Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review of Revell's new chrome spray paint

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Lastly, did anyone even think of contacting Chris Hales directly to verify this? I did. Here's his reply from earlier this afternoon:

OMG !!! OMG !!!  You've violated the primary tenet of using the internet.

What you're SUPPOSED to do, Mr. Smartypants, is mindlessly rebleat whatever anyone else says, and NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH FOR YOURSELF !!!

OMG !!! OMG !!! OMG !!!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

A couple of things about this. Online shops aren't the best places to get this information.

Pandemic-shmandemic. Not everything revolves around or, is/was affected by, this topic.

Lastly, did anyone even think of contacting Chris Hales directly to verify this? I did. Here's his reply from earlier this afternoon:

It's not my job to keep someone else's company/website operating properly. 

40 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

It's not my job to keep someone else's company/website operating properly. 

Oh well, that's an interesting attitude.  This is likely a 1-man operation.  If he is unaware there is a problem on the website, how can he fix it?  Is he supposed to go and browse his website ever day looking for problems?   I guess this "not my problem"  attitude is widespread nowadays.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, peteski said:

Oh well, that's an interesting attitude.  This is likely a 1-man operation.  If he is unaware there is a problem on the website, how can he fix it?  Is he supposed to go and browse his website ever day looking for problems?   I guess this "not my problem"  attitude is widespread nowadays.

Yes, it is his responsibility, and his alone, to make sure everything is running properly. It's his business. Whatever it takes to keep it running is what he has to do. If it means he has to click on everything every day, then he has to click on everything every day.

There was nothing to indicate a problem with the website, so why would I contact him to ask if the unavailable product was actually available? None of the other stuff came up as "not available". The only reason I checked other sites is because I had been looking at this product for a while and finally decided to get some.

The great thing about a want, versus a need, is that you can shrug your shoulders and walk away having lost nothing.

to be fair, my thoughts to the chrome i wrote in another tread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/181804-revell-spray-chrome-test/

it is very easy to handle and imo it doesnt matter what base color the plastic has. i tried it on yellow, turquoise, grey, black, "old chrome" to rechrome and so far. 

i'm very pleased, that it is a spraycan for a quick use and a great result.

i also tried different clearcoats to grab it without dulling out, but all clearcoat took the chromlook and the result was silver till grey. the only working layer was pledge - but i will test that again to be sure, the handling or grabbing has no effects on the shine.

13 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Yes, it is his responsibility, and his alone, to make sure everything is running properly. It's his business. Whatever it takes to keep it running is what he has to do. If it means he has to click on everything every day, then he has to click on everything every day.

There was nothing to indicate a problem with the website, so why would I contact him to ask if the unavailable product was actually available? None of the other stuff came up as "not available". The only reason I checked other sites is because I had been looking at this product for a while and finally decided to get some.

The great thing about a want, versus a need, is that you can shrug your shoulders and walk away having lost nothing.

Update as of 9:30 A.M.:

Problem sorted out. Fixed.

Now, you can get some.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I seem to be obsessed with MCW's hardener for enamels, I wondered if you could add some of that to decanted Revell chrome paint (also enamel, I believe) and end up with a more durable finish.  It doesn't seem to have any negative effects on MCW's enamel finishes, so maybe it wouldn't kill the reflectivity of the chrome paint.

Thoughts?

From what I could find, Revell's chrome spray paint is an acrylic. But based on other brands of acrylic, this could mean it is an acrylic and a lacquer.

From my understand though, I thought most chrome paints are actually some sort of ink.  I could be wrong. And I don't know if that means they are something different from paint completely.

Regardless. Revell chrome spray paint is far too expensive. And I have had great results with SMS Hyperchrome. So I won't even bother with that Revell stuff.

Revels chrome is acrylic lacquer. I got a can myself, but haven’t tried it yet. From everything I’ve seen of it looks like the real deal, and you have to apply it kinda heavy unlike how you do with Alclad etc. Probably going to decant mine so I don’t waste a ton of it, but closet I’ve seen to it almost as good is spazz Stix chrome(air brush) version. 

18 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

From my understand though, I thought most chrome paints are actually some sort of ink.  I could be wrong. And I don't know if that means they are something different from paint completely.

I don't think any of them are actually ink. Molotow is promoted as an ink, but it is really an alcohol based acrylic paint. The ink moniker is just marketing fluff. I don't think any of the competing products call their stuff 'ink'. It's all paint of various make-up.

5 hours ago, Bainford said:

I don't think any of them are actually ink. Molotow is promoted as an ink, but it is really an alcohol based acrylic paint. The ink moniker is just marketing fluff. I don't think any of the competing products call their stuff 'ink'. It's all paint of various make-up.

And what exactly is a difference between ink and paint?  I tried to look it up once (on the Interwebs of course) and didn't find any explanation which would satisfy me.

Both consist of solvent (the liquid which evaporates), pigment (the colorant), and the binder (the clear stuff where the pigment is dispersed).  When the solvent evaporates (dries) the binder hardens up, creating a thin film on the painted surface.

Edited by peteski

9 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

That isn't saying much.

I tried several different chrome paints and Spaz Stix was not very good.

Spaz stix aerosol version is trash as is there black base. Spaz stix chrome airbrush version is great. So I’m not sure what to tell you or how to explain. 

2 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

By showing photos.

This is spaz stix on my first build that isn’t even finished. I have done spaz stix much better than this, but those don’t exist anymore. Next time I use it I’ll have better pics. 
IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.b518a555f69e5e88c77222704c775de7.jpegIMG_1313.thumb.jpeg.fa8425317eaabcbc97da41adc891d855.jpegIMG_1315.thumb.jpeg.64d8c9e5f0201c331f55ff1fe3b5de3c.jpeg 
This is of kustom service chrome 

IMG_1321.thumb.jpeg.13bf6dd71bd8f1b4d67e64b5a0711c27.jpegIMG_1322.thumb.jpeg.18f966f5ed41f0642cc16a662356813b.jpeg

Edited by Dpate

18 hours ago, peteski said:

And what exactly is a difference between ink and paint?  I tried to look it up once (on the Interwebs of course) and didn't find any explanation which would satisfy me.

Both consist of solvent (the liquid which evaporates), pigment (the colorant), and the binder (the clear stuff where the pigment is dispersed).  When the solvent evaporates (dries) the binder hardens up, creating a thin film on the painted surface.

Well Peter, by virtue your own statement, it can be concluded that it is all paint. That someone may choose to call it ink is irrelevant. 

However, when Molotow came out and many modelers were getting wrapped around the axel over the term 'ink' (the inference being that it is specifically NOT paint), I did some research. Like you I found much ambiguity, but I kept digging until I found the information I sought. I didn't bother to commit the specifics of the definitions to memory; I didn't need to. I only wanted the answer. If your curiosity runs deep enough, you can do the digging yourself. But, it doesn't matter how you slice it, or what definitions you chose to use, Molotow is very definitely an alcohol based acrylic paint. Take away that voodoo thing it does, and it is like many other acrylics used in the hobby. Tripping over the term 'ink' is pointless as it is simply a common marketing strategy, and has very little to do the with make-up of the product. Very many products in our lives employ similar deceptive marketing strategies, but; Future is not a polish, Dove is soap, SUVs are cars, etc. Silk screening 'ink' is also paint. Artists water colours, on the other hand, are actually inks, not paint.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you call it. You can call it ink, or paint, or shaving cream, or spaghetti sauce. The product doesn't know or care what you call it. Every type of paint and every brand paint is unique and has specific requirements on how to handle it. Molotow, or any of the chrome paints, are no different. Using the term 'ink' is a red herring, and by virtue of its constituents, (for those who care) is technically incorrect.

But there are a number of ways to define some things. Many definitions revolve around the use of the product; If you paint with it, it's paint. If you write/draw with it, it's ink. Even by this definition, for our purposes, it's paint.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dpate said:

This is spaz stix on my first build that isn’t even finished. I have done spaz stix much better than this, but those don’t exist anymore. Next time I use it I’ll have better pics. 
IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.b518a555f69e5e88c77222704c775de7.jpegIMG_1313.thumb.jpeg.fa8425317eaabcbc97da41adc891d855.jpegIMG_1315.thumb.jpeg.64d8c9e5f0201c331f55ff1fe3b5de3c.jpeg 
This is of kustom service chrome 

IMG_1321.thumb.jpeg.13bf6dd71bd8f1b4d67e64b5a0711c27.jpegIMG_1322.thumb.jpeg.18f966f5ed41f0642cc16a662356813b.jpeg

That turned out really well. Thank you for the photos.

I had bad luck with Spaz Stix, maybe because I used their backer.

The product that has worked best for me so car has been SMS Hyperchrome.  You can't handle it a lot, but you can handle it a little bit. And what is best is you actually buff it out with a dry cloth to get best results. I like this because I can handle it a bit to assemble it, then buff it out when I am doing handling it.

On this hot rodded Mercedes engine, all the chrome is SMS Hyperchrome. When applied per their instructions it comes out hazy. But you can lightly handle it to assemble things. Then you buff out the haze with a dry cloth.

IMG_1316.JPG

19 hours ago, peteski said:

It is just like the small difference between any similar products. I don't name the things, but if a company calls something an ink instead of a paint there has to be a reason for it. They don't just call it something else for no reason at all.

I mean by your logic paint is just paint. Enamels, acrylics, lacquers, they are all just paint. But good luck getting some of them not to react with others.