Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy cow! Eurosoft glazing putty got EXPENSIVE!

It’s been several years since I bought any. I took down my model workbench when my two brothers needed a place to stay and save money. Anyway- I have a couple of projects underway so I went to local store to order some Evercoat Eurosoft putty. It was $105 for a 20oz can. I do like to buy local, but in this case I got online and found the prices all over the place. Summit Racing has it for $79.99. Other places have it for a few dollars less, but it’s places I have never heard of. 

I think that I should only open it when I have several projects that need it, then seal the can in a Seal-a-Meal bag. 

It's great stuff, but IMHO it's way overkill for model projects because of the price and the relatively huge amount of the stuff left over...usually...unless you work in a body shop and can get it free from almost empty containers.

Again IMHO, Bondo 801 "professional" catalyzed glazing putty works just dandy, and comes in modeler-friendly 3 ounce packaging for about $15, including a tube of color-change catalyst.

3M Bondo 801 Professional Glazing and Spot Putty (3.0 oz.) - Walmart.com

It's now my usual go-to for heavy sculptural fills on models...though not in the big ol' package shown here.

DEC282014Lakester016_zpsb153fd02.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 3/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, LDO said:

I think that I should only open it when I have several projects that need it, then seal the can in a Seal-a-Meal bag.

If you mean one of those Ziploc bags, they might not work.   they are not even truly hermetically sealed, and some solvents can permiate through the plastic those bags are made of.  Better would be an empty metal paint can, or a pickle jar.

I haven't bought a tube in about 5 years, but Dolphin Glaze (weird name, I know) is just as good as evercoat, and comes in a better container for hobby use. Back then it was about $25 including shipping on eBay. It's probably 3 times as large as the tube of Bondo pictured above, and is a true 2 part automotive grade filler. But the tube allows you to use small amounts at a time and doesn't expose the rest of the contents to air like the evercoat products do, which keeps it viable for much longer. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I haven't bought a tube in about 5 years, but Dolphin Glaze (weird name, I know) is just as good as evercoat, and comes in a better container for hobby use...

Yup, it's a very fine grained product too, great for models.

As it's quite thin, to be "self leveling", thick fills for heavy custom work may require multiple applications.

The 'pouch' it comes in is, I believe, 'aluminized' Mylar, and seems to be impervious to air, solvent evaporation, and allows small amounts to be dispensed easily...and the contents can be kneaded easily too.

EDIT: The 440 ml (about 15 fluid ounces) 'pouch' is currently about $30 at parts stores.

3 ounces of the Bondo 801 catalyzed product, in the metal tube, is roughly $15.

Dolphin Glaze Filler Upol

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

The Dolphin Glaze I have is the first one pictured which I don't believe is self leveling. It is thick and spreadable while still maintaining it's shape, about the consistency of peanut butter. Because it doesn't shrink it usually only takes one application followed by an application of Tamiya grey to fill any minor imperfections caused by sanding, unless it is some heavy customizing.

Thanks for researching the current price, glad it's still affordable.