Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldie

Terry Jessee

The graphics on this model are handpainted. I built it in 1980. Went to Salt Lake in 1981 and showed up in the old magazine then--my first time. The original color was hot pink but the Testors "clear" has really yellowed over time. At one point the tires began to eat the wheels so I replaced them with something a little more modern.

flowerz2.jpg

flowerz.jpg

flowerz3.jpeg

flowerz4.jpeg

flowerz5.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks for posting this, Terry. I remember this model well from the old SAE magazine, and the graphics have always left an impression on me. I found it to be simply stunning. Some random things just get stuck in the brain over the years, and this build is one. I thought it was one of the coolest model paint jobs I had ever seen. Curiously, I was thinking of it just the other day when looking at some nail art decal floral designs, and thinking they would make for neat low-rider graphics, which got me thinking about your very cool paint work once again. It is very interesting to see it now, in colour, after all these years. The detailed photos allow me to see just how lovely this paint work really is. The pink is much darker then I imagined. To this day, it remains one of the my favourite model car paint jobs ever. Thanks again for posting this. I am very glad to see it.

Ah yes, the famous "kid with the wild rosemaling technique."  The colors look great, whether they are as original tints or not.  I'm glad this Ford survived.  You once mentioned that the somewhat similarly decorated Caprice was later reworked.  Thanks for posting these pics.

41 minutes ago, Terry Jessee said:

Not restored--all original except the wheels.

i guess i misread and misunderstood  what you did i thought you redid the paint work exactly as it had been since the clear coat had yellowed