Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

21 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

That's the video on Green Stuff Chrome that I looked at Jim. Thanks for putting it up on this thread.

I must say that it looks impressive, especially the chrome being simply grabbed onto the figure.

It will be interesting to learn what people who have used it think about it.

I just ordered some of the brush type and am going to do some small parts

I used Green Stuff World's brush paint Chrome to cover up the bare plastic surface when I enlarged the center hub hole in this mag wheel from Revell's "Beatnik Bandit": 

IMG_4228.JPG.927a9c0031c1a66c6e7c5b2034139a48.JPG

On 1/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, tim boyd said:

I painted an original issue MPC 1970 Challenger front bumper with Revell chrome about ten days ago.  Back in the day (er..that would be 1971...) I had partly removed the front bumper guards for a Pro-Stock project; so for this test I had to finish removing the bumper guards, then sand that area to a smooth finish as well as sand off all the remaining original plating.  The first round was 360 grit, followed by 500 and finished with 1500. 

I then applied  a single, pretty heavy coat of Revell Chrom.  It flowed really nicely and gave a glass smooth appearance out of the  spray booth.  Looked equally good after a day (no sign of any sanding or mods to the part).  Yesterday (about 10 days after) it still looked just as smooth. So far no issues after light handling, and still a perfect finish.  No dehydrator in this case, and no clear coat.  Very, very encouraging.   At least so far.  Clearly superior to anything else I've tried.   TB  

Update.  When installing the front bumper on the model (probably about 3-4 weeks after spraying it with chrome, the edges of the bumper showed discoloration from holding the bumper in place as the Five Minute Epoxy (main body was a resin rebop) dried.  So....looks like I will need to use ClearCoat in the future.  Tried to order SpaxStic Clear Chrome spray but they were sold out; did acquire it in airbrush form.  Area of bumper that was not touched during install still looks great.   

You can see the discolored area on the portion of the bumper that faces the driver's side front...

image.png.1e337ec1a6dd9b68e39704a623f216ed.png  

Best....TIM 

AMT '29 Ford roadster, stripped the chrome and shot it with Revell spray chrome. I use nitrile archival gloves when handling the "re-chromed" parts and have zero issues with marring the parts.

It's  shiny but looks more like nickel than chrome which in this case is OK as Hank used nickel plating on most of the shiny bits instead of chrome.

For what it's worth I prefer Green Stuff World Chrome for airbrush as it looks more like chrome and seems to be more durable than Revell Chrome and certainly not nearly as costly.

20240322_093243.jpg

20240322_093915.jpg

20240322_093356.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mothersworry said:

AMT '29 Ford roadster, stripped the chrome and shot it with Revell spray chrome. I use nitrile archival gloves when handling the "re-chromed" parts and have zero issues with marring the parts.

It's  shiny but looks more like nickel than chrome which in this case is OK as Hank used nickel plating on most of the shiny bits instead of chrome.

For what it's worth I prefer Green Stuff World Chrome for airbrush as it looks more like chrome and seems to be more durable than Revell Chrome and certainly not nearly as costly.

20240322_093243.jpg

20240322_093915.jpg

20240322_093356.jpg

Thanks for the info...good suggestion on the nitrile gloves, too!  Cheers...TB

PS - that's a very, very sharp build of that old AMT kit!!!