Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review of Revell's new chrome spray paint

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Why in Tarnation is there such a rush to Clearcoat your Chrome?

Clear Coats yellow, and dull, after time. Too Many coats of finish begin to Blur and Obscure.

17 Layers might be fine for real 1 to 1 cars , but I think that many of today's Modelers have an obsession with finishes that might be  a bit obsessive.

Spray, your chrome of choice, install it, and be done. 

Why do we insist on clear coating chrome?  Easy.  Fingerprints stain and dull every single chrome paint out there. If you could clearcoat the chrome and not dull it you would have a finish that does not absorb fingerprints. And you would have a finish you could polish to a high gloss finish.

Not all clearcoats yellow and dull with time. And if they do dull, you can polish them again.  Not the case with those chrome paints.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Not SMS hyperchrome or super silver

Point of information.

Is this what you're referring to by "Super Silver?" This was the closest thing I could find doing a search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225042115327?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338765313&toolid=20006&customid=c9a71bc918180a0df165c2b17f343e3f

Charlie Larkin

The debate about clear coating chrome.

Any oil based clear will yellow after a time, but not so sure about acrylics. Trying to seal chromes similar to Alclad have ended in disaster for me so I do not use them any more.

My C1 polishing powder applied to gloss black and buffed to a shine is the most durable chrome finish with regard to handling that I have used so far without a seal applied.

11 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Prove your claim. Show me the bottle of your SMS chrome you have tested.

I have used Rustoleum chrome spray paint, Alclad, Molotow, and Green Stuff World. SMS worked best for me.  It is more resistant to absorbing fingerprints than any other chrome paint I have used, but it still absorbs fingerprints, and dulls if you touch it too much..

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The debate about clear coating chrome.

Any oil based clear will yellow after a time, but not so sure about acrylics. Trying to seal chromes similar to Alclad have ended in disaster for me so I do not use them any more.

My C1 polishing powder applied to gloss black and buffed to a shine is the most durable chrome finish with regard to handling that I have used so far without a seal applied.

Tell me more about this C1 polishing powder.

15 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Point of information.

Is this what you're referring to by "Super Silver?" This was the closest thing I could find doing a search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225042115327?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338765313&toolid=20006&customid=c9a71bc918180a0df165c2b17f343e3f

Charlie Larkin

No. I'm refer to SMS paints super silver. It has been somewhat superseded by their hyperchrome range, but is still good for a "stainless steel" look for example. Their hyperchrome is a much more reflective "chrome" paint, and can be handled lots without damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

No.  SMS Hyperchrome can not be handled lots without damage.

It stands up to being touched better than any other chrome paint I have used, but you still shouldn't touch it. It absorbs fingerprints just like any other chrome paint.

Certainly can be handled lots  without damage. Check out this engine bay, done with SMS hyperchome and super silver. As this engine bay has been scratch built, it had lots of handling, even after all the pre fit tests. A nightmare actually to get all the pipes lined up. 

The trick is to apply over wet black enamel. This makes it very tough and durable. 

316254491_10160433542535429_5793089108656077512_n.jpg

316282069_10160433545190429_3698152073897626994_n.jpg

316546219_10160433545530429_4549756279757623272_n.jpg

Edited by Michael jones
  • Like 3

Chad.   Look up C1 Models website. It is a UK based company where the product will be expained. Also look in the thread in this forum 'Let's see some scratch built things. The bodywork on my Napier Railton in there was done with it.

Besides the polishing powder C1 has a very nice range of resin trsnskits. The James Bond Spectre Land Rover transkits for the Revell kit look quite tasty!

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Chad.   Look up C1 Models website. It is a UK based company where the product will be expained. Also look in the thread in this forum 'Let's see some scratch built things. The bodywork on my Napier Railton in there was done with it.

Besides the polishing powder C1 has a very nice range of resin trsnskits. The James Bond Spectre Land Rover transkits for the Revell kit look quite tasty!

The C1 site shows "that item is not available" when you try to add to cart. Several online shops show the product as discontinued. Maybe pandemic related?

It's a shame if it's no longer available. I kept telling myself to order it, but I never did.

Edited by stinkybritches
more words

That's a pity that the C1 polishing powder is discontinued as it really is good stuff.

It was sold in a generous sized tub so mine will last for ages stlll. Perhaps they were simply not selling enough of it to keep it in production. It came in a box with a lint mask, latex gloves, little swab applicators and polishing pads.

I don't know if the American product S&I Aluminium polishing powder is still available or not that is used in a similar fashion.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, Michael jones said:

Certainly can be handled lots  without damage. Check out this engine bay, done with SMS hyperchome and super silver. As this engine bay has been scratch built, it had lots of handling, even after all the pre fit tests. A nightmare actually to get all the pipes lined up. 

The trick is to apply over wet black enamel. This makes it very tough and durable. 

Impressive overall paintwork.

So, to make sure I understand....apply gloss black enamel....chrome paint immediately after while still wet/tacky? I could see if the two more or less fuse, that would become a pretty tough coating.

Curious, have you tried drying this combination in a dehydrator? I ask because Testors gloss black is well known to take an eternity to dry, and in some cases, doesn't quite seem to.

That said, knowing this, I'd probably stick with Humbrol or Revell enamel, as those do actually dry.

Charlie Larkin

On 5/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, Michael jones said:

Never seen this style paint job on a car, but you did great my guy. Hats 🎩 off to ya. 

2 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

So, to make sure I understand....apply gloss black enamel....chrome paint immediately after while still wet/tacky? I could see if the two more or less fuse, that would become a pretty tough coating.

Curious, have you tried drying this combination in a dehydrator? I ask because Testors gloss black is well known to take an eternity to dry, and in some cases, doesn't quite seem to.

That said, knowing this, I'd probably stick with Humbrol or Revell enamel, as those do actually dry.

Charlie Larkin

I use Alclad black gloss base the one that a lot of people think is a primer lol. I dry it in the dehydrator @ 110f. But I’ve seen folks mention it before where you spray the chrome few mins after the gloss black base instead of waiting for the black base to fully cure, and then spraying the chrome on top. It’s a technique wet on wet or something like that I’ve read about some painters do with top coat and clear coat. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Charlie Larkin

I have not used a dehydrator. I just did a couple of wet coats of black enamel, then within 10 mins, then applied a mist coat of sms hyperchrome. Yes, don't touch for a few days or more!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:29 AM, stinkybritches said:

The C1 site shows "that item is not available" when you try to add to cart. Several online shops show the product as discontinued. Maybe pandemic related?

It's a shame if it's no longer available. I kept telling myself to order it, but I never did.

A couple of things about this. Online shops aren't the best places to get this information.

Pandemic-shmandemic. Not everything revolves around or, is/was affected by, this topic.

Lastly, did anyone even think of contacting Chris Hales directly to verify this? I did. Here's his reply from earlier this afternoon:

It's available.

I just checked the website and I'm getting an error too - "unable to add item to cart".

It's the first time I've been made aware.

I can't see what the fault is, I'll look into it and try and resolve. Keep checking back.

Chris

• Like 1