Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheels roll or not roll?

I had one roll off a table when I was a kid so ever since then I glue the wheels. Entered a contest at a hobby shop sometime after that and the owner of the shop pointed out my wheels don't roll so I was marked down for that.

• Like 1

When I was writing and reviewing diecast for various magazines, some companies would gear the rear end so that when you turned the rear wheels, the driveshaft turned, as well.  It was a nice touch, granted...but if you wanted to see the drive shaft turn, you had to pick the car up and turn it over.  As everyone knows, the more you handle a car, the more likely something is bound to break.

On top of which, oils on the hand (or other such chemicals say if you are a smoker) get on the paint which then requires a quick buff before you put it back.  Again, more chance of something breaking (who hasn't lost trim, BMF or Photo-etched parts buffing a diecast and/or model?).

Driveshafts that turn also added additional costs to the diecast.  With some of the diecast in the $150+ price point, the added engineering just wasn't worth it, in my opinion.

As for models...everything I have built since I got back into the hobby has been custom or hot rod and used wider tires.  So, it necessitated removing the mounting points of pins/axles from the wheels to get them to fit believably in the wheel wells with Disc Brakes attached.  So a little dot of JB Weld has been my friend to permanently mount in one position.

I haven't flat spotted the tires yet (just never gave it THAT much thought) but I may give it a go on my next build.

Edited by BDSchindler
  • Like 1

Back when I entered contests', one I entered required wheels to roll. I spent my time building a model to be as realistic as possible, only to have one of the judges hit it with my trophy, because the wheels rolled, my model ending up in pieces, because said model could not be shown in advertising, I was disqualified. Last contest I ever entered. Also the last time the wheels on my models no longer roll!

• Like 1

I have entered quite a few contests now, and I have never come across a contest where they penalize you for wheels that don't roll. And honestly if I ever found out I was penalized for that I would raise a big stink and make sure I get as many people as possible to complain as well.

In fact I am in a model car club with several national award winners and I can't think of a single person that does not glue their wheels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I have entered quite a few contests now, and I have never come across a contest where they penalize you for wheels that don't roll. And honestly if I ever found out I was penalized for that I would raise a big stink and make sure I get as many people as possible to complain as well.

In fact I am in a model car club with several national award winners and I can't think of a single person that does not glue their wheels.

I’ve never seen that either.

It would make absolutely no sense to make requirements such as that, unless it was some requirement for a box stock category or something.

It would be like requiring all models have opening doors, or functional hood hinges.

Stupid.

Steve

• Like 2