloss clear for a slightly shinier finish. The firewall is something I need to think about as far as how to go about the masking and which to paint first.  My (current) plan for the chassis/floor bottom finish is a raw, rusty unrestored look but with refinished drive train components - the hot rod is never finished. (A model of a hot rod is never finished in this house ☺️) Thanks for looking!

Incidentally,  while doing the mock-ups I noticed something that surprised me; the headlight bezels from AMT are much better than the Revell units. The parking light detail is sharp on the AMT bezels and pretty soft on the Revells. 🤔   Who knew?

Edited by customline
Added text

8 minutes ago, Slotto said:

Very nice. I prefer the wide grille apposed to the narrow one

Yup. Agreed. I like the '39 the best ( that's a kit I need) . The grille, headlights, the teardrop tail lights- all of it.  I believe the only way to get a '39 is the AMT tudor kit. The Revell '40 Standard is a close second. The beloved '40 Deluxe is king though. It just is. But I'm with you on the grille, Steve. It flows a lot better with the aero styling (which, IMHO, looks a lot better without bumpers 😏). This '40 Deluxe will get the chevron tail lights and the custom rear bumper for the sake of a license plate location.  That will keep the trunk lid a little smoother.

Last night I opened a 3lb. can of Kirkland dark roast decaf (Amazon). The foil seal pictured below will provide a future (or maybe present) build some really nice door panels and possibly seat upholstery. I almost chucked it. 💩

The interior at the bottom is the "inspiration " car. I don't think I will do that but I just want to show what a sweet thing that '40 is.

IMG_3865.jpg.dd2f7133c7648042d39949df983eae4e.jpgIMG_3863.thumb.jpg.db1d0ffad433dc0b0647b100fe992848.jpg1108sr-06-1940-ford-deluxe-coupe-interior.jpg.e01afe910e40499f7973afd500d78cb4.jpg

• Like 1

A thought on the rear bumper. Consider cutting the Nerf Bar portion of the custom bumper off and graft the license plate surround into the stock rear bumper. Have used these license plate surrounds in the past and they look good with the slim stock bumpers and even some later model cars as well. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

A thought on the rear bumper. Consider cutting the Nerf Bar portion of the custom bumper off and graft the license plate surround into the stock rear bumper. Have used these license plate surrounds in the past and they look good with the slim stock bumpers and even some later model cars as well. 

Hmmmm......that's good Intel, Dave. I will do a quick study on that. It would be cleaner, for sure. How come I didn't see it? (Don't answer that).

27 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

It's looking good Jim. Nice work.

Thanks, James (Jim?). I'm working on getting a rolling (not really rolling, per se) chassis finalized and then jump on the interior which will be unremarkable and spartan but sporting a roll bar and shoulder harness. Maybe a pair of buckets out of an old Impala. 🤔 

Edited by customline
Editing....duh

• 2 months later...