Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toxic-Q Holden Kingswood

stitchdup

I really was trying to build it box stock but after looking at the street machine website this jumped out at me. Dont worry, the front will drop down once i cut the centre console to fit the dash. Speaking off the interior, the only stock part is the interior floor. Everything else is either heavily modified or scratchbuilt. I was close to using the kit engine since its a twing turbo ls but decided to use a cut down 3d printed blackboxstl 572 with crossram induction instead since it was closer to the real car. I'm not going to chop this even though the real car is chopped 2 inches as it seems like more work than its worth, and risks this ending up in the spares box if it goes wrong. I am finding the kit plastic a bit funny, its almost like its not quite styrene as my humbrol and revell poly cements aren't always sticking parts. It has a tendency to fur up like polythene does when you sand too fast too. It might just be me, or that my glue is more than a year old now too

DSC07996.JPG

DSC07997.JPG

DSC07998.JPG

DSC07999.JPG

DSC07992.JPG

DSC07993.JPG

DSC07994.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Brockc said:

I’ve currently ordered this kit and I plan on building it as a 80s aussie street car but this looks really good

I like the kit. I intended to build it box stock but when i saw toxicQ i just couldn't. I'll be getting another at some point, maybe the drag engined one so i dont need to cut it up so much, lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

I like the kit. I intended to build it box stock but when i saw toxicQ i just couldn't. I'll be getting another at some point, maybe the drag engined one so i dont need to cut it up so much, lol

If you build one as an 80s one I’ve got some magazines I could send you some pictures of the cars in them 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 11:56 AM, Brockc said:

If you build one as an 80s one I’ve got some magazines I could send you some pictures of the cars in them 

feel free to post them anyway, a bit of inspiration never hurt anyone and you guys had soom cool cars the rest of us never got

I've actually got this back on the bench just now, i've fitted an iceman chassis to it so there more cutting and bodywork to come. I've decided against chopping it due to the kinda funky way the glass is done but that due to its diecast roots. Hopefully have some pics later today

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I've actually got this back on the bench just now, i've fitted an iceman chassis to it so there more cutting and bodywork to come. I've decided against chopping it due to the kinda funky way the glass is done but that due to its diecast roots. Hopefully have some pics later today

Cool hopefully mine arrives today 

I've made up some new door panels but i'm going to scrap the handles and start over. I got them completely the wrong shape. The challenge will be getting them to look right and fit with the seats.
DSC08969.thumb.JPG.9f41d6cc5c962be861b350c8d4e2911a.JPG
I've still got a load of shaping to do on the dash but its getting there. once its right i can finish off the centre console.
DSC08974.thumb.JPG.ded499efa003b1fa9c21707253646f1d.JPG
I've also reworked the trunk. i removed the floor and will be using the chassis plate as the floor. If i get it right i should be able to use the chassis fuel tank to copy a detail from the real car and have an opening flap over the fuel tank. I've reshaped the tank to move it further back in the chassis to help with this.
DSC08973.thumb.JPG.3c154cee4d990933d167d01243f625dc.JPG
I'm also working on the engine bay. I started by gluing strips of styrene together and then used the same to fill up the spaces. I then cut out a lot of the engine bay sides. I'll be taking the dremel to this later to get the wheels to fit again. then i can continue shaping the visible parts. It would probably be easier to scratch build a new bay but doing it this way retains the kit mounts for most parts and should make assembly simpler later as none of the mounts have changed. I'm using this engine for mock ups but will be modifying an intake to be close to the real car. As you can see the engine is taller than the body so i'll have to make a cowl hood. I'm not looking forward to that cos the plastic isn't very nice to get to stick, even using superglue. I'll probably give the underside of the arches a layer of epoxy around the edges later as i just dont trust the glue to hold.
DSC08970.thumb.JPG.1f25dae19f42645fcb4b2458a9fb3a92.JPG

DSC08975.thumb.JPG.495d1942bb2c2a84f88d744aaf85f166.JPG

DSC08971.thumb.JPG.3aa7de0ecff7ae1fa970674ef9f0dd89.JPG
I've also fitted an iceman chassis. at the rear i cut the floor after filing it smooth, while at the front I've notched it ready for the chassis. Once i get the engine bay finished enough I'll cut the front off at the firewall and cut the chassis. I'm leaving it as late as possible as we all know how things can move before paint and i want to minmimise that possiblity. I'll probably end up replacing the front of the engine bay too and fitting a radiator as it can be seen through the grille, even though there is an engine cover that hides it from above.
DSC08968.thumb.JPG.44c2da499d40c147fb3cf202a201a0ed.JPG
I've got to add some more depth to the sills. This has been done on the real car and will allow the chassis to be hidden and the side exit exhaust. I'll be cutting under the rear seat to get the exhaust in and will probably not be very efficient due to a lack of space for silencers but we'll see what happens when we get there

DSC08972.thumb.JPG.9a57e226fe833517eb07c1fd7cb78736.JPG

• Like 2

A bit more progress. the chassis now fits the body and floor. i've got the engine bay mostly fabricated and i think i wont have to build a cowl hood as the engine mounts lower now theres no floor to the bay. I've also panelled in under the arches just so its a bit neater looking. i'll be removing a little more plastic from the top edge of the engine bay and interior tub to tighten the fit a bit more. I've also extended the sills so they are now double the depth but i think i added too much as the front and rear look to be too far from the ground now. I'm going to give adding some more depth to both some thought before i cut any plastic. I'm pretty sure all the big fabrication is done now, apart from making space for the exhaust, so its going back over it and adding the details and filler now.

DSC08980.thumb.JPG.9bda319f89429fd9ab5b6fc72ebda5d1.JPG

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.57a0ebb859e5c00e7e3af42ec991ddd0.JPGDSC08979.thumb.JPG.b57a04ec116a3842774780af155ff38d.JPGDSC08978.thumb.JPG.2caebacca97741384eeacb8741b9c5fc.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the plastic they used for this kit is awful to work with. model glues dont work, most superglues are letting go after a couple of days and the model filler i can use as glue dont stick to the plastic. going to give it one last go with araldite epoxy and if it dont stick this is going in the bin. every time i do any work on it parts are coming apart so i'm glad i didn't chop it now, and might go for a flatter induction on the engine to save cutting the hood. I guess the scottish stubborness is showing itself because i just want to beat it now and i really dont care if its just in primer

• Sad 2