Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Plymouth Superbird: WIP

David G.

One of my favorite kits and looking great so far. The interior is very nice! One thing, though.......the rear panel appears to be flush with the body when it should be inset a bit.  Compare the picture of yours to the picture of the real one. It's an easy fix, IF you haven't painted it already. 

70_Suprbird_17.jpg.9c229128cf62aaddfeef54869103ce75.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-27 062346.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 5:37 AM, roadhawg said:

One of my favorite kits and looking great so far. The interior is very nice! One thing, though.......the rear panel appears to be flush with the body when it should be inset a bit.  Compare the picture of yours to the picture of the real one. It's an easy fix, IF you haven't painted it already. 

70_Suprbird_17.jpg.9c229128cf62aaddfeef54869103ce75.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-27 062346.jpg

Thanks for your kind comment and the input Tommy.

I think it comes down to a lack of depth in the casting. Looking at the model, pushing the rear panel farther into the body shell would certainly give it an appearance more similar to the actual car. But doing so would leave a sharp step between the body shell and rear panel rather than the smooth looking transition that the car has.

Yes, the rear panel does look a little too shallow this way. But considering the amount of work it would take to correct it, I decided that this is one of those little shortcomings that I can live with.

Besides, it's already painted. :) 

David G. 

Hello Everybody!

After a few months off to literally get my house back in order (we're doing a major remodel) I'm back. At least for a while.

I sprayed the first color coat on the body and pulled it together for this test fit.

70_Suprbird_18.jpg.29d8d8691c37a9b6307c0f324a1540c8.jpg

Everything seems to be working together well enough to proceed with the next step.

70_Suprbird_19.jpg.21a002d41e8fcfd1235083d18c91df32.jpg

Now that the rear spoiler has been satisfactorily assembled, it's time to get it ready for painting. Here is some primer and a little putty back-fill to smooth the seams.

70_Suprbird_20.jpg.829bb3ad0517a7b41f755591bcf72624.jpg

With the smoothing and sanding done, it's time to prepare for the first color coat.

70_Suprbird_21.jpg.bf450a5bd777b7eb2144077d3bff51c7.jpg

The paint went on well enough with only one or two minor errors which I can easily address between coats.

70_Suprbird_22.jpg.69a9ce973a7acac92d71e370b0b49aa9.jpg

Now, it's on to the next activity!

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel to comment if you so desire.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Corrected some information
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

It feels good to be getting back to the bench.

I sanded out most of the imperfections and have it masked for the second and hopefully final color coat.

70_Suprbird_23.jpg.c4028ecd99bd8cb2f48933d807bee64b.jpg

The paint went on well enough, now to let it cure for the final rub-out and polish.

70_Suprbird_24.jpg.cbfe1243b32807bcdbef41d20036f968.jpg

That's all until I get some more photos edited... or taken... or work done. It's one of those, I just forget which it is.

Anyhow, thanks for taking a look and please feel free to let me know what you think.

David G.

• Like 2

Just found this and am definitely liking what I'm seeing Dave. That vinyl top looks GREAT  man. I hear you on the limitations of the kit in regard to the rear panel but it still is turning out to be a fantastic looking build buddy.

Following......

Edited by mustang1989

21 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Just found this and am definitely liking what I'm seeing Dave. That vinyl top looks GREAT  man. I hear you on the limitations of the kit in regard to the rear panel but it still is turning out to be a fantastic looking build buddy.

Following......

Thanks Joe. I should have more to post soon.

David G.

I like the work that you have done to get the black vinyl roof right, and especially the seams . . . This is a nice shade of orange for the paint finish. How long do you leave the painted bodywork to cure? Myself I tend to leave it for around 5 days . . . These big American cars of the '70's always get my attention, and usually I favour Pontiac, Ford and Chevrolet in particular, but more recently I have shown interest in Plymouth, Lincoln, Buick and Cadillac . . . The Hudsons are of course early 1950's.

David W.

19 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

I like the work that you have done to get the black vinyl roof right, and especially the seams . . . This is a nice shade of orange for the paint finish. How long do you leave the painted bodywork to cure? Myself I tend to leave it for around 5 days . . . These big American cars of the '70's always get my attention, and usually I favour Pontiac, Ford and Chevrolet in particular, but more recently I have shown interest in Plymouth, Lincoln, Buick and Cadillac . . . The Hudsons are of course early 1950's.

David W.

Thank you David. I wish I could take credit for making the vinyl top but it was already cast on the model and all I did was paint it. But I am pleased with the way that bit turned out. Thank you.

As for the paint, I usually try to allow a week, or at least the better part of one. Living in the desert Southwest things tend to dry rather quickly and I've worked Tamiya lacquer in as little as two days.

Among all the model car kits available to build, I tend to favor almost anything from the 1930's up through the 1970's depending on my mood at the time.  I also occasionally build aeronautical, naval, space and fantasy & science fiction models too. I really don't like to limit myself. If something appeals to me, I'll build it. 

That's why I named my FaceBook profile "Model Cars, Mostly". It's what i build.

Thanks again,

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I managed to get a couple of build sessions in and here's what I accomplished.

The iconic beak for the Superbird Is painted, assembled and ready for decals.

70_Suprbird_25.jpg.11ed6eac9841eb6f54018ea17b34d8fd.jpg

On the lower section, the directions suggest that the transparent driving light covers should be painted flat black. I guess they're supposed to match the grille. During my research, it seemed to me that most of the Superbirds I saw had driving lights visible behind the covers. I just couldn't let it go that easily so I painted the light sockets behind the covers with Molotow chrome and did a little detail painting on the covers framing them in flat black. I also highlighted the mesh covers with a little flat black dry-brushing. It's a pretty fine mesh so it doesn't show that well.

70_Suprbird_26.jpg.41b0d9345899cec21036386c9862a03d.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, David G. said:

Hello Everybody!

I managed to get a couple of build sessions in and here's what I accomplished.

The iconic beak for the Superbird Is painted, assembled and ready for decals.

70_Suprbird_25.jpg.11ed6eac9841eb6f54018ea17b34d8fd.jpg

On the lower section, the directions suggest that the transparent driving light covers should be painted flat black. I guess they're supposed to match the grille. During my research, it seemed to me that most of the Superbirds I saw had driving lights visible behind the covers. I just couldn't let it go that easily so I painted the light sockets behind the covers with Molotow chrome and did a little detail painting on the covers framing them in flat black. I also highlighted the mesh covers with a little flat black dry-brushing. It's a pretty fine mesh so it doesn't show that well.

70_Suprbird_26.jpg.41b0d9345899cec21036386c9862a03d.jpg

David G.

The Molotow Liquid Chrome for the light sockets is very effective, and the dry-brushed mesh covers works well too . . . 

David W.

Hello Everybody!

I was able to get a little more done on the Superbird over the weekend.

I got the engine bay detail painted. That's as much as I'm going to do with it.

70_Suprbird_27.jpg.b46507eceb91c99b8f6cf4bc372d074f.jpg

I did get more than this done but it's not finished to a point where I can post it yet. Hopefully soon.

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 5:25 AM, David G. said:

Hello Everybody!

I found time and energy to finish up the little bit of prep on the body and get it painted along with some of the other associated bits and bobs. I'm pretty pleased with the results. There are some small dust bits and other flaws but nothing that a bit of attention won't fix.

The spoiler is almost smoothed out and ready for paint too.

70_Suprbird_18.jpg.4036dcbc45810c4222f4632b69c2a60d.jpg

I'm starting to think that I can live with the slight warp in the hood, though I may try one more time to straighten it.

Also, the nose piece is misaligned because it's just being held in place for the photo with a bit of masking tape . 

70_Suprbird_19.jpg.f6050e4d45bfe21ec56d105fb7423a8a.jpg

David G.

Boy it looks great!!!!