Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 GMC stepside wide tires needed

fshoemake

I have come to you guys for help in the past and have never been disappointed. I am building the original version of the AMT GMC 72 stepside pickup. I need some wide tires for the back and some wide but not as wide for the front.The ones it comes with are 2 piece and arent quite wide enough.I would like something close to the look of the pic on the side of the box.not looking for pro street wide but something like you would of seen on the streets back in the late 70s and 80s.I will trade for a set or if you know a aftermarket supplier.Thank you in advance because you guys always come thru for me.

20230429_182118.jpg

On 5/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, fshoemake said:

I would like something close to the look of the pic on the side of the box.

.....might you be looking for these?

0506231733_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

I have the original kit tires and wheels on a restoration project. I’m never going to use them. Let me know if you still need em.

image.png

1 hour ago, Khils said:

.....might you be looking for these?

0506231733_HDR.jpg

Not the same kit guys. That's the MPC '72 Chevy kit, his is the AMT GMC.

,, And those 2 piece tires are the same as shown on the box, notice the driver's side tire in the illustration even has the seam down the middle. 

Depending on your tire stash, you can actually make you own wider tires by offset splitting four tires to make two using a hobby knife. After splitting them 60/40 or 70/30 you can glue the two pair of larger halves together with black RTV.

Wheels and tires.JPG

HO Olds rear.jpg

68 Chevelle SS 396 LR.jpg

DSCF0250.JPG

70 RS rear 1.jpg

Guys, IF, Freddy is looking for the original tires that came in the kit they look like this,,

IMG 3115

They are 2 piece and came in a lot of kits back in the '70s and early '80s.

From the original post it sounds like he only has the stock tires that came in the kit , they were also 2-piece but much smaller.

Edited by Can-Con

• 4 weeks later...