Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 275P #23, for the 1964 Sebring 12 Hour community build

On 11/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, Gramps46 said:

Interior panels looking good.

Thank you, sir. Your reference photos were most helpful.

During the process, I discovered the door shut-lines engraved in the body by the Monogram tooling folk aren't exactly symmetrical, and I'll have to make an adjustment to the tub so the door openings line up correctly with the rear shut-lines.

There are a few other minor deviations in the body shell that I won't bother to correct on this build but probably will if I do the planned full-detail build in the future.  :D

With the door openings in the tub pretty much the way I want 'em, I was able to make cardstock templates for the inner door shells.

DSCN8570.JPG.53fd6247f8d6d3d564e57271d1a91f4b.JPG

I tried a Tamiya color on the RH seat, more to see how the gloo-smear repairs would look than anything else. I'm satisfied with the seat repairs and mods, but the color needs to be a little more purple. May just go with this though. We'll see. Need to kill the gloss. Just noticed the seat side bolsters are fatter on the real car. Maybe I'll address it, maybe not.

DSCN8571.JPG.9616a72dc0d52faecf2a4f7afa3296ce.JPG

Inner door shell made from .010" sheet stock, framed on the back face with rectangular stock...allowing me to round the edges to approximate the look of the real ones.

DSCN8576.JPG.b10c8a97c3b30f1710c52e5042c1c749.JPG

Needs a little more tweaking, but compares pretty well with the reference shot.

990505853_20191228InteriorDoor(1).jpg.f0e4bbccdb48081b1d281dc61e324a5a.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

Really enjoying watching this build come together, I have the Monogram 1/32 slotcar and static models of it. May have to attempt some of your fixes on the 1/32 someday. One thing that has been bugging me is the different sizes of seats in this car, what is the reasoning behind that?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

One thing that has been bugging me is the different sizes of seats in this car, what is the reasoning behind that?

It had to do with the FIA rules requiring things like a spare tire, opening doors, and a passenger seat. (In some classes and periods, vacant space capable of accommodating a specific volume of luggage was required to compete under the "sports car" definition; see the GT40 thread balow) As the seat wasn't ever used, and IF the rules didn't specify it had to be the same size as the driver's, it could be reduced in size and weight.

Weight saving is always an issue with race cars, as evidenced by some of the crazy hole drilling on smallish parts where the weight reduction is negligible...but little things add up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Not much new other than a fresh coat of Duplicolor sandable red oxide primer for continued blocking. Getting close to paint.

I still maintain that poseable steering is one of the most impactful upgrades you can make to any model car.

Seen here with her build-sister Gunze Ferrari 250GTO with Pontiac GTO power.

Geez. Lookit all that trash I didn't dust off.  :huh:

DSCN8549.JPG.475bf558b824086f5f6f18c2eaf03539.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 11/19/2023 at 2:46 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Looking really good. The possible steering definitely adds a lot to it.

I'm no expert but the Gunze GTO body really looks the part.

Thanks, and yes, I like the look of the Gunze interpretation, at least after the rear wheel arches are corrected.

It's wider than several others, I suspect not-to-scale, but that makes it a better candidate for swapping in American guts and fatter tires.

I also like the overall look better than an exact-scale rendition. The real car looks somewhat squashed forward of the windshield to me, and as the backstory for this thing is that it was heavily wrecked and rebuilt before it would have been an astronomically valuable "objet d'art", I can live with it.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, Gramps46 said:

X2 on poseable steering.  Rich Cheronsky is the real devotee and master of the art.  

Yes, I've found Mr. Chernosky's work inspiring on several occasions.   :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wishing you the best for the New Year Bill, Been following your 275 #23 build with great interest. Yours mods to what is a slot car and turning it into a replica is your amazing talent. I’m a fan of the early Monogram and AMT static slot cars, having completed the Scarab and WIP of the Mecom Hussein. Thanks for all the details and photos. Be seeing you on the grid in March!

Cheers Misha

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 5:22 PM, Misha said:

Wishing you the best for the New Year Bill, Been following your 275 #23 build with great interest...Thanks for all the details and photos. Be seeing you on the grid in March!

Cheers Misha

Thanks for your interest and comments, and best New Year wishes to you too, sir.

I'd hoped to get some extended bench time over the Christmas break, but a bout with some flu-like malady has left me with zero interest since Christmas day...though I think I might get a few minutes in today.   :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

• 1 month later...