Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 MPC Dodge Coronet roof up Convertible

That rear window shape for this uptop is all kinds of wrong. Just take a look at photos of the real thing. The kit's own tulip panel is wrong, shaped to fit a coupe's compound rear window contour and not the convertible's. AMT masks it somewhat by including a top boot that covers the shape. This uptop just amplifies the shape issue. Good luck making any kind of sheet plastic fit that opening. 

To make a correct convertible uptop is going to take effort from someone, because it requires an all-new shape of the tulip panel between the decklid and the edge of the body where the convertible top resides. Maybe someone could fix the issue and resin cast a corrected body and offer a properly fitting uptop. A correct 3D file could be created so the uptop shape is proper and would have to include a 3D printed replacement tulip panel. 

I'll just wait for a coupe version of this kit. I understand why AMT cloned the original as-is, flaws and all. 

196362_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom
added photo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

That rear window shape for this uptop is all kinds of wrong. Just take a look at photos of the real thing. The kit's own tulip panel is wrong, shaped to fit a coupe's compound rear window contour and not the convertible's. AMT masks it somewhat by including a top boot that covers the shape. This uptop just amplifies the shape issue. Good luck making any kind of sheet plastic fit that opening. 

To make a correct convertible uptop is going to take effort from someone, because it requires an all-new shape of the tulip panel between the decklid and the edge of the body where the convertible top resides. Maybe someone could fix the issue and resin cast a corrected body and offer a properly fitting uptop. A correct 3D file could be created so the uptop shape is proper and would have to include a 3D printed replacement tulip panel. 

I'll just wait for a coupe version of this kit. I understand why AMT cloned the original as-is, flaws and all. 

196362_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

This is an easy fix ,what makes this easy is the roof is inside the body not outside ,sure it will need some work  ,I'm up for that !

22 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

196362_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Bob, is it only the tulip panel, or does decklid also differ in shape?

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

It looks like decklid was shared with the coupe as it has the concave shape seen on the HT. I haven't seen a Coronet CV up close lately but if/when I do I'll check it out; Google is good for overall shots but not aimed at detail-oriented modelers LOL. I'm just anxiously awaiting a HT variant of this kit which I have to think is coming at some point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I'm no 3D print expert but that price seems on the high side. 

It’s a little on the high side. I print models as a side business and I would probably sell these for $10 plus shipping. But if you are the only one in the game and the quality is up there I guess $25 isn’t terrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zaina said:

It’s a little on the high side. I print models as a side business and I would probably sell these for $10 plus shipping. But if you are the only one in the game and the quality is up there I guess $25 isn’t terrible. 

But the problem is that the uptop is misshapen (see ZoomZoom's comments above) so even if it was free, it still isn't a bargain. In addition to the rear of the piece being wrong, it appears the front doesn't meet up with the top of the windshield.

• Like 2

Below is a picture of my 68 Coronet 500 convertible. Sorry about the turbine bronze cop wheels, it's a temporary thing :) 

The 68-70 Mopar B-body convertibles share the windshield and top design with the 66-67 B-body convertibles. The 2 and 4 door body styles received a redesign the lowered the height of the windshield and side glass. This windshield height difference is very obvious if a convertible is parked next to a 2dr or 4dr.

The lines of the side glass are nearly straight lines across the top with a sharp angle on the qtr window, completely different than a 2dr (don't be distracted by the slight arc of the top material, it is original and has a little shrink)

chroped.jpg

Edited by Carmak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 6:37 AM, Luc Janssens said:

The deck lid is the same on all models of the 68 Coronet; whether its convertible, hardtop or sedan.

Edited by GMP440
  • Like 1